1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Instanced Nodes

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SirRobin, Aug 27, 2012.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

I actually watched a small gathering video from GW2 tonight, because my earlier response was based on my opinion as an experienced mmo player.

What I saw in the video was a lot of nodes. And they are instanced. I dunno how many materials you need for something basic, but walking around an area will get you a lot of material for sure. I don't know what the respawn times of the nodes are, they didn't say.

So, after watching the video I can safely say that the concept is cool and could work, if properly balanced.
  2. Danny Nielsen

Danny Nielsen Cupcake

Found this here http://www.tentonhammer.com/wildstar/previews/gamescom-2012 and that sounds pretty cool to me, hope they wont change that. So i think it's a no no on the instanced nodes, would really also ruin it.
  3. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Nice find Danny. I hope that those nodes are random when then spawn again so the bot can't stay at the same node(s). It seems it will be that way so that is good.
  4. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

You are correct, there are quite a bit of nodes. However, there are a couple of other items to note. One, no speed bonuses/mounts out in the world. At least not at lower levels. As such, running to all of the nodes is a lot slower than farming in most levels. In the case of Armorsmithing, it takes 10 copper ore for 5 bronze ingots. Most recipes take at least 2 ingots. Suffice it to say, I farmed for almost an hour in the Sylvari starter the other night and only had maybe 50 (3 ore per node) ore at the end. That 50 ore lasted me all of a few crafting recipes before I was done.

I honestly think that ArenaNet has done a pretty good job of balancing how their crafting system works. Sure, there are those like that French guy who made it to 80 by playing nearly 2 days straight and getting a disgusting amount of crafting mats from the guild just to be the first max level. Unfortunately, that really cannot be helped.
  5. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

Crafting in GW2 works really well... at least most of the time. Discovering recipes is not the funnest. It sucked in Skyrim and it sucks in GW2.
  6. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Discovering recipes sounds like RNG for me and for people who know me, I hate RNG! No wonder it sucks! :p
  7. pseudo

pseudo Podcaster

I don't actually think it's so much as RNG as it is just trying to put disparate parts together. It's a little too tedious for me.

This is coming from someone who doesn't really mind WoW's crafting system though which may invalidate my opinion :p
  8. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

It's definitely not RNG! Each discovery takes specific items to find - you can't just combine a Headpiece Strap and some Headpiece Padding and learn a random head slot recipe. If you put those two items in the discovery slots, you still need to add at least one more item... so if you slap an Insignia of Might in there, you'll get a Headpiece of Might (which is a completely made-up name, but you see what I'm getting at).

It takes some juggling, but there's nothing random about it, and it's actually quite enjoyable, especially when you start veering off the path of "two armor/weapon pieces and an insignia". For example, I learned how to make a bag that will hide the items you put in them from a vendor so you don't sell things on accident by putting some cloth scraps and magic dust together.
  9. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

Hmmm thats kinda cool actually....I too badly miss the SWG crafting system, but to a lesser degree I also miss EQ 1's crafting. It was very basic but you still had to remember what goes with what and the like.

WoW made it just that much too easy IMO - so everyone and anyone was a crafter.

I kinda feel that crafting should be hard to do and hard to get up to max level. Expensive too. BUT, once you got there, you could make that money back and it would be worth it.

For joe usual that just wants the one item, it'd be easier to buy that item from a crafter, rather than pick up the art himself.

If I want a new desk, I go to IKEA, I certainly don't learn carpentry. That said, the carpenter is making a lot of money from his craft. So good luck to him.
  10. Kirathis

Kirathis Cupcake-About-Town

I have found the discovery system to be pretty easy overall. The trick is not trying to learn every pattern as you level. It is a waste of time and materials. Well, except for jewelry. It was kind of needed there. For anyone who would like some good information on the GW2 crafting system check this out.

I never played SWG more than a trial so I never got into the crafting. EQ1's crafting was a pain. Well, the crafting was ok but obtaining world drop materials was ridiculous. A happy medium would be awesome.