1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Jeremy Gaffney posts on Elder Game content 5/5/2013

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, May 5, 2013.

1. rwcujo

rwcujo New Cupcake

I doubt there will ever be extra loot or a buff but you can always watch us 1%'ers. I know a few people in my guild will be posting videos/streaming.
  2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

omg is the 1% thing a serious thing now
    Huffle Puff, Naunet and Rumze like this.
  3. Goreshank

Goreshank Cupcake-About-Town

Hah the Gaffer never seems to disappoint. The feeling I get about Carbine is the way I felt about Blizzard back in the good old days.
  4. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I've noticed that MMO communites will always take the path of least resistance. If there is a way to go around the fun to grind faster, a lot of gamers will do it(probably more than you'd think). It seems with every game, that developers underestimate the lengths at which gamers will go to grind or circumvent the system. You might want to reward the fun aspects, but if you give us a chance to, we'll ruin it all. :)

But I think that more important than rewards, is that people are doing things because they want to and they're fun. If there were no rewards in your game, what would people do? How would soloers play the game? PvPers? Raiders?

I think nowadays, companies put BGs into games because they feel those PvP mini games NEED to be there because other games have them. And they NEED to exist as a vehicle for gamers to acquire PvP gear. And amazingly enough, they're all played out after the 5th time or so you play them. They get very boring, very fast. So I'm hoping your Arena and WarPlot PvP aren't just more boring instanced PvP experiences to accumulate gear.
  5. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Yes it is. Alot of people miss this aspect of the game and don't worry. It is only for raids.

Meaning you can still do whatever else there is to do. I mean they take out ALL the other options!

...*sigh* Sorry, but I can't. Seriously, it is ONLY raiding, stop whining about that being hard. You have tons of other things to do.
  6. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

The 1% is more than raiding in Wildstar fyi.
  7. Malorak

Yeah and Hardcore PVP, too. The rest is supposed to be do-able for everyone.
  8. Mike Hatley

Mike Hatley Cupcake

Mr. Gaffney, I know it has been said before but I do believe it deserves a repeat. Sir, I like the cut of your jib.
  9. Jeremy Gaffney

Jeremy Gaffney Carbine Studios

Our raid guys want to incent "best" runs (time to complete, optional elements, etc.) not "first" runs. I'll probably slip up in the press occasionally and say "first" since I'm used to that from talking world/server firsts, etc. but incenting everyone to stay up until 4am isn't part of the skill thang for us.
    F8L Fool, Sonntam, Arawulf and 10 others like this.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

It is actually so that once you join or ever participated in guilds where the skill level amongst players is rather high you end up raiding less per week and get more stuff done after the "server/world" first part is over.

My above average guild raided 5 days a week about 4 hours even past progression stage, my higher ranked guild only did 3 raids a week 4 hours and got the same amount of stuff done.
    It is even so that once you're used to higher up raiding things are much more optimal, you have quick chats in their respective, healing, dps, tank channels than moved up to the officers channels and than seen if adjustments are needed and that generally all in a time span of 5 minutes.

Most of us have a life and i do expect the game to be sort of created with that in mind that we are no longer teenager/college students that can literally do 12-14-16 hour sessions and not worry.
    Pretty certain the developers know the largest demographic is also the actual "young" working slice of the population 25 to 30's+ i believe.

For others being turned down by this 1% thing, don't be. We are event organizers, theory crafters and strategists minus the sometimes arrogance and elitist attitude we can carry, actually do a lot for the direct gaming community to help build and improve things. In my specific case i tend to be a pretty good raid leader so i chip back in that way.
  11. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Pretty sure solo/2-person Elder Game is an endgame branch all on its own.

Honestly though, it just tickles me that people are puffing themselves up with this "I am the 1%!" thing.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  12. Malorak

Oh, right, forgot about the solo-Quests. I'm not quite sure if these are aimed at "hardcore" players though. Also I don't like that phrasing. I also don't like to say "the 1%".

I am not the 1%, (how could I be, the game's not out yet, lol.) however I'd like to become them.

Jeremy stated that already, and I won't just repeat it in another way - it keeps some sort of magic in the game if something seems inaccesible.
  13. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I'd like to also indicate that the mid-level hardcore raiders also have Jeremy's philosophy even though they may not be server 1st or top world ranking.
    I don't know if 1% is really the correct number to throw around because I think its much more than that, and the example should be MC-Naxx or Kara-Sunwell, and not just single out the small amount of guilds who finished Naxx or Sunwell and say all the rest dont have that mindset, we did, and we do.
    Bulk and Vembumees like this.
  14. rwcujo

rwcujo New Cupcake

Well I only said 1% because that's what Carbine has been saying. I wasn't trying to sound elitist.
  15. Drasas

Drasas Well-Known Cupcake

One thing that baffles me is that there are so many people here claiming that they are the elite. I've never seen an online forum filled with so many members of the cream of the crop. As somebody who's been waiting for an MMO to once again be built for exclusivity and the elite I honestly welcome the change. Most people aren't here whining about elitists or complaining for accessibility. It's honestly refreshing, but I hope it stays this way after launch and people here will all have to walk the walk.
  16. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

This is hardly new. It's been a "thing" for years. Here's a headline from an old article post Blizzcon 2005:

"Blizzard take issue with the charge that endgame dungeons are designed for the '1% of the game world that will actually see it.'

Jeremy G is quoting accepted statistics. The 65% solo players stat is also widely accepted. He's not just making this stuff up.

I'm just glad Carbine is working on including all the percents instead of only aiming to please the most populated group.
  17. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

and I wasn't butt hurt over anything, I just want it clear that its not only world first people who enjoy that hardcore gameplay style, even if it takes them longer to succeed at it.
  18. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

Yeah I don't really care what 1% is, I just think its kind of silly/pretentious sounding. Especially with it's other connotations. If I were a fancy marketing guru I would probably find a more palpable/nicer sounding descriptive for the group to plaster on t-shirts or fedoras or whatever you kids show your allegiances on these days.
    Naunet and Khrusky like this.
  19. herbalz

herbalz Cupcake-About-Town

AHHH hes playing with out emotions! lol I need something new to read and pine over already, i'm getting the wildstar withdrawals lol ooh and is anyone else curious about binball? I wanna know if that's just a house game, or if it is competitive with prizes :eek:
    Loving the info though wildstar!
  20. Bainik

Bainik Cupcake-About-Town

That's a relief. Looking forward to that, then.