1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Interracial relationships

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Shahdee, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Ratstomper

Ratstomper Cupcake

How did we go from friendship and romance between races to offspring viability? Nothing says a pair has to be capable of bearing viable offspring to have a relationship, even a strictly physical one. I think the biggest thing would be overcoming cultural differences and finding attraction to one another. As for breeding... well, things don't have to be a tab-A-into-slot-B type thing, but I'm sure you all have imaginations... and that act wouldn't have to produce offspring to be considered.

The real question is this: Are the horse and squid into that kind of thing?
  2. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

Good point! Let's shift our attention to cultures/social dynamics then.

In general, I think they can all make friends. All it takes is to care about each other and communicate without too much difficulty, which is a quality/virtue shared by all species in Wildstar. There might be small cultural clashes here and there, but being in a universe that is so diverse, I suspect most if not all individuals are able to handle these cultural clash situations without becoming dramatic.

Aurins and Mordesh, from starting area alone we already see that they'd have some disagreement. One is deeply connected and dependent on nature, the other needs to suck life out of the environment to survive. But from what I see, many Aurins are smart enough to realize that the Mordesh don't really have a choice here, and their life-force-sucking decisions are no different from organized hunting, just enough to sustain their own existence. So small problems, but I think they can get along just fine. Both Aurin and Exile Humans are friendly and social, while the Granok and Mordesh are relatively more distant --- But not nearly as distant as say, Mechari. So essentially, there will be plenty of inter-species socializing in the Exile.

The dominion races are really bound together by the humans, who are the charismatic and social bunch. Between cold-calculating robots, savage beasts, and mentally unstable destruction experts, the Cassian are indeed the centre of the dominion. Not that they'd be in charge and dominating all the time, the mechari fit that role better, and not that they'd be the best fighter nor the best scientists, but they're absolutely essential in the Dominion, and everyone else seem to know this. I'd say between Mechari, Chua and Draken, there might be some disagreement --- cool head versus hot temper versus crazy, they're extremes. But at the minimum, they can work together under similar objective. As for true friendship, bar for unique circumstances, I think a Cassian is necessary in a group of Dominion friend. Or at least make it a lot easier, you know, resolve conflict, mediate, things like that.

Beyond friendship, I think anything goes. You'd of course still have the general trend of each species attracted primarily to the opposite sex of its own, but interspecies attraction can certainly happen, even in the most unlikely cases. Major limiting factors include Aurin's martriarch system and female dominated society/physiology, Granok's rock-hard outlook on everything, Mordesh's infertility, Draken's polygamy, Cassian's caste system, Mechari's questionable sexual drive, and Chua's mysterious gender. So it surely doesn't just go freely, there are major obstacles to overcome and there are likely events or history that lead up to a certain interspecies pairing. As for cross faction, exiles and cassian definitely have lots of possibilities, Mechari and Mordesh share lots in common, etc. But these pairings are surely very, very, very rare.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  3. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

There is hints in the Aurin and Mordesh starting zone that one of the Mordesh specifically admired the Queen Myala from afar (There is no Human or Granok NPCs in the Aurin starting zone and the log specifically said he or she was NOT an aurin)

Not only that but the Aurin and Mordesh surprisingly enough get along very well despite there differences (A male aurin argues with a mordesh scientist very briefly in one of the camps about Elderoot and whether or not he is a living tree or a creation), this is particularly noticeable in Celestion.

Although this is not to hard to see why Aurin and Mordesh are usually the top scientists of the Exiles of the XAS. There is also a few bloodthirsty Aurin such as Arwick Redleaf (He has his reasons though) that have no problem with Mordesh killing Chua troops with toxic bombs or a few Mordesh that value life probably as much as the Aurin do.
  4. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I remember that note, it talks about eternity and all, very likely a Mordesh admirer.

They definitely have got some synergy going on, I mean ultimately both cultures are heavily reliant on bio-technology. While one focus on molecular biology, the other focus on ecology/zoology, life will be a topic that both would be very interested in, though their approach and goals may vary.

Having said that, the closer you get the more problems may arise. Where as an Aurin and a Granok may just nodd to each other and keep a general friendship, the Mordesh and the Aurin will probably collaborate on many projects, during which details may erupt into conflicts. Such as Arwick asking the player to "talk some sense" into Victor in the starting zone.
  5. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

I think Arwick's biggest thing is he is bound to defend the queen by any means. Also when it comes to Chua, Considering what they are doing to Arboria I think it comes across as chemical warfare is justified. When someone is exterminating your species and strip mining your homeworld I doubt anybody would disagree with use of all forms of weapons against the aggressors.
  6. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I also think Arwick is the ''sword'' of the Queen. It's something she would never (or rarely) do, and Arwick knows that so he takes on the ''job'' instead. This way he acts as the ''sword'' of the Queen and maintaining her purity while taking on all blame himself.

He is one of the few Aurin characters that I really like in the queestlines etc. ....the Queen.....she's a hobo....
  7. Miatog

Miatog Cupcake-About-Town

I have to say, for some reason, reading your posts made my eyes swirl AND made me laugh at the same time. I love it!

On topic though, I agree with what seems to be the general consensus that hybrids are unlikely -IF- Carbine cares about science. If they go more Star Trek well...Roddenberry has been known to say a few times that he really didn't care about the science. Just do what ever sounds good and works well enough.

As far as actual relationships go, I personally see friendship being well accepted across the board (so long as you stick to your side of course). If you start getting much closer than that...well I'm really not sure. -IF- pre-Exiles it was something that was frowned on, I see the Exiles being more accepting, but in that awkward kind of way. "Oh, so, you two are...ah...ok...um...I have a thing...to go to...right now...bye..." Also, I don't see Mechari being involved in this kind of thing at all. I don't see any reason for the Eldin to program it into them.

If you're an orphan that was raised by someone not of your race I'm sure you got a lot of strange looks growing up...and still do today. "Why is that Auran smoking and laughing at random destruction?" "Orphan, raised by a Granok." But I'm sure this would be accepted fine. After all you're raising an orphan! At worst you'd have a fight at adoption to prove you could handle raising another race.
  8. Quietus

Quietus Cupcake

They're probably goofing off with their friends, sucking on one of those Aurin bongs that seem to be under atleast one of the bridges in any Aurin settlement...
  9. filanwizard

I think the only species in WS that could even have a minimal chance of offspring with a human is Aurin . they are likely the closest to human of all the aliens we have seen so far.

Granok well who knows, mordesh we do not even know if they can any more do we?, Draken likely lay eggs, chua are like gremlins just toss in water, and well Mechari come from a factory.

Science says no to even Aurin + human but considering my aurin can throw ice and fire from a pistol I think its best to leave hard science at the door and unless the lore specifically blocks something go ahead with it.
  10. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

actually draken give live birth :D
  11. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

Oh no, I am well aware of the reasons he has for wanting to kill Dominion, Chua specifically but I really was just using him as a example for Aurin that are kind of different from the norm (Aurin in the science logs are referenced multiple times to be no slouch in fighting, they were the predators of Arboria after all and technologically advanced themselves as fast as the Chua) and some Mordesh that are different from the norm (They might be very dismal speech wise but as you learn from the Scientists turning into Ravenous in the Aurin starting zone...they don't want to die, some even treat there experiments like pets like that Mordesh and Squirg in the race release trailer)
  12. Satarn

Satarn Cupcake-About-Town

dsggd.png
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  13. Gingis

Gingis New Cupcake

I think that even in human society, there is not automatically hatred between different 'races' or nationalities, barring a few extremists, but the hatred of those seems more learned than innate. Discrimination? That's more frequent. But in general, if people need to work together towards a common goal, emnity usually shrinks a lot, so I would guess that friendship between the different Wildstar races/species (at least within faction, and possibly cross-faction if they for some reason don't try to kill one another first) would be perfectly possible.

Kids - that depends on the amount of Star Trek versus science. Scientifically, different races having kids together would likely be impossible, especially if societies have lived independently for millions of years. (Chimps and humans have been separated for 'only' 6 million years, and I'm quite certain we can't crossbreed).

The true grey area would be romance. In response to one of the previous posters I should add that it is also possible to be attracted to the same gender of your species, but most biological organisms are rather selective about their sexual partners being of at least the same species. Actually, as those with experience in dating will know, even opposite-gender members of the same species are by far not always deemed suitable for romance.

In practice though, romance comes into being through a combination of physical and mental 'signals'.

On physical signals: the good news is that all species (except the Chua) look at least vaguely human-like. A human male may in any case want to mate with an Aurin female since Aurin females show the relevant signals for attraction for human males (I don't think I need to go into details here). Whether the human man would get lucky depends on what Aurin females find attractive. If that happens to be nice fluffy ears, our human man would not be so fortunate, but it's unlikely to be the ears since the ears do not seem to discriminate between male and female Aurin and are therefore not very useful as sex symbols.

On mental signals: a large part of romance is about how you make the other feel. In theory, if one is sufficiently skilled in the romantic arts if one's target species/gender and one has enough time/opportunity for interaction, it should be possible to date 'out of one's league'. If a Cassian male gives enough still-beating hearts to his Draken crush, he may still arouse her to at least some extent. In practice, though, the task may be too hard - journalist Norah Vincent, who did an experiment of disguising herself as a man, found it very hard to get women to fall in love with her/'him' despite the fact that she was a lesbian and (presumably) knew how women wanted to be romanced. Admittedly, she was physically a bit too 'weedy' for a man, a problem that a Draken male may not have when trying to win a Cassian female's heart. Still, romancing someone from a different culture is probably prone to even more misunderstandings and blunders that douse the other's romantic interest.

On romance, I'd therefore say it depends - both on the exact things that turn members of the other race 'on' (physically and behavior-wise) and on the desire/skill of the most-interested partner. So lore-wise, it would definitely be possible to see some cross-species lovers, especially in really small settlements and outposts where there are few or no suitable mates of one's own species which would more easily develop a romance between, in practice, players may find it easier to romance members of 'other species' simply because we all being human there is less chance of romantic blunders that would hamper any true inter-species romance, and the physical shapes of most races are tailored to activate our 'opposite gender' neural networks.
  14. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

Pig and elephant genes don't splice...
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

But space-pig and space-elephant genes do splice!

Heck, everything under an Eldan machine ''splices''.

*stalking :ninja:*
  16. Noa

Noa Cupcake

Well from the first trailer and/or character interviews of Wildstar show that the first Granok we see has an obvious soft spot for the Aurin. The heart wants, what the heart wants after all. As long as the 'pieces fit' I suppose would go there too lol. But in the end not sure about reproduction or anything akin to that, I mean we have species that may have developed in completely interesting/weird ways so even if they look humanoid, doesn't mean anything can come from their 'union'. I mean look at the Granok, they're literally humanoids made of rock/minerals, I don't know how they make babies but something tells me it's completely different from the other species.
  17. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Granoks lay eggs!

...with uhm....really hard shells.
  18. filanwizard

The biggest thing is how different is say an aurin and human? The whole base of our science has yet to see another similar species to apply our current knowledge of what is compatible. For example if the difference is only as far as say husky and wolf it could happen.
  19. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

The original subject to the thread was interpersonal relationships. Not so much compatibility to have hybrid offspring. With that in mind, which races would likely be attracted to each other and what would one species consider as attractive? So let's go through the list! We'll skip humans and cassians for obvious reasons.

Aurins: Looking at an aurin what do you see? We see three major traits. First, they have tails. Second, they have really neat ears. Third, males are smaller than females. Of these, I think ears are a big factor in what makes an aurin attractive to another aurin. The bigger, more elaborate the ears the better! Other species might look funny to them with such tiny ears.

Granok: Physically, there's not that much difference between a Granok and humans. That does leave a lot of room for interspecies attraction. However, Granok also have a wide variety of skin colors. Everything from lime green to ruby red. Perhaps in their society the more wildly variant the shade the more exotic it is.

Mordesh: Uhm, okay. Yes, so. They look human...ish.....but they're also space zombies. They're also infected with contagion. They're also rotting. Uhm...ew. I guess they could find which parts of the other's body is filled with the fluid to be more..erm....attractive....but even then the contagion hasn't been around within the Mordesh no more than forty years or so.

Chua: Uhm...ew. But, trying to be serious...mostly. Bleh. Okay! So....chua have tails and they have really expressive ears and....well, honestly chua should just never spawn at all.

Draken: Okay! Draken! They have horns! They have tails! Horns come in lots and lots of different styles! They're probably a big indicator of attractiveness. The more elaborate the better. Likewise they probably look down on the other races for not having horns.

Mechari: ....well...I'm sure they would find certain toasters attractive. Or somthing. But, barring that, the thing that really sticks out about mechari is the head crystal. That wide variation in color is a very distinctive feature. Like granok skin tones, perhaps the crystal colors have certain ones that are considered more attractive than others.
  20. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake