1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Interracial relationships

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Shahdee, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Gingis

Gingis New Cupcake

To us as _humans_ it would be striking that Aurins have ears and tails. But that wouldn't make ears and tails sex symbols to Aurin themselves as they will perceive other aurins, like we perceive other humans, to be composed of many body parts, of which the ears and tails may not be the most important ones. If you look at someone to evaluate that person's fitness as a partner, there are simply parts that receive more weight than other parts. For example, human females choosing males put much more weight on length and how attractive the face is than on, for example, if someone's underarms are of the 'right length'. In general, characteristics that make one attractive to the opposite gender are mainly those things that are different between sexes (the male peacock's tail, for example). Especially given the variation in Aurin ears, ears may not biologically be very suitable as a sex symbol - body shape and size (which would more consistently and easily distinguish male from female Aurin) however would.

So basically, there can be quite a bit of a difference between what we perceive as the 'racial' (well, 'special') characteristics of a species, and those traits that members of that species themselves find 'sexy'. In fact, the more 'typical' a characteristic of a race is (because males and females have it to comparable degrees) the less important it likely is in mate choice.

One example of this misunderstanding, where biologists likely were not involved, was the satirical Disney series 'Dinosaurs' (very worth watching, by the way): females became 'sexy' when they developed tails, and 'underdeveloped' females occasionally even bought 'fake tails'. Biologically, that would however not make any sense, as regular male dinosaurs had tails as well, tails therefore did not distinguish between genders and would therefore not be considered sex symbols in such a species.

You would be right though that indicators of health (big, well-groomed ears) may add to attractiveness, but they may not be the most important factors influencing physical attraction in Aurin. One could make similar arguments for horns and tails in Draken. Actually, the fact that some posters seem to find Aurin/Draken females attractive is a sign that for humans at least, the presence/absence of a tail and/or the smallness of ears is not the most important factor in physical attraction.
  2. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

The ears themselves may not be sex symbols but ear and tail movement might be part of the whole package of attracting a mate/partner.

I hear Aurin like to be scratched behind the ears as well. XD
  3. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!! Cupcake-About-Town

well i heard that we are the perfect sex slaves, i actually wouldn't mind being one :sneaky:...
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I so see you with a male aurin sex slave.....:coffee: (and as one for that matter)
  5. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

heheheheeeee;)
  6. filanwizard

I know when doing the first ground quest areas fresh off the ship, You actually come across a document that is an anon letter... From a non-Aurin professing love for the queen.
  7. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

That was a Mordesh, you can tell by how he/she worded the letter and how there is pretty much only Mordesh as non-aurin in the zone.
  8. Niliana

Niliana Cupcake

Hey ya'll
    I have a question. I'm hoping to roll as a Draken as a main. Most of my characters are lesbian or bisexual. My question is, how would the Draken culture deal with a lesbian female?

Would it work out lore-wise? I've been digging in the research and from what I can see I can only theorize they'd probably judge her pretty harshly. Any input would be greatly appreciated as it will help with her character bio.
  9. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

From what I can judge from playing through Deradune quite a few times Draken could care less about sexuality. Infact their is many Draken of both genders wearing gear that would be really impratical for fighting but they just do it anyway.

Draken (and the Aurin actually do too) usually judge you about your hunting prowess if you are going out in lands with hostile wildlife, they could care less about what gender you like as long as you provide them a good hunting story.
    Niliana likes this.
  10. Niliana

Niliana Cupcake

Oh gosh this is great, thank you. I was getting such a writer's block over this issue. Again, thank you! :D
  11. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

No problem, I also forgot to add that it is the same for the Bloodshaman's and Clanlords. Bloodshamn's are warriors alongside being ritualistic, it would be counterproductive to shun a Bloodshaman as they provide most of the ancient traditional rituals in the first place.

Clanlords are the same, they usually get there threw hunting prowess and strength (A Clanlord is usually challenged, and whomever wins the duel becomes the new Clanlord) and there has been cases were female Draken have became clanlords by working for it like the Males do (Renza in Celestion is a example).

The only thing I can think of that the Draken would judge for would be if you were a Necroshaman. It is indicated in Deradune that it is a old outlawed pratice due to the abuse of the magic.

So when it comes down to it, Draken only care for fighting really.
  12. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Draken are anti-zombie.

It does bring up an interest inter-species relationship though. Draken have a strong tribal history despite being 'civilized' by the Cassions for some centuries now. Necroshamans are shunned as taboo. How would they view a Mordesh? Yes, yes, mordesh aren't space zombies. They have bits of themselves rotting from necrosis! That counts. Kind of. Anyway, of the Exile races, would Draken find the Mordesh particularly repulsive?
  13. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I actually have no clue really, most of the Draken in-game seem to just be in it for the fighting. Some do seem to have the same opinion that the Chua do (That the Exiles are savages or uncivilized, this is irony at its finest considering the Chua and Draken's backstories) like General Kezza and I think Artmeis's guard Kevo does but not the majority.

Infact one amusing sight you will see later in game is a interaction with Huntress Kezzia and Kreg Studrock (a show-off granok) in regards to faction relations (Kezzia was not that put off from him like one would assume).

Spoilers: At the Squirg Apocalypse site in Whitevale you find renaments of a Mercanary group that were turned into Advanced zombies. The members are a Chua, a Mordesh, a Granok, and a Draken. This suggests to me that it is certainly possible that Draken could not judge a Mordesh based on the appearance. It could be possible that they don't like Necroshamen because the Magic based component to it.
  14. filanwizard

I have honestly pondered at times that life out in the galaxy would have far less issues with relationships, One has to remember that at least with real world humans lots of our issues are caused by indoctrination by our religions. So a species like the Aurin for example likely do not care(the trees would likely not object.), Draken would just see a pair of battle maidens who happen to like each other's company both on and off the battlefield.

-----------------

Inter-Factional relations would be interesting to have AUish lore about. Such as a Draken and Aurin stalker pair. After months of constant skirmishes that end in draws... Things just continue from there. One a hardened warrior race and one the elite alpha ambush predators of the galaxy.
  15. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

but don't they use magic themselves in their tribal rituals (the blood hunt thing). i think its more like necromancy ruins the kill, because who wants someone to reanimate the very thing you were trying to kill over and over and over again.
  16. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

That isn't the same magic though, at the least not the same part of Necromancy that Necroshamen's are using.
    The Bloodshaman's use a blood component from there kills as essentially a way to boost a Draken's power and fighting capabilities.

The Necroshaman you encounter in-game was a former apprentice of a Blood Shaman and ends up abusing Moody staff that you helped aquire to create armies of the Draken's dead ancestors, her master's reaction to this makes it clear that this was not the first time this happened. He also says that the Draken purged the Necroshamen.
    Draken and Aurin (Maybe Granok and Draken) ironically are the most likely Inter-factional relationship that you would probably ever find. Comparably to everything else (and Aurin and a Chua would probably murder eachother in days) they would have the most similarities in terms of how there culture and connections to nature is structured. Interspecies you'd probably find a opposites attract Aurin/Mordesh couple.
  17. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

The key problem with necromancy, is that the undead servants do not retain their own free will and memories, instead they do the bidding for the master. So ultimately, it's abusing the physical (maybe spiritual too) remains of those who once lived (in the Draken's case, either their honoured ancestors or their respected kills). Of course the Drakens wouldn't like that, I don't think any of the races would. Except Chuas, Chuas may be OK with it. And Mechari. Borrowing a screw from a dead neighbour probably won't result in a riot.

IF, let's say, the re-animated dead retains their own free will, then it's pretty much like the ghosts that they often commune with in their rituals --- They have no problem with that. In fact we've encountered these ghosts right in the middle of the quest hub in the second zone, the Drakens seem to be totally at ease with the ghosts. If these ghosts come back with physical bodies OK maybe we have problems like family inheritance and social orders and maybe pension plan deficit, but it won't really be as much of a taboo as necromancy is right now. In other words, ultimately their ancestors are not happy, are not at ease, are not pleased with their remains being reanimated, hence the Draken cracks down on the necromancers. In the case of Mordesh, I don't think they even really care --- Aside from the fact that the Mordesh never died and are still living organisms, they are not minions and they're not related to the Draken's ancestors at all, so I doubt they'd treat them with special hatred.
  18. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

This makes excellent sense to me. A draken probably wouldn't think too much about slaying a stemdragon that tripped while charging and broke it's neck. But that other stemdragon that they stalked for three days and had a glorious battle for ten hours before finally slaying it and bringing back it's head to place upon the honored prey of bones? Then have a moodie bring it back to undead life to lumber around and drool and not even be able to properly bury itself!? Off with the moodie's head!

I think the chua would create an undead just to see if they could do it. Eventually they would probably blow it up because, well. That's what chua do. I could understand a sick fascination with the mordesh though. Chua like science and like making things dead. Mordesh probably fascinate them because while they are dying, the keep refusing to actually die. Most chua would probably see that as a challenge. Though, Chua and Mordesh would make an very odd couple........

This makes me giggle! :laugh:

What if one of a draken's honorable kills was brought back to life, returned to it's full free will, and placed in a healthy body? Would the draken find this as an insult because, well. What they just killed is back? Or would they relish the chance to enjoy the same hunt again?
  19. THIS AURINS ON FIRE!!!!!!

i thought i said that :roflamo:

no one likes my posts :cry:
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  20. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

I will point out that the Moodie's magic was indirectly created by Nazrek, who went on to create several forms of zombies that appear on Nexus (Accept for of course the Ravenous).

Also I am certain the Chua and Mordesh would have a love hate friendship judging by in-game they try to outdo each other in the killing department