1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Interracial relationships

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Shahdee, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Shahdee

Shahdee New Cupcake

No, this is not about whites dating latinos, or asians dating blacks.

Lets talk about interracial relationships in Wildstar. After watching the last Hobbit movie (Desolation of Smaug), I thought it was pretty sweet how they deal with the dwarf-elf relationship. It kept me hooked to my chair, wanting to see more about how things would develop. I'm sure I'm not the only one that felt this way. People like that kind of stuff, men or women alike.

Which got me into thinking, how are race relations in Wildstar? Is there a mutual hatred for all races alike that it would be impossible for different races of different factions to develop friendships and possibly romance? This is the kind of thing, as minor as it might seem, that hooks some people into playing a particular game. Even more so a social game such as a MMO.

Thoughts and takes on this?
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Friendships are absolutely possible.

Relationsships/romance....well yes....but don't expect to see kids from such a couple anyway for various reasons.
    Just seeing how many Exile peeps got pictures of Female draken in their rooms....it'll surely happen.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Chua hybrids....

...EW!
  4. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

they would need the same amount of chromosomes and (cough) compatible methods:oops:
  5. Domi Dayglow

Where do baby Mechari come from?
    Sybylum likes this.
  6. Dirty Outlaw

Dirty Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

hmm considering the races are aliens to each other wouldn't this be interspecies relationships
  7. TrueMyst

TrueMyst New Cupcake

THAT was what kept you hooked? Well, each to their own. I nearly forgot about that part.

But yeah, in regards to the topic, I don't see any reason why relationships can't happen. Nature kinda gets in the way when kids are involved. Unlikely we'll see any cross-breeds about. Unless they're close genetically. MAYBE Aurin will have a close enough genetic make-up to humans. I doubt it's anywhere in the lore though. So by default, as we haven't seen any, it's a no.
  8. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Trying to imagine a Male Aurin with a Female Draken. Pretty amusing image
    Sybylum likes this.
  9. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

When a daddy mechari and a mommy mechari love each other very much, they get together in a dark room and get very close together. Then they write on a piece of paper what they like of qualities in a child. Then they send the paper to the magic stork, who then delivers it to the Eldan in their secret workshop on the north pole. There they make the baby mechari and teleport it into the parents loving arms. The baby then rapidly adjusts and grows to adulthood in the manner of 2 minutes 24 seconds. And that is where mechari come from.
  10. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

Well, to be fair, in fantasy worlds and sci fi, there tends to be a lot of not logical cross breeding bearing all manner of halfbreeds. for example, in wow orcs have a half breed of just about anything. D&D has a half template for just about anything you can think of. Those of you talking genetics, well, it's really up to the people rollplaying the scenario wether or not they wanna bother with complicated stuff like that...
  11. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

Aurin and human are likely the most compatible.

Draken might come from actual eggs.....
  12. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Friendship? Yes. Romance? Yes. Kids? Nooooo...

I mean, the only two that can reproduce are Cassians and Exile Humans.

Granok and mechari are just crossed off immediately, one's rock and one's metal. We can hypothesize the possibility of cellular structure that takes the appearance of rock/metal, and we can hypothesize that they begin life as fleshy beings with biological structure that later begins a mineral deposition process and look increasingly similar to rock/metal --- But even if those are the case, the process of doing that is way too complex to be able to survive a mixing with a gene pool that doesn't have a clue of that process. Even if they have the same chromosome numbers and is able to fuse sperm and egg with another race, the embryo won't last through even the first few divides without dying from a royally messed up system. You'd need some serious, serious, serious mutation for the embryo to even reach the first differentiation.

Chua doesn't happen either. Because no other race can even tell the difference between their genders but themselves. Other races gotta really re-work their x and y chromosomes to even have a chance of interbreeding with the Chua.

Aurin has sexual dimorphism, and it is the reverse of those in other races, this already is a hint of disaster for interbreeding, because many genes and expressions will correspond to vastly different or even opposite tasks, mixing these two systems can be disastrous. It is also reasonable to assume that Aurins are of rodent/feline descent, which have split off from primates long ago and have not a chance of interbreeding this far down the evolution line. Furthermore, it is possible that Aurins have biological connections to sentient plant life, as they are able to take the form of plants if chosen as Guardians. So even though they look similar to humans/Mordesh/Draken, I highly highly doubt they can interbreed with any of them.

Draken, I heard they come from eggs. 'Nuff said. But otherwise, I say it's mildly, mildly possible for them to interbreed with maybe the humans. Horned and none-horned species, tailed and none-tailed species, can interbreed in some cases as long as other physiological and evolutionary aspects are similar. But if I have to bet on it, I say no. They can't. They have webbed hair that looks like hooked tentacles. We have hair. No.

Now Mordesh and humans, this is the only combo that I actually think may happen. Given the pessimistic outlook on how the Mordesh demographic will turn out in the future, it's also a good idea for them to look into interbreeding with humans. They surely have the medical knowledge to make gametes from any cells on the body, hell they might not even need that --- as long as the Necrosis doesn't affect their reproductive organs yet, and as long as the Everlife Elixir doesn't interfere with their reproductive cycle, then they can just do it the natural way. The process of bearing a child for months will likely be very difficult for a Mordesh female who needs to change all the fluid on her body every day, but it might be not so bad on a human female with a Mordesh father. So there's advantage that will be in favor of the Mordesh. As for humans, well. Mordesh are taller and smarter. And you can cross your finger hoping the baby doesn't inherit the necrosis and hence needs to be cut up and stiched together with tubes as soon as he's born along with being vulnerable to the contagion. Actually, if the fetus inherits necrosis, and if this necrosis acts right away, it may just kill the fetus in the womb, and since it is necrosis this may spread to the mother and kill the mother too. Hmmm maybe not so good of an idea after all. Mordesh females can probably just fill their womb with the serum to keep the child alive and deliver a baby much easier than a human. Then again, the serum (or the Everlife Elixir) may just halt all bilogical processes stopping growth all together. Hmmm...

I digress. The point is, the only two species that I think are capable of interbreeding are Humans and Mordesh. It is reasonable to assume that they may have had common ancestry many many many years ago, which certainly helps with the interbreeding.
    Miatog and Sybylum like this.
  13. RedEyes

RedEyes New Cupcake

I think I have that thing about aliens. What's bad in Cassian dating Mechari, Granok or even Chua? ;) I think love isn't about body but about mind (such esper logic). Sure they won't have babies. Maybe it's possible between Cassian, Exiles and Aurin but other species aren't humanoid enough for me. Or maybe they can? Aurins look like hot romance between Exiles and Chua. : D
    ManekiNeko:D likes this.
  14. ManekiNeko:D

ManekiNeko:D New Cupcake

um carbine said them selves darken give live birth.....oh and they also said mordesh cannot procreate
  15. Domi Dayglow

Biologically no race should be able to produce a hybrid with the others. Barring deranged Eldan super science which we know the Eldan themselves used on ancient Cassians to create hybrids. Otherwise, it's kind of like mating a squid with a horse. Sort of doesn't work from a DNA point of view.

Also....do chua lay eggs?

And....are Lopps hybrids Eldan created from chua and aurin?

Also! Mordesh? Did the everlife serum make them all sterile and doom the race so a slow demise?

Also, also! Uhm....do granok give birth to boulders?
    Sonntam likes this.
  16. Chris StarShade

Chris StarShade New Cupcake

Whether hybrid species children are possible between any two races is directly related to how Star Trek the world will turn out to be.

The more star trek, the more likely hybrids are possible. Even if they are impossible, they will become possible. Somehow.
    Insert technobabble here.
  17. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Actually, depending on how much difference there is between the species, they may be able to crossbreed and just give an unfertile offspring...

But really, why does it even matter if they can have kids? It's not like it's all about them only and even if someone really needs a little, whiny parasite in their relationship there's always adoption...

Now that'd be interesting - a Mechari couple rising a little Draken.
  18. Felion

Alright, so Draken MAY be able to cross-breed --- assuming they're of a primate descent that just happens to evolve reptilian features. But between their eyes, webbed skins and so on, it's a lot more reasonable to assume that they're of mammal-like reptilian descent, which place the evolutionary crossroad between them and humans hundreds of millions years ago at the very early stage of the divergence between reptile and mammals. The genetic difference between Draken and humans would be greater than human versus horse or human versus bats. Still a lot more reasonable than human versus rock though.

Mordesh can't reproduce --- This is somewhat expected from a lore point of view, I mean you're not really properly doomed as a species when there can be tons of kids running around carrying it on. However, they're biomed freaks, and Wildstar is a sci-fi game, doesn't hurt to speculate WHY they can't reproduce --- First, they're not dead, they just suffer from massive spontaneous necrosis, which would attract and enable the spread of a virus called Contagion. So in theory, they can still create gametes and if the mother can stay for months without her womb undergoing necrosis, she should be able to carry a child. Making gametes shouldn't be a problem, but staying none-affected by necrosis for 10+ months is going to be difficult. Necrosis can be halted by applying the serum, but the serum may very likely have some consequences --- Halting necrosis means either stop the intra-cellular communication caused by sudden cell-death to prevent a chain reaction of suiciding tissue, or boosting the immuno-response and initiate proper clean-up after cell death. From the looks of things, the former seems like their way of going about it, and that essentially just freezes their body by cutting down communication. It's not hard to imagine that one of the consequences of the serum is infertility, though this still has more to do with the actual embryo developing into a baby over a long long 10 months, than meiosis --- which happens quick, happens a lot, and is prioritized over many other processes in the body. Also, we don't know about the process of changing the serum in their body but apparently they have to do it everyday. So even if the serum is perfectly harmless to the development of a baby inside the female body, the daily serum changing process itself may simply suffocate/starve the fetus before it even builds up a proper resistance/tolerance.

Now aside from the serum which was supposed to halt necrosis, the Everlife Elixir which gave them the massive necrosis to begin with, may have interfered too much with the body and there's no guarantee what would have gone wrong due to it. We know that the elixir targets "everlife", which in molecular biology terms translate to eternal equilibrium and a cell cycle that undergoes absolutely no decay in its renewal stages. This means preventing DNA strands from shortening with each replication, this means providing a renewal stage to many many cells in the body that do not undergo frequent cycles, etc. It's a huge, huge, huge project and there's absolutely no doubt that somewhere, something's messed up. Can this system mess with their fertility? Definitely, it targets so deep into the system, not just fixing the symptom like the serum does, so it very likely may mess things up at a system level. In other words, the infertility comes with the necrosis, all caused by the Everlife Elixir.

The question is, given their advanced medical knowledge, I have a hard time believing that the Mordesh do not have their genome completely mapped out. They may even know the specific functions for each proteins already. Making gametes out of germ cells is also not that hard, if we can do it then it's child play for them --- That is, assuming they can't produce gametes naturally within their body anymore, because I still think that step may still be functional in their body. It could be that due to either the serum or the elixir, their germ cells are messed up, but I doubt it --- I don't care how advanced the serum is and how well it can preserve cells, Mordesh are metabolizing organisms that often engage in heavy movements/work, they NEED a steady stream of cellular renewal to various organs, the complete freeze of germ cells will 100% mean a rather quick and certain death of him no matter how hard he tries. So from there we see that gametes shouldn't be a problem, the Mordesh can get a hold of it one way or the other.

But the actual development cycle lasting for 10 months is going to be very very difficult, espeicially to be performed outside of the body. So this may be the bottleneck that prevents the Mordesh from creating babies external to their bodies.
  19. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

Nah, wrong again. As much as just giving live birth doesn't prove Draken to be mammals, Carbine already said they are and the only ties to reptiles are their looks. It's kinda like dolphins looking somewhat similar to sharks even though they're not fish like them.

Still doesn't mean human-draken hybrids are possible though.
  20. Felion

I don't know what "the only connection to reptiles is their looks" means exactly, as reptiles and mammals are the first intersection at a class level tracing back from the current mammals. In other words, I wonder what features defines it as mammal regardless of other features resembling a reptile, as many previously thought to be mammalian features have times and again been proven to be none-exclusive in both directions. But the specific classification isn't nearly as important as the evolutionary lineage that the classification represents though, so let's leave it at that. In the case where the classification doesn't really help, we shall look at the divergence path directly. Mammal-like Reptiles have appeared before true reptiles and true mammals, if the Draken are descendents from these, they would likely still be classified as mammal 300 million years down the line AND they would've kept quite a few reptilian features, satisfying both remarks that Carbine has made. However, their evolutionary path would have diverged from that of ours for a whole 300 million years, which still make them less related to us than say horses, or cats.

Disclaimer though, this universe isn't ours, the humans there are not humans here, evolution may be different, physics may be different, any intellectual exercise performed here is merely assumption and will be proven immediately false upon any official information. In other words, Carbine can prove us wrong any moment and that will be the end of that. But! Analysis and speculation can only happen with existing knowledge, it's not like we have a choice, so I'm going to assume that the evolutionary history between Wildstar humans and humans today are similar enough.

Now there is a chance that Draken are of primate descent, perhaps even the great apes, with genetic difference within 3% of humans --- This would be the only situation, at least according to technology and knowledge today, that humans can interbreed with other species. Anything outside of that boundary does not happen, and it matters not how "advanced" or "intelligent" a specie is, genetic history is a far more important indication than behaviour when it comes to the possibility of interbreeding --- We can't interbreed with dolphins or elephants or African Grey Parrots no matter how similar our behaviours can get. Chimps and gorillas, yes, but let's not go there. So in order for Draken to interbreed with us, not only do they need to be descendants of great apes, they also cannot undergo too drastic of genetic change/mutation after the divergence. But you see, horns and webs and tails like that, for a great ape, that's already too much of a mutation. Granted, some physical appearance changes in certain species result from a single gene or very few genes, hence while the appearance vary widely the genetic information is still similar enough, this would be the only situation where Draken would be able to interbreed with humans.

Mordesh, on the other hand, resemble humans so much that given the fact the two species lived on two separate planets, it almost screams common ancestry in the near history of perhaps within a hundred thousand years. Some force, magical or extra-terrestrial or otherwise, must have separated the two species at one point. It's like Neanderthal vs Modern Human, there are some differences even in structures, but ultimately similar enough and can definitely interbreed.

Yet another theory is that the Eldan have a hand in all of this, they somewhat catered to the individuals in each early species that resembled their own humanoid form. As an result, it's semi artificial selection in which different species on different planet that have nearly no common genetic history end up expressing similar features. In this case, none of any of the species can possibly interbreed, as they're truly alien to each other in terms of genetic makeup (even at a molecular level).

And then, since we're talking about Eldan, there are godly magic and super science that will just easily overthrow all of my interpretation above by simply bending rules and make happen.