1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Instead of Spamming F for breaking out of stuns

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by azmundai, Aug 21, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

yea. no all I really meant was that your action bar keys could change to facilitate button pressing for the stunned state .. definitely there don't need to be other spells / etc. the bars changing isnt even necessary either, was just a thought.
  2. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

Hmm, is it perhaps that you'll have other means of breaking out or other things you can still use while in that state?

Is it perhaps that it also counts for disarm so that would beat the point of it a bit. I generally use F and shift F but not a big deal adjusting seeing how few binds are needed.
  3. salixfire

salixfire New Cupcake

I'm not sure how to fix the "spam F" argument however to me the stun ability seems quite powerful compared to the other CC's. In all the other CC's you can still move (even knockdown as you have to roll to get out of it) however stun seems to keep you rooted. I've not had a go at the game so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. I'd prefer a different way stun worked, for example you could stagger around with a hazy screen or something like that rather than stopped in one place. If they do keep stun as it is you should have an easy way out of it (like knockdown) rather than mash a key (my poor keyboard) or have to do a series of controls otherwise it will be far too powerful in comparison.
  4. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

So you are arguing for something without the need to prove that it makes sense? You obviously don't care that it completely trashes balance, as long as it sounds interesting.

At least that makes sense... I guess if we discard logic, then we can argue anything is a good idea.

There is nothing to fix.
    If you can think of another simple idea, then it could be considered.
    What the OP has is trash. As you said it is already the strongest CC, yet he wants to make it even better. WAY better.

Disorient is basically you staggering around.
  5. azmundai

are you meaning with multiple conditions?

it will be interesting to see how multiple conditions work.

disorient + stun for example, basically is the same thing as stun (assuming the same duration and application time).
    blind has the added issue of not being able to see, so you can't as easily plan your next move after a stun.
    blind + disorient? lol .. thats gotta be hilarious :)
    stun + disarm seem logical to be applied together. I wonder though if picking up your weapon is required, or do you get it back after a duration regardless? Im guessing you have to pick it up, but that wasn't clear to me in the awesome vid.

Lots we don't know.

would be funny for example to see what would happen if when you are disoriented, your action bar gets scrambled too :devilish:

lots of possibilities, I look forward to seeing this system's implementation.
  6. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

To be completely honest i don't like their idea at all it doesn't add anything to being skilled neither will it be fun that you must spamm a key several times in PvP, if anything it will become very annoying i rather take a full duration stun (or base the duration on my interrupt armor mechanic). Some suggestions here sounds ok though.

And for the love of god please don't make it so that blind can be used in PvP. The other stuff seems fun though like the desarm thingie.

Sorry for being negative. :ninja:
  7. Trijity

Trijity Cupcake

Just depends. Think about what you are asking for, in that you want quicktime events.

Now I *completely* agree with you that initially quick-time events sounds much more fun than spamming a button to break free, however my only concern is that:

1.) These stun's are not going to be that long
    2.) There are probably going to be a LOT of them being used (thinking PvP)

It's hard to say what's the worst of the 2 taking into account the above 2 statements. If Im in PvP and I'm getting stunned every fight...which is highly probable.. I don't wanna have to quick-time event 13 times a match, I'd actually rather just mash to break free. Also since many stuns will probably be short you may in many cases be just spammed with letters on the screen and it probably won't be a fun experience.

However, I like your idea. I just don't know if it will add any "fun" to the game.
  8. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

The F key spam breakout is a dumb idea that hopefully gets squashed in beta. I think this is the most disappointing idea I've seen them come up with so far in the months I've been keeping up with the game. It adds nothing positive to the gameplay at all, since after the first few times of doing it you'll just have the minimum duration every time (unless you are bad I guess). Balance the CC (duration adjustments, diminishing returns, etc.) and scrap this unskillful and tedious button mashing nonsense. There's no reason to even give them suggestions on alternative methods for this, because it's a horrible idea.

I do, however, like the way the CCs actually work. Disorient is hilarious, and both disarm and blind work the way I always thought they should in games.
  9. Ramminar Dixon

Ramminar Dixon Cupcake

Making a spam macro was the first thing I thought of doing when I saw that you had to mash F to break CC. The devs need to consider some people will do anything for an advantage and think from their perspective.

Making CC interactive is a great idea, but it absolutely needs to be done right or it will completely ruin PvP.
  10. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

That would be so easy to fix numerous ways.
    The easiest would be to have a minimum allowed time between recognized Keystrokes.
  11. selodaoc

selodaoc Cupcake-About-Town

12. Baeldan

Baeldan Cupcake-About-Town

That's a partial solution, but it still means macro users have an advantage over others. I like the idea someone suggested of having random input keys appear so you have to perform a random QTE. But then you have a problem with input devices - gamepads and Nostromos probably would have difficulty performing input with the movement keys. Perhaps the QTE should be limited to left and right mouse buttons - a random sequence of the two where an incorrect keypress locks the input for, say, 0.5-1 second. Macros would be at a heavy disadvantage and as far as I know there isn't a hardware setup for MMOs that doesn't use a mouse. Except Apple mice with their 1 button but they can just use their context key thing.
  13. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Actually I would say that you can… if you think of it every single time.

As for the proponents of a more complicated stun breaker; I think it’s <REDACTED>ing easy to call something simple or boring when you’re playing armchair quarterback.
  14. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I am very much opposed to having "quicktime event" style breakouts. Those just get annoying in the heat of combat. Button jamming is fine, or having a dedicated "break-out" button, but you shouldn't have to seek out multiple different buttons. That's bad enough on a controller, where everything is very fixed relative to your thumb, it would be a nightmare on a keyboard.
  15. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah, I've never really been a fan of button mashing, and this could cause real issues for dungeons and raids. Many people would be getting kicked out of groups for not spamming fast enough. Some people just don't have the fine motor skills for it and it could even be a game breaker for them. No, they shouldn't be stumbling into CC, but often it is unavoidable.

All other CC involves tactical thinking and quick decision making without the limiting factor of fine motor skills. With stuns we can't attack or move in the world, but it there a way to fight for control of your own body? Perhaps similar to OP's idea of key presses, but using your hotbar abilities to break through a "mental barrier" enemy? This way the action never stops, but instead just changes focus from external to internal.
  16. azmundai

almost as easy as it is to make your self look like an asshat for flying off the handle because someone has a suggestion for a game that advertises that "The Devs Are Listening."
  17. azmundai

lol. win.
  18. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

"some people" don't have the skill for a lot of things, apparently console gamers have more skill than anyone.
  19. Praxis

Praxis New Cupcake

Mashing a key to get rid of CC is about the most horrible MMO idea I've heard. Whoever came up with this... needs to be seriously re-evaluated as a designer.
    Kleev likes this.
  20. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

In attempting to take a cheap shot at my comment you've missed the entire point.

MMOs in particular involve heavy and extended play. It doesn't matter what you play on, button mashing gets tiresome very fast and if I had to do it every 5 minutes due to CC I would simply stop playing the game, as would many others. Being able to button mash constantly over 200+ hours of play does not make someone a better or worse player than anyone else, just more tolerant of mindless pain. There is no skill in mashing. I'm not talking about auto-aim. I'm not talking about 'I win' buttons. I'm talking about muscle exhaustion.