1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

In what other aspects of the game would you like to see Carbine's "depth"?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by thtgynmdfsh, Oct 2, 2011.

1. thtgynmdfsh

thtgynmdfsh New Cupcake

Warning: Wall o' Text ahead!

As per the title, I'm interested in finding out what parts of the game people would enjoy seeing Carbine's "depth" implemented. Seeing as the developers want to make the deepest MMORPG to date, and their entire philosophy revolves around piling tons of content in for players to choose how they want to play; what aspect(s) of the game would you like to see having an equal, or nearly equal amount of depth? I, for one, would like to see more depth with NPCs. While we've seen that enemy NPCs already have their own depth, I'd specifically like to see some depth in town NPCs. An example being the merchant archetype: An NPC that populates a town (or on some occasions, wander the world), and sell goods to players. I think an interesting way to give these merchants more depth is by changing the way items are traded between NPC and player.

For starters, instead of just selling an item and receiving currency, you instead place the items in a barter table and at the bottom the sum of their combined value is shown. From here, you can either trade for that amount in currency, you can trade for that value amount in goods, or you can do your own mix until an equal trade is reached. This system of trading allows the selling and purchasing portion of your transaction to happen simultaneously. Now, we can expand upon this even further by addressing a problem I've seen in many MMORPG's, the fact that every vendor in the world, no matter what their wares or amount of business, has a seemingly endless amount of funds to purchase your items with. I know it shouldn't bother me, as it's very convenient as a player to be able to sell all of my useless broken armor and weapons to the local bread salesman, but I think in Carbine's case with Wildstar, they can afford to make that system more dynamic.

A simple idea I have is that every vendor has a passive income of currency and supplies that refreshes every x hours, days, or however long (amount of income and frequency can be decided by their trade). On top of this, they have the income from players who purchase from them, and the items gained when buying from those players. Although, it wouldn't make much sense for a bread vendor to be interested in purchasing armor and weapons from players, so we make these NPCs have their own niche of business where they trade. Blacksmith trades weapons/armor, Alchemist trades herbs and reagents, etc. But, what should happen if an NPC was running low on funds or supplies? In the case of the former, the NPC could have a sale in order to increase the number of purchases (or quite the opposite, jack up the prices of high demand wares), start rejecting the trade of items they have plenty of, or some other creative way of making a profit. As for the latter, an interesting idea would be to allow players (maybe exclusively Settlers) to take a quest to gather materials to supplement their stock for a reward.

A couple other neat ideas I had in mind: Competition between merchants of the same trade by offering better deals than each other, exclusive Settler quests that give merchants access to a higher quality stock of items, donating to a merchant who is low on funds for discounted wares in the future, and having their stock differ season from season.

It also helps if the wares any given merchant has for trade are useful to players in some way, shape, or form.

There's an example of what I mean when I ask where you would like to see depth elsewhere in the game. Carbine is doing a good job of showing us what they mean when they talk about "depth" in their zones, questing, combat, art style, and even music. There are many ways to take a simple concept of an MMORPG and turn it into something dynamic and deep, and I'm interested to see the ideas the rest of you may come up with!
    starspun likes this.
  2. Dragor

Dragor Cupcake

TL,DR

Joke :D

I would like to see more depth in the Dungeons and Raids.
    So that its not just "Go in, kill monsters, Go out" and do it over and over.
    This is what killed WoW for me. It was just everytime the same things to do.
    I want to see some variation inside the Dungeons, maybe some hidden paths and special things to do for every path and maybe some nice videos that you get to see when you enter the dungeon.
  3. Melanie Dawn McGreevey

Melanie Dawn McGreevey New Cupcake

Crafting, i want every item to be special. and pvp, strategic, and fun, not a zerg.
  4. thtgynmdfsh

thtgynmdfsh New Cupcake

@Dragor: Haha, I know right? I tried to make this post as short as possible but the ideas just kept on flowing! As far as depth in Dungeons and Raids, I completely agree. It gets kind of stale following the same exact routine through a raid or dungeon, and kind of kills the experience for me not only as a player, but when I think about it in the context of the game as my character. An idea I would propose (maybe worth writing up a whole new wall of text on) is that the inhabitants of said raids and dungeons are able to learn and adapt to the strategies of those who conquer them, and attempt to employ their own strategies against them. Your idea of hidden paths through dungeons is intriguing as well, maybe dungeons could be given path content similar to questing in the world! An explorer finds a shortcut past a patrol of mobs, a soldier challenges one of the leaders to an honorable duel; I could see a lot of potential there!

@Melanie: I completely and utterly agree with crafting being more deep and special on a person to person basis. In my opinion it ruins the point of crafting if every blacksmith in town is creating "Sword X" and trying to undercut each other for the sales of those who can't craft Sword X. I think it would be much better if crafting instead gave players the tools to create items of their own, and they become more skilled and diverse in their trade as they practice it. PvP is something else I'd agree on; we've seen Blizzard try to make strategic battlegrounds in World of Warcraft, but they do end up just being a zerg with no real coordination (save for those guilds who construct groups who are very serious about winning and do emphasize strategy). Just creating battlegrounds with strategic objective isn't enough; following Carbine's trend of rewarding players for playing, I think they should try and implement some sort of "Teamwork" mechanic in PvP that is similar to Momentum, with a very simple idea in mind: The more you work together, the greater the reward you will recieve.