1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Jeremy Gaffney posts on Elder Game content 5/5/2013

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by MeakGG, May 5, 2013.

1. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Great to hear... though I hope they don't make the same mistake as later Vanilla/TBS WoW and only cater to the 1% (FYI I doubt they will).

Having hopes and dreams is fantastic, and the effect / reward of rising to a challenge should not be understated, but hopes and dreams on their own are not sustaining, eventually they must be realised, or sustenance sought elsewhere, lest the hope fade and the dreamer die.
    Kneerlax likes this.
  2. Afrotech

Afrotech Cupcake-About-Town

Although, I read everything these two points were pretty much all I needed to hear and I am pleased. :)

What a breath of fresh air after years of simplification, streamlining and ultimately loss of interest.

It sounds like the devs at Carbine are into the FLOW mind set.
    Underz likes this.
  3. Whatley

Whatley Cupcake

Most of the interviews I have read from the top 1% Guilds have said that they spend upwards of 18 hours a day during the progression weeks. So I am not personally worried about them having undo stress over competing for the weekly "rare/legendary" gear. There is obviously some level of insanity present in them, although not necessarily bad as you wouldn't tell a person training for a Gold Medal they are insane for the hours they put in.

Seeing those pieces of gear... that sense of awe and wonder as you inspect the core raiders of that Guild your whole Server knows... that is what drives everyone forward, it makes the investment they put in worth it and makes you want to try and figure out how to shape your ragamuffin band of friends into a efficient boss killing machine.
    Kneerlax likes this.
  4. Afrotech

snip
    That's it right there it's not the destination it's the journey.
    Whatley likes this.
  5. Thordran

Thordran Cupcake-About-Town

This makes for a good read and takes me back a bit to the days where I had a lot of fun playing MMOs.

One of the things that has bugged me about the modernization of MMO games has been the lack of challenging content that has actually given rewards that people can aspire to, and for that matter, unique things that you have to be good to unlock. I think that modern MMOs have done a good job with making it so that you don't have to spend an absurd amount of time grinding things out to reach competitive end game, but they have skimped out on making rewarding content for people who are at the cutting edge of gaming skill. Some people love genuine challenge and it's difficult to find many games that cater to this need without resorting to artificial blocks that have little to do with game skill and have more to do with having people put in crazy amounts of time.

Having things to aspire to and seeing people from high end guilds in awesome armor with great rewards should be a great motivator for people, and should be a source of social activity as well. I've always had a problem with the whole everyone gets epics philosophy that a lot of games have. If everyone is epic, I don't really think anyone is.

Hopefully 10 years or so since Vanilla has shown developers that people that play MMOs should have challenging content to complete that offers a reason to want to excel. I'm against absurd time sinks, but having areas that are genuinely hard to clear and require skills checks over gear and time grinding would make me happy. I'm not looking for a super easy end game turns the game into an IRC channel where you push a few buttons and collect loots, and I think a lot of folks out there would agree.
    Afrotech likes this.
  6. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

You're right, it doesn't seem like they are. I haven't seen blackwolf's game composition graphic in awhile, but if you find it you'll see the many different avenues that Carbine has covered. Just the fact that they want to cater to the solo player as well as everyone else with dynamic and regularly updated content is something new.

Most people seem to think that new content needs to be big glitzy and make sweeping changes to the game like we see with big patches in WoW when in actuality new story questlines every few weeks with some incentive to get something interesting at the end (cosmetic gear, mount, pets, plushies, housing plugs, etc.) is oftentimes more than enough to keep people interested. It doesn't have to be a stereotypical rep grind for access to new shinys, a simple, semi-daily gating mechanic where intro quests lead to opening new quests that progress the immediate story every few days. Maybe it takes 2 weeks to complete normally, and three weeks on average. Or, maybe you have to collect tokens/items of some variety as you're questing to turn in at the end to complete the questline. There are any number of things Devs could do to stretch out the content for us so that every month we have something new to work for in the single player elder game and they have time to make new content for us. Single player has the possibility to end up being more compelling gameplay-wise than any of the other elder games in Wildstar.
  7. Afrotech

Do you think the cycle of.. blow through content > boredom > quit game started when content started getting easier?
  8. Haversham

Just like anything in the real world I don't think we can say anything definitive without resulting to personal anecdote. I think your hypothesis would make a great thesis for a Statistics or Sociology PhD candidate if they felt like crunching the numbers; that's about how complicated it is in my opinion.
  9. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

"Easier" is a pretty vague word. Especially since in the time between when mmos used to be "hard" and now, an entire generation of gamers has developed and filled the consumer slot. A lot of these "content locusts" (As Gaffney put it so eloquently) didn't play back during the time in MMO history that's worshiped by people in these threads, so claiming that more people quit today because it's "easier" is a false equivalence.

It's more likely the "content locust" mindset is just that, a mindset. Not a result of any MMO direction. A mindset perpetuated by console games and shooters where you push through the content till you finish and then go buy a new game. Which by itself is not bad, that's how console games work. There's a clear beginning and a clear end. MMO's...not so much.

Unfortunately, most modern MMO's today are developed to be console games with chat functions. Yes, difficulty of content is part of the problem, but its a single branch of a rotten tree. A branch that, imo, is about as important as the over-use of themepark mmo design, where gamers lack any incentive not to follow the predetermined path provided to them, and how most modern mmos are released in a half-finished state that rings incredibly hollow, with literally nothing to do but give into gear progression.

But I've doddled enough,

tl;dr "Do I think the cycle of content locusts started with content being easier?"

No. It certainly doesn't help. But no.
    Afrotech likes this.
  10. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

I would say that EQ was the one to do this. UO might have had epic PvE raids, but it was such a nasty piece of work at that time, that it was definitely not known for its large party epic raids. DAoC was about Epic Tri-faction PvP. CoH was about dressing up and playing Superhero. SWG was about running around in a big verse doing whatever you wanted to do (Most of the time having no clue as to what that was.).

EQ was the one known for its Epic Raids, and WoW copied that, just as they copied everything else that was a part of Vanilla WoW (Except the cartoony animation.).
  11. Afrotech

Haha you have no idea how close to hitting the bulls eye on this. :laugh:
  12. Afrotech

snip

Hate to snip short this post as there are a few interesting points, but no time for me to address them all at the moment, but this one I couldn't help but make the correlation that my last great console experiences all coincidentally were sandbox games GTA4, Red Dead Redemption and Infamous.

All games with a main story line, but no predetermined path and arguably more emersion than many MMO's.

Do you think the difficulty of balancing sandbox games or maybe games like SWG hurt the marketability of such games?

I agree that themepark mmo design has been way over used and a more hybrid approach should have been explored a long time ago.
  13. Haversham

I mean, why else would I suggest it if I didn't think it were appropriate? :)
    Afrotech likes this.
  14. Sevvy

Sevvy Cupcake-About-Town

I think it started from a number of things...

- Easier content
    - The world shrinking due to not having a reason to venture out into it, when it was already a theme park game
    - LFG queues that took away from the community
    - PvP turning into an instanced grind for gear
    - The fact that you could play the entire game while sitting half-AFK in safe zones

And all of that took the sense of adventure out of MMOs. And what you had left was gear as the driving force. All of the things I listed were implemented as a means to make getting gear faster and easier. So when the game is almost 100% about accumulating gear, and gear is fast and easy to get...
    Dnevnoy likes this.
  15. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

Not for everyone. Personally, I couldn't care less what other people have or don't have as far as it involves my personal motivation for my character(s) progression. I figure out what I want and then I go get it, no crazy pseudo-hero worship involved.
    Huffle Puff likes this.
  16. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I have seen comments where people are shocked and don't believe everyone claiming to be the 1%. Without the game there is no way to actually tell. However, the great thing is how many people wish to be the 1%. It already shows that having such elite content in the game brings out a desire to reach such a goal.

So many recent games there is never a question of if something can be done, just if it will take a few tries. It is nice to see the excitement again for battling with a challenge where the focus is first on being able to do it and what it gotten comes second.
    rwcujo and Sevvy like this.
  17. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

18. FatedTitan

FatedTitan New Cupcake

Will there be any bracket tournaments in PvP with a prize to the winner?
  19. Haversham

This whole "number one for the week get's cool loot" thing is new info. If they're going to have weekly ladders, time trials and whatnot they'd need to provide some impetus for people to compete besides bragging rights. So I guess I'm trying to say that the way this works is a bit up in the air at the moment. Your guess is as good as anyone else's unless we get an answer from a Dev.