1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Interracial relationships

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by Shahdee, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I think just like sportsmanship, the honor is in the pursuit itself, not necessarily the price or outcome. It honours the hunters as well as the hunted, both parties are treated as equal opponents in a game. It just so happens that often for the hunter to win he has to kill his opponent (because that is the ultimate struggle). In cases where the hunter needs to capture the opponent alive or tag the opponent for survey, they don't kill the opponent, and it is also an honourable hunt --- but arguably it isn't as intense as when the hunted need to fight for its life. I don't think "have him staying dead" is part of the honour system, so bringing back the hunted in its full glory is perhaps a very good thing. We see that sports fisherman try to fish up the biggest and baddest fish but at the same time many of them lament the loss of big fish, some of them going so far to become major proponents for fish conservation. Especially recently, what used to be an important part of the sport --- taking marlin bill as trophy or shark jaw or all that stuff --- was being replaced by returning the opponents back into the water if possible. It shows that the honor really is in the sport itself, no one needs to eat these fish, the fisherman don't hate them (often quite the contrary). If there's a way for huge marlins to come back to life after being captured I'm sure sports fisherman around the world will rejoice in tears. So, I'm making the same assumptions here, if these treasured prey are returned back to life in full glory, I think the Draken will be more excited than dismayed. It gives them more opportunity for epic hunts, AND as in every epic hunting story, there's admiration of the opponent coming into play.

Just like how fisherman often end up as conservationists and how hunters often end up as rangers, Draken hunters will probably develop strong emotional attachment for the very opponent they stalk, the internal conflict is exactly the reason that the honour itself is driven so high in the individual --- It is a confession of a one-sided love affair where the outcome is definitely tragic by the essence of the relationship. Without honour to hold up the hunt itself, many hunters will probably fall into hesitation quickly, or hit emotional turmoil after each hunt. So if the prey comes back live and well? I think if this happens, most Draken won't mind, they'd even be happy. But one possible downside is not due to honour, but rather due to the hunt itself --- If the opponent never dies, there's never an end for that one-sided love affair. Keep in mind, the prey likely feels nothing but hostility and hatred towards the hunter, the only solution for this "love affair" is to kill the prey and leave all the lonely romanticized imaginations of intimacy with the hunter. If the prey never gets killed, well being a hunter would be harder, as you'd need to find some other reason to support your internal struggle --- obviously, the prey springs back to feet and make it clear that it doesn't like you, there's only so much self-denial that one can do.

So hunters are really like sadists. I realized many many years ago that the Old Man was really having a one-sided bromance with the Marlin, except the Marlin hates his guts and probably would stab him over and over if it gets to meet him in the afterlife. But Hemingway was purposely oblivious with this conflict and just keeps painting this romantic story as if some higher concept (aka honour) is the salvation that can justify the obvious mismatch between his emotions and the reality that's happening around him. In that process the imagination takes over and once it takes over, that's bye bye reality. Animals don't talk anyways, very helpful in the case of imagination. And even if they would eventually be able to overwhelm the hunter's imagination with evidence of hatred, they're dead. So the hunter can bring the skull back to his basement, lock the door, pour a glass of whisky, sit on the sofa and chain smokes, looking at the skulls of all the preys he has killed all the while thinking that he is amongst his friends and lovers. Tragic love stories are the best love stories too, the more he reflects upon his testosterone driven conquest which in the end always become emotional and tragic, the more he'd need to convince himself that "it was something good afterall, we had something special". It's a little, ummm, ridiculous when I put it this way but really it's pretty depressing, especially when you think that many of them actually already realized this, but sometimes there are things you need to do, you don't plan on getting emotionally attached to your prey but the fact is simply that you do. Honour is a coping mechanism to ease out the emotional conflicts, but what if it's not enough? I think all the great hunters need a very good rest after each hunt, much like actors shouldn't do very intense movies one after another (we've seen plenty of psychological problems when that happens).

Hmmm, seemed like I derailed it once again...