1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Is LFD on its way out?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, May 19, 2013.

1. Jake Steel

Jake Steel New Cupcake

Just because people have the option to tank/heal, doesn't men they'll want to. And not every single enemy attack is Telegraphed, you'll notice it in the longer gameplay videos. So odds are the trinity will be necessary, though I do like the idea of a group being able to hold their own (for a little at least) while without it.
  2. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

It could have been, because reducing the search pool population would create poor grouping, as well as take large amounts of time to actually group people together. When it was implemented, there wasn't enough player base on each server to sustain it. This meant there would have been 3+ hour waits to get into a dungeon, which then would still be a random group from your server. This was likely seen as not a viable solution. Or if you were on a small population server, the one tank that actually needs to queue didn't log on that day, as tanks and healers would find it easier to get a group going through normal means.

Edit: This isn't to say they shouldn't have done it that way, just reasons at the time which were used. Which if you look back at had large repercussions, but they probably saw it as a win, in that players from all over the game could play together. If you think about it before it's done, you don't assume it's going to ruin your server's, only make it more convenient for players to find other players. In hindsight, it was a bad call if you ask me, but one that couldn't have been forseen. Now we know though.
  3. John

John "That" Cupcake

And this is why Carbine's "solution" of a same-server checkbox is little more than PR. Even if everyone checked the box, que times would still be prohibitively long. With lets say half of the server *not* checking the box, the pool is reduced even further and wait times will be even longer. Realistically is pretty unlikely the same-server option will end up being used at all.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think they should put in good channels for forming groups on the fly, I think in large circles will help this greatly. I honestly think circles can fix a lot of these problems. Being that it's a server wide chat.

I also have my skepticism on how well the same server queue will work. Especially with a split in the populations, queue times I think will end up being twice as long as they were in testing. Like hours. But at least it's a step back in the right direction. I'd rather handpick the group based on talking to them and testing them out in person, than randomly be placed in a group. Hopefully it will be common enough to catch on...
  5. Jake Steel

Jake Steel New Cupcake

The reason the wait times in WoW would be so long for same-server queuing would be because of the low server populations, which is due to the now unnecessary amount of servers. If Wildstar has fewer, higher populated servers then wait times might not be so long.
  6. Dasphunk

Dasphunk Cupcake

Which is the main reason WoW created Cross realm anything, or at least the most reasonable and logical reason for this.

This includes, Dungeons, Raids, PVP. This was their fix in my mind, because they were too greedy to allow people to transfer from server to server for free/combine servers and let the problem fix it self.
  7. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

But as you increase the wait time, you reduce the amount of players in the queue. Basically if it takes 3 hours to queue for a dungeon, it'd be quicker just to ask your friend to tank and some other people to join in. Or, people get de-motivated to do the dungeon once they're already in. If you queue for a dungeon and it takes between 15 mins and 3 hours to get in, what do you do in the meantime? You don't wanna get interrupted, so you do some menial chore such as gathering while waiting because if gathering gets interrrupted, no biggie.

On the other hand if you're in the middle of some awesome solo content, and your queue pops, you have to make a decision to queue again for random set of time after you're done with the content, or to break the immersion of the content you're currently doing. In both cases you're creating a system which would be failing. Now if the queue times were only slightly larger, say 20% so your average queue for a dps is 30 minutes and the server only can be reduced to 40 mins on average, it starts becoming viable. You'll still have times where there are hour+ queues, but they'll be more rare, especially during peak hours. I don't know how their matchmaking system works, and therefore can't give an estimate on the amount of players to reach this number, but I would assume it's fairly large.
  8. Wubzorz

Wubzorz Cupcake

I can't believe people are even arguing for a LFD tool in an MMO.

The small convenience of lowering wait times for dungeons does not outweigh the social implications.
    Even small implementations of this feature (automatic grouping for group quests), are extremely detrimental to fostering any community. The number of relationships in MMOs that are spurred out of trivial interactions are countless.
    Chuk likes this.
  9. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

Totally agree on that and i hope Carbine does too. I fear that 20 men will only be gate to 40 men raids, we already know that they will be separated so please Carbine make both 20 men and 40 men raids a end game goal and not only 40 men. Knowing that carbine considers solo gaming and dungeons as a face of eldar-game i hope they won't do that mistake.
  10. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

I can't believe people are even arguing for NOT having a LFD tool in an MMO.

The huge convenience of lowering wait times for dungeons and the fact that I don't have to sit spamming chat means I get to go out in the world and do something while I wait. While out in the world I have plenty of trivial interactions that more than offset the "quality time" I get with people sitting in a half-formed group somewhere.

Automatic grouping is beneficial to playing the game and not having to sit and spam a chat channel for a group. Games that make me do that are ones that I don't play for long.

(edit: meant to quote Wubzorz post)
  11. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

That would be very nice, but hard to balance it out.

I wish they did that, i dont really wanna raid 40 main, i might give it a try but it is just too many people.
    and iam not even worried about cordenation once the run starts, iam more worried about setting up a group this big every day and being able to start on time.
  12. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

I think they'll just be separate content, so guilds could do both, probably put a slight lean on 40 mans so more guilds are motivated to put together 40 mans, but players could then just split that group in half and have 2 sets of 20 mans for those who want them. Not sure how the gear would work out there though, because you don't want the 40 mans to simply get 2x the gear as the 20 mans or be forced to raid both forms...
  13. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Could just hit reply then copy/paste into an edit of your post?
  14. Calsic

Carbine have already said 20 and 40 man are 2 separate end games with their own rewards.
  15. Calsic

Yes. I could have.
  16. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

If you would be so kind as putting here your source, you would make me the happiest man on earth :D

I aim myself toward a 20 men raiding guild or so, i feel that 40 men are too many to organize both out and in the raid itself.
    BonusStage likes this.
  17. Calsic

It was in a video dev interview that I saw on Youtube. I have about 35 of them in my Wildstar playlist. It will take me awhile but I will try. :D

The dev mentioned that they have all different elder game types and he listed them. 20 man and 40 man raids were described as being viable endgame options with separate content and rewards.
  18. Wubzorz

Wubzorz Cupcake

Of course there are people that are going to say, "well for ME it's an great tool!".

You may have to sit in chat and spam for a time, yes. However if you are able to form some friendships in-game, you have a plethora of potential players you can group with later.

The argument that the tool makes the game easier is a terribly weak and I despise when it comes up.
    If you perceive the only way to form groups without a LFD tool is sitting spamming a channel, then there is your problem.
  19. Calsic

I don't think anyone said it was the "only way". Personally, I usually group with guildmates. But when I'm playing at off-peak hours and feel like running a dungeon, you bet I prefer using a tool over other methods.
  20. Wubzorz

Wubzorz Cupcake

Exactly. Those fringe arguments shouldn't support the blanket introduction of the tool.
    It's like those players who criticize games because they can't achieve everything in the game in their 15-min/day allocated play time. It's lunacy.