1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Instanced Nodes

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SirRobin, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Seriously, have I just not noticed these before? Started up GW2 Friday and discovered that it uses instanced resource nodes. As in, you see a node and someone gets to it before you? No problem. They can harvest to their heart's content and it will "exhaust," to their eyes, but for you its good as new. Waiting contently for you to rip its innards out.

I was thrilled to a probably unhealthy degree to see that GW2 does this. Did I just not notice this in other games? Anyone know if WildStar will be the same?
  2. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I hope not. What's wrong with a bit of competition? It's basically giving everyone everything what they need. Sounds totally imbalanced to me.
  3. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah i'd have to agree with the Wolf on this one. I don't like the idea of that. Granted, there is something annoying about clearing to a node and then someone swooping down on a flying mount and harvesting it, but hopefully the system in WS will help to avoid that anyway.

Either way, I think it'd be very hard to balance the economy that way too and, if everyone can harvest the same node once...then surely there has to be a lot less nodes in the area total?
  4. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

You would think it is imbalanced until you actually experience it. Everyone needs so much in the way of materials (especially cooking) that it would be more imbalanced without the instanced nodes. Of course the auction house has been down for maintenance since launch so who knows what may flood there once it is up.

I for one was also thrilled by the way they are doing it. The problem with the "healthy competition" idea is that it is anything but healthy. Take WoW for example. Healthy competition went out the window in favor of plain ole who can be the bigger <REDACTED>. People would constantly swoop in while someone is standing on top of the node fighting the mob that jumped them and ninja the item. At least this method keeps people from being complete jerks.
    ObliviousPrime and Kinky Kel like this.
  5. Kinky Kel

Kinky Kel New Cupcake

To be honest, crafting these days are garbage in MMOs. I'll say it once here and then not harp on about it but imagine the glory of Star Wars: Galaxies crafting.
    The sheer scaleo f that crafting system has yet to be even drawn close to these days. Bring it back with this game, PLEASE!?

ok .. no more about SW:G crafting from me. I tend to go on and on and on about it.
    Maddog Charlie likes this.
  6. Kinky Kel

Kinky Kel New Cupcake

It's not imbalanced. The way the GW2 gathering system wroks is quite good. Best I've seen in a while.
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

8. Kinky Kel

Kinky Kel New Cupcake

And? This guy played for 32 hours straight and had his entire guild feeding him their mats too.
  9. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

LOL, max level in 3 days, with the last 20 levels of just crafting? I would have thought GW2 would be harder to obtain max level than that. Ah well.
  10. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

^^GW2 = Too easy to level. Please WS, make it take longer to lvl cap. I miss actually learning about the world while leveling.

What do you guys want to bet that a month from now there will peeps screaming on GW2's forums that there is not enough content?

Agreed... crafting in so many games nowadays is useless. Here's to hoping that WS will at least makes crafting viable again. :up:

Hrmmm.... instanced nodes.
    I hated going up to a node to tink it and it not really being there, but I also hated ninjas that would swoop down and steal your node.
    Meh.... Going to have to go neutral on this one. :)
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I'll give it two weeks! Maybe even faster. Plus after reaching endgame, ow wait, what endgame!?
  12. Chrilin

13. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

those people that will be screaming in the forums have not understood the game before buying it. The game would be better without the complainers.

I like the instanced nodes because of all the node stealing I experienced in other games.
  14. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

+10 for carebear features that prevents people from being complete jerks - because some are big enough jerks to always act like jerks unless moderation are implemented and enforced, and they make the virtual world less fun to be in for everyone else except their own type of immature drivel hooligans.

just my 2c on the topic :p
  15. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I'm not sure how one person who plays constantly in order to hit the cap means levelling is "too easy". If it had been your average player hitting 80 within the early access period, I'd agree, but one person does not represent the majority of players. Most are still in the mid ranges. Personally I have 31 hours of playtime right now and I'm only level 22 - that's nearly 8 hours a day.

On-topic: I like the instanced nodes, but I think the need for it is entirely dependent on how they deal with crafting. Instanced nodes are almost a necessity in GW2, as crafting consumes a huge amount of resources. The competition that would've come with shared nodes would be an utter nightmare that I don't even want to think about. :|
  16. Chrilin

From what I read that was 32 hours worth of gameplay. Obviously some people lvl much faster than others, but for me 32 hours says there just isn't enough content regardless of how dedicated the player is. Imo it should be impossible to cap that fast regardless of skill or addiction..... err dedication to the game. Hence too easy.

Sorry for off topic. :)
  17. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

It was 32 hours of gameplay for one person... and that's just right after launch. I wouldn't be surprised if they were in the ongoing beta and put in many times that amount in order to figure out the fastest way to hit 80. At the very least, they spent the beta weekends doing research for this. It takes a lot of work, and it's still not representative of the game - or its population.
  18. Chrilin

Sounds like a interesting topic for a new thread. :)
  19. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

20. Maddog Charlie

Maddog Charlie Cupcake-About-Town

'TAG' and Maddog enters the ring, no I wont go on either but great point Kel having tried everything else out there (Van is a distant second place) SWG did rock the crafting world IMO