1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Is LFD on its way out?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, May 19, 2013.

1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I have to say, the new kids sure do know how to necro the big threads eh?
    Witless likes this.
  2. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

I like the idea of making quests count for more for players. Like maybe dungeons that require a certain number of quests be completed in order to enter or something like that. If the developers want the content explored they might want to consider making dungeons only for loot and not for lvling at all. That is, you don't get exp from running a dungeon - only loot. Then maybe make the loot be a truly random chance for all players - that is everyone would be 'greed' and no one would be 'need'. That would end a lot of fights and griping in dungeons in my opinion. I sometimes clicked 'pass' just to avoid any problems when there were people in the group fighting about who got what loot. If you get a piece of loot your character can't use then you could sell it in AH or give it to another party member after the dungeon is done. Does that sound fair?
  3. mysticjbyrd

mysticjbyrd Cupcake-About-Town

Forum etiquette is really stupid.

Who honestly cares if it hasn't been posted in for a few days? Who is being offended or harmed by bringing this discussion back up?

Stop just mindlessly following the norms, before someone in a robe hands you glass of cool-aid.
    Kookieduck likes this.
  4. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

lol I hope make gear just a looks thing and make quest experience the thing that makes a toon good. That would be cool. That way people who have the best gear wouldn't automatically be the top player - the player with the most exp would be the top player. The player who has explored the most content. The player who has completed the most quests.
  5. mysticjbyrd

If that is the case, then there are lots of those terribad sandbox games on the market for you to play right now then. You should join the few dozen players playing those games asap, before you miss out!
  6. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

That would be awful. Longevity of the game would be non-existent. People want to progress through and achieve something. There is a game like the one you're describing where characters are judged on content completed - it's called Runescape.
    Milamilou likes this.
  7. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

gee I feel dumb - what does necro the big threads mean? Not being sarcastic just ignorant and I really would like to know. :)
  8. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I think the mods here definitely care about forum etiquette and have directly told people not to necro old discussions, and I have as much right to comment on it as anyone else. Offended or harmed? of course not those are extreme, is it annoying...at times ya.
    Milamilou likes this.
  9. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

Bet they explore the content there! : ) Nothing against dungeons but quests drive the game - otherwise why not just play a fps game?
  10. mysticjbyrd

Necro, as in necromancer, a mystical spellcaster that summons the dead.

It is a forum term that means you posted in an old thread.

It is considered bad manners for whatever reason. However, oddly enough so is making duplicate threads... So, if you wanted to comment on this subject, you can bet your bottom dollar someone would have mentioned that had you made your own thread.

Everything is either a necro or a duplicate thread, so there is no way to ever talk about anything without some little nancy getting pissed.
    Grim Fandango likes this.
  11. UNDERZZZZZ

I prefer necroing than starting a new thread (which is also frowned upon) is the discussion is still relevent. While LFG is pretty set in stone, beta is beta and I think it's still a decent place to voice opinions if new guys have some, regardless of how dumb the opinions are!
    Kookieduck likes this.
  12. UNDERZZZZZ

Because I like MMO's! Quests are pretty monotonous after a time. In the example you provide, levels are completely arbitrary if quests drive the game. Some people want more than a story. Otherwise PVP in MMO's wouldn't exist.
  13. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

Yeah, I hate the go go go! guy! But then I enjoy exploring a dungeon and killing adds more than just rushing straight from boss to boss. Sometimes a dungeon will have great stuff for skinners and miners - high lvl stuff that's hard to find but the go go go! guy won't let the skinners and miners stop and get the loot! Bummer. Why is the go go go guy always in such a hurry? Dungeons are great to explore - no need to rush!
  14. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

True. You are right. Maybe some kind of compromise? : )
  15. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

Maybe the settlers can also be realtors!
  16. Kookieduck

Kookieduck Cupcake

Thanks!
  17. Grim Fandango

Grim Fandango Well-Known Cupcake

I couldn't agree more! It drives me crazy when I see people make either of those comments!

The only time "necroed" threads are considered bad form is when the information is likely outdated, so commenting on such information is rather pointless, not constructive, and/or no longer germane. Which, honestly, is a very rare occurrence, as is the case with this thread. Ditto for most opinion-based topics.

Even worse, if a topic is inactive for just a few days, you *still* get people calling it a "necro" thread. And that's bewildering as all get-out to me.

But c'est la vie. It's hard to escape foolishness such as that on the Internet.
  18. Ellianar

Ellianar Cupcake-About-Town

I see some nice archeologists here :D The LFD question is a tough question, some people say it kill the community and empty the world ( i already answered to this nonsense ), some say it is a blessing and i agree with them partially. Although i m in favor of a LFD tool, i sincerely wish, 80% of these groups wouldn't beat the dungeon because of the difficulty. I want dungeons that are challenging and require a strong group cohesion ( ie a guild group on TS ) not the 20 min run for the daily reward being beaten to death one-handed by most players.
    Milamilou likes this.
  19. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

<Moderator growl> Personally I don't mind this "necroing", but behave well guys. If the discussion turns into a heated debate, we'll surely take action. Oh and stop screaming about necroing please. This thread is about LFD, not that. </Moderator growl>
  20. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

To be honest the leveling content in W* is just a small amount of the game. The biggest part and challenges are at end game (solo as well). I would leave that 80% for the end game content and make it much higher the further you get. But for levelling itself it would mean killing all the dungeon fun and an education curve for the newcomers. It should be more around 50% growing to 75% just before hitting the level cap :) Also, most guildies will fly through leveling dungeons no matter how difficult those dungeons are and then they will concentrate on the end game content.
    My numbers above should be such to make sure that leveling is enough difficult to be enjoyable but not too difficult to be annoying. End game difficulty should be annoying as it is for hardcores, non hardcores should just roll new character and in time either slowly become hardcore players or log to enjoy other aspects of the game (social, alting, etc) while waiting for an expansion (then when expansion come they could do previous end game content more casually).