1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Jeremy Gaffney posts on Elder Game content 5/5/2013

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, May 5, 2013.

1. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

Gotcha. I was about to e-slap you. :eek:
  2. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

From what I understand Warplots are expensive undertakings (Both in in-game coin and time.). This is going to take some type of guild/organized structure; no random group of people is going to be willing to do this.

The Warparty is the time when the 40pvp members that are going to war with another Warplot, go to war with another Warplot. The Warparty activity does not include the time that the Warplot is being built up; which includes the time Raiders spend procuring a Raid Boss, and Soloers pick up whatever Soloers can pick up for a Warplot. The Warparty might, or might not include those Raiders and Soloers, but those Raider and Soloers will still be part of the organization that purchased the Warplot (I can’t see the Devs allowing them to be mercenaries, and just sell these items to the Warplot; but that would definitely make things interesting.).

My question was; why can’t a Guild (or any organized group of people) purchase a Warplot; continue to build it up, do whatever you do when not in a Warparty, and never form a Warparty?
  3. Argentae

Argentae New Cupcake

As Someone who has thorough experience in 1% raiding, I am past ecstatic at the stance being taken. I am in agreement that to content not available at the tips of ones fingers at all times is a powerful motivator to become better. It leads one to feel proud of your guild or group at your achievement. You can sit in your factions Capital and have people whisper you,"Hey, Where is that gear from, It looks so cool."

This stance will show who is capable of putting it all down and doing whatever is necessary to get the job down, akin to the world buff grinding for just that one attempt in Naxxramas. Sure, this will most likely frustrate and peeve a great many people on enrages and tight mechanics, but when you kill it, you will enjoy that moment all the more.

The only worry I have is about attunements. While I do enjoy the fact I have to work to even be able to get into a raid through an epic quest uncovering storyline, I don't enjoy having a guild separate because the attunement to an area is so group intensive that it is akin to re learning old content(ala Hyjal/Black Temple). To often were a guild to kill these attunement bosses, only to have players poached by others to balance out their own failing rosters. This also led to the loss of any and all attunements :(

I am super stoked to get in and work and wipe and cry and swear to these epic bosses, and Im pumped to see the storyline behind these raid and I do hope they have a attunement to make each raid that much cooler. I just hope that the reason we're wiping isnt due to lack of available players.
    rwcujo likes this.
  4. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Because you need points from the warparty system to build up your warplot, as well as resources from outside the system. At least that's what it sounds like. Also, while warplots may end up being usually within guilds, they could be sponsored by gold tycoons in the game. That would actually be pretty awesome... Anywho, nothing really prevents guilds from building one, but I don't know if you can enter it without being in the actual war party, or without being in the actual warplot battle. Dunno enough about them yet to make a reasonable assumption why it can't be, but I've got a gut feeling that it's not a guild hall.

Player housing seems like it could be set up as a guild hall though, being that guilds can gather there and such.
  5. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Great quote, I may steal that :)
  6. Jeremy Gaffney

For worldwide bests, not server bests. Also, in this context "legendary" could be construed as "legendary-ala-WoW legendary gear" or just "epic" - I mean it more as epic, but basically our intent is to tune it so it is Damn Rare. Gotta have something to aspire to.
    Dysp, Mike Hatley, Yakzan and 3 others like this.
  7. Jeremy Gaffney

IMO AV's main issue was that participation/the fun things weren't rewarded well compared to the ability to use it as a grind. Over time one should tune things in general so that the things that are fun are the things that are rewarded.

My AV knowledge is years back though, haven't played it personally in quite a while (been a little busy). Blizzard has some smart devs, I'd be surprised if it's current state is still what it was when I played. Our PVP folks (Jen etc.) are much more hip to what's current than I.
    Whatley likes this.
  8. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

I am both heartened by the information Jeremy shared and a small part of me worries.
    There is a thin line between inspirational and elitism. My hope is that our community can help keep the balance in check by being inclusive to those who want to [to follow the analogy above] try out as a walk on for an NFL team. Will there be room for B teams to mature and get their shot. That is my hope as one of the 11.5-12.75%
  9. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

On what level will this compete with gear obtained from raiding? While these group rewards are obviously massively difficult to achieve. Will they give more benefits to raiding than the gear obtained from raiding? How do you intend to tune it's power?
  10. MeakGG

MeakGG Cupcake-About-Town

Jeremy! You and your team are so impressive! Dinner, my place, next Thursday. Bring beta invites.
  11. Jeremy Gaffney

You're gonna think I'm an idiot, but I helped work on the sidekick system at the time (I was exec producer on CoH as well), and I was thinking of it at the time purely from a "let friends play when they get out of the natural level range" system standpoint.

I never really thought of the implication for roleplaying - but of course you're right, that was very likely an impact (lots of RPers don't really dig the whole achievement-curve of levelling, etc. and that's a barrier in many games).

The housing/base stuff was a natural fit too of course for RP (we don't have many barriers to everyone getting housing and we have lots more options so hopefully WildStar can raise the bar there a bit) and IMO Cryptic's awesome character customization system really helped RP (still rarely equalled, and we on WS have gone more for variation of race/gender skeletons and class animations and high-personality face/hair/etc differences than their 3-skeleton-billion addon system).

Anyhoo, you actually just helped me understand an aspect of why COH always had such a good RP community that I hadn't considered - thanks. Doing RP-friendly systems are non-trivial as tying good RP to advancement is very-hard-to-impossible, it's more sandboxy systems that can help you project your role or not get in your way, which is frankly harder to design for.

Side note, we are prepping up our next set of patch notes for the beta and there'll likely be some relevant reveals on some of the above in there, I'm sure...
  12. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

Hehe, can't wait! :)

That whole post is so full of win, though ^_^. I know that many RP'ers are gonna be happy reading that. XD Even if RP-friendly systems are harder to implement in a more themeparky game like Wildstar, it's always great to know that the devs are keeping such things in mind! :)
  13. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to point out that attunements don't have to be long drawn out quest lines which take a few hours to complete. They can be a single boss that you have to fight solo that is reasonably challenging - featuring a few different telegraphs that are similar to the bosses in the raid - that would be my ideal attunement.

Or they can be a boss that you fight as a raid, but only have to fight it once - then you can skip straight to the raid bosses every other week.

Stop associating past mechanics with how they could be done.
  14. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Yeah, City of Heroes sidekicking/exemplar system completely changed it's landscape from a linear progression of zones to a radial kinda..hub-base where characters would instead group in a central area and then branch out to do missions. Add on top most of the character exp being granted from killing enemies instead of mission rewards and a lack of loot progression and City of Heroes might as well been a completely different genre.

It wasn't a game about getting from level 1-50 and then doing raids and dungeons, the only thing leveling did for you was giving you more power slots and opening up more areas for you to explore. And once you opened up more areas, the lower areas didn't cease to exist. Getting to the level cap in City of Heroes wasn't about just getting the highest stats and sitting on them, making it to the cap just meant you have the biggest variety of things to do and tools to do them.

But why am I telling you this, you already know.....

I guess I just like talking about City of Heroes and believing in that by talking about the game it never died.

One can dream.
    Brightag and Khrusky like this.
  15. UNDERZZZZZ

With a repetitive boss there would be no sense of accomplishment. The boss could be a good idea depending on the level of difficulty. Although fighting a boss to unlock more bosses doesn't have the same feeling as a quest chain that is 'long and drawn out'.

I'm bored of simplified content. I'm bored of homogenization. I'm bored of having everything handed on a plate. I wan't to feel like I've accomplished certain things and a certain level of character progression. Attunements shouldn't be seen as a barrier, but rather a stepping stone and if actual progression could be felt during the attunements process it all enhances the ultimate feeling of accomplishment.
    Sideros likes this.
  16. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Agree with Underz, and on top of all that, still provides additional content for non-raiders, thats more involved than just a daily quest.
  17. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

The whole point is that it's not meant to feel like a quest chain - it's meant to be a test on the player to be able to <do whatever the attunment is>, so that they're ready to face the challenges of raiding.

The main problem with attunements is that they take so long that when someone hasn't done it then they have to organise a few hours to do it. It's also a one time thing, which isn't the best use of development time.

With a single boss that you have to verse solo you'd be able to re-do it later to practice dodging certain telegraphs.
  18. UNDERZZZZZ

I must admit, I like this idea if it aligns somewhat like the warlock green fire quest. I haven't done it, I've played about 30m of WoW in the past 6 months and am unlikely to play much more. But just watch the Youtube videos. They look awesome, seriously. I think prevents guilds going out of their way, while still providing the difficulty and sense of accomplishment.

/watch?v=51Q2kIplVuY

I actually really like that idea.
  19. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

I'm a little concerned at the effect this will have on raid schedules for serious guilds. As it stands guilds can more or less set their own raid days and times and be just as competitive as any other guild with the exception of a mad rush of the absolute best guilds right after a major patch, but if every week there's gear up for grabs for the world weekly first suddenly everyone has to raid at the-servers-just-came-online o'clock on <day raids reset> every week or miss any and all chance of ever seeing those things.

I like the idea of a competition but not when it mandates a specific raid schedule. Or maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "bests" is this like fastest kills/least wipes/least damage taken/fanciest hat in kill shot type best rather than a race? Because that would be totally awesome and the best thing ever.
  20. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I can't play for the NFL...not sure I'd even put in the effort necessary to do so if I could. BUT I love to watch the NFL play.

I hope there is a way (future?) that we can watch the great raiders in Wildstar doing their stuff. Maybe even root for our favorite guild (give them a buff or extra loot if say 100 folks are watching?).

Who knows...some day I might want the fame too and start working my tushie off to get there. Great posts all!
    rwcujo and Whatley like this.