1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Imagine a minion master class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Pixie, Feb 9, 2013.

1. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Commence introduction: Hiya, I'm new to the forum. I usually don't post much about games pre-launch because I tend to get caught up in it and have way too high expectations before the game is out, and because most game developers don't really take note anyways. But in the case of wildstar, first of all I've already looked forward to the game for two years and think it looks better and better with every piece of information, and also, Carbine seems to really care what the community has to say. So I've decided to "allow" myself to be a bit of a pre-launch Wildstar fangirl and get my expectations up, because I feel that if any game can deliver, it's going to be this one. Introduction complete.

Now to the point:
    Remember the Mastermind in COX? For years, me and my boyfriend have been hoping a game would make a minion master type class, one that went further than giving you one pet. One that would allow you to control your own little "gang" or robot army. (The important part here is: Controlling multiple pets simultaneously, not having access to multiple pets but only using one, or one type at a time) However, either this is very difficult to balance (I'm sure it is, really), or most game developers don't consider the possibility.

But with the telegraph system in Wildstar I really think it would not only be possible, but for once the strange skills like swap places with your minion, battle formations etc that some games try to implement would make sense because of the strong visual indicators of what's going on on the battlefield. Minions wouldn't necessarily have to be capable of their own separate skills (though that could work well too), they could work together on skills like rain of bullets, trip wires, shield walls, decoys...

And best of all, with the lore, technology and general feel of Wildstar the minions could be robots of various sizes, upgradeable and customizable. Perhaps each playable race could have their own minion type (looks-wise) creating a nice amount of variation.

And just so it's said: I don't want a minion master class INSTEAD of a hunter type class with a single pet. I love having a companion on the battlefield. In the case of a single-pet class I'd want there to be as much personalisation and pet influence as possible, so the pet really becomes your best friend and trusted companion. That is not really necessary with a minion master, a minion is much more expendable after all.

So, what do you think? Are we the only ones who have been missing our own private army in MMO's? Have you had similar ideas? What kind of minion class would you like?
    Scrapple, Evgen88 and Kurik like this.
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I would love to see a class like with lots of minions. They don't have to do a lot of damage (for balance purposes), but sending a small army of minions to my enemies on the battlefield would satisfy me greatly. In my experience pets or minions don't need to do much damage, the extra confusion and annoyances that comes with it for my target makes up for that.

I'm thinking of those little crab robots from the cinematic trailer right now and I would love to have an small army of those!
  3. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Oooh funny, I was re-watching the trailer last night and that's when I thought of robot minions too :)
  4. Wreck

Wreck Cupcake-About-Town

It seems to me that you've not played Guild Wars 2 :) I advise you to check it out. Necromancer with army spec is quite common, I know because I own in PvP with it :D Having 6 minions fighting for me, each with it's own unique ability that I can control, is just insanely fun.
  5. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, I did play the Necromancer, and I enjoyed it too!

It is the closest to a minion master I've seen for a while, but I'd love to see a class where you could upgrade your minions and interact with them even more, and to be honest I don't generally like playing undead, having skeletal minions etc. If a minion master WAS to be implemented in Wildstar, and they DID make the different races' minions slightly different, I think it would be awesome if the unannounced undead-looking Exile race got undead minions though.
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

Yes. A robot squad. Everyone, ready your emails to Carbine so I can have this.
    Joukehainen and Michael Thysson like this.
  7. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

It's good you bring up telegraphs because I think that system would make minion wrangling a little more challenging. They might have to give all minions some aoe resist, or maybe a scatter button that tells them all to move out of the way. The ones with legs at least.

Something I would like to see in a minion class would be the ability to give your minions armor or weapons.
  8. Gray

Gray Podcaster

Managing pets along with myselvis is not something I wind up sticking with...but to your point: That would be an awesome class to group up with because I'd love to just sit back and watch each individual one do their job.

I can envision one of the minions runs around and "battle medics" his other cohorts :up:
  9. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

I would pay good money to have a version of Masterminds added to WildStar.
    Dyraele likes this.
  10. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I never got to play it but was always interested in that game, if you mean the code breaking one. I wouldn't mind this either.
  11. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

New Microtransaction purchase? :p
    Elward likes this.
  12. Pixie

Pixie Cupcake-About-Town

This is true. Hmm..

The worst way to handle that would be to make the minions lose health in ticks per minute they were summoned. like some games do. The best way would be to make them, as you say, resistant to AOE but not to crowd control, or perhaps take much less damage from AOE. Kind of like how your squad mates in Mass Effect don't take much grenade damage.

It would be important to keep something like minion masters a balanced class. So each minions wouldn't be able to hit like a player of course. Or they would have exceptionally slow cooldowns, or like I suggested, share damage skills between them.

And when it comes to healing, I guess it would be weird if NONE of the minions had any healing abilities, but it would have to a weak DOT heal with a wide enough area to benefit other teammates, and not something that allowed a minion master to play through the solo content in easy mode.

Plus, I for one would expect the minion master character I played to be very weak on her own, with few hitpoints, low personal DPS and few weapons to choose from. I'm sure many would disagree though, and that's OK :notworthy:
  13. nomotog

nomotog Cupcake-About-Town

A low hp minion class might be too easy to snip in PvP, but I still mostly agree that the master herself should be relatively weak. Most of the power should be in her minions.
  14. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

40 man raid;
    38 Minion Masters +~ 190 minion pets
    1 Tank
    1 Healer
    = Zone full of crazy madness.
    mockingfox and Recruiter like this.
  15. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Everyone dies from the lag :D
    ObliviousPrime and Aheadache like this.
  16. Wayoverpowered

Wayoverpowered Cupcake-About-Town

I loved the theurgist with its multiple types of fire and forget (one target, cast and it goes after that target) pets from Dark Age of Camelot.... but I love pets in general. :D MAKE IT SO!
  17. ric00015

ric00015 New Cupcake

The minions from Despicable Me came to mind. I could see those feeling in place in this game.
    spencerBAXLEY and Aheadache like this.
  18. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

OMG I would so be one then.

A minion that is.
    16bitbandit likes this.
  19. spencerBAXLEY

spencerBAXLEY Cupcake-About-Town

OMGOMGOMG! YES! This would be amazing! It'll be interesting to see how WS pulls off pet AI and mechanics (if they end up doing a pet class at all).
  20. ric00015

ric00015 New Cupcake

It might be too much effort to make work, but having minions with different personalities, act differently, perform different tasks would all make the minion master more fulfilling (having all minions be the same would not feel right). Plus, if you add in the humor found in this game, it would be amazing.