1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Jynetik ART

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Jynetik, Apr 16, 2013.

1. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

[​IMG]

--- --- UNDER CONSTRUCTION! --- ---
    Introduction:
    Hey guys, I finally decided to swallow some of my fear of this sub-forum and make my own little place here to post art, talk about things, possibly get feedback etc... This thread is just now coming together so mind the mess, it will be a bit primitive and ugly for a few days until I can get everything sorted out. Until then here is something new to look at; a reworked, colored, and polished up version of my Draken Horn Warmers image that I posted last week.​
    [​IMG]
    I tend to create content on a pretty regular basis so feel free to check back regularly to see what's new, I will also probably post pieces that are in development here before posting them in a more serious fashion elsewhere on the forum.​
    Anyway just wanted to say hi to the rest of the art community here at WSC, hopefully this thread will stay up, I am notoriously shy about art discussion which is one reason why it's taken me a few weeks to even create this thread.​
    About Me:
    Hey there guys my name is Jynetik, I am a 26 year old graphic artist / multimedia designer based out of Colorado Springs, Colorado. I am a bit of an MMO enthusiast and I enjoy the community building aspect most of all which goes a long way towards explaining why I love this forum so much. I am always looking for new ways to get involved with MMO communities, meet new people, and improve my various art and design skills.​
    I have played many different MMORPGs over the past decade or so, a full list of which can be found here. My significant other and I love to lead guilds, run raids, and generally help foster good community interaction on w/e server we end up on in which ever game we are currently playing.​
    My artistic and design skills are a blend of 3D modeling / animation training in Autodesk Maya / 3DS Max, and XSI SoftImage, some traditional art training mostly in life drawing (I don't paint), and years upon years of experience and training with the Adobe Creative Suite.​
    My hobbies include gaming (mostly PC), drawing both traditional and digital, creative writing, tabletop RPGs (D&D), as well as wake-boarding, water skiing, and cars.​
    About this thread:
    I am creating this thread as a place to showcase, archive, and possibly get feedback on various art projects that I am creating for the community here at WSC. I will post work-in-progress material, new projects, possible commissions (if I ever elect do start doing them), and continuously build my archive and keep this post looking as pretty as possible. Brand new female Draken material will be featured in the Female Draken Thread a few days before being posted here.​
    Title-Pending Draken Comic:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

--- --- UNDER CONSTRUCTION! --- ---
  2. Kurik

Kurik Super Cupcake

The new version of the Horn Warmers image looks great and I'll be looking forward to your future pieces as I'm sure others will be as well. :)
    Jynetik likes this.
  3. shadowclasper

shadowclasper Cupcake-About-Town

Now I'm hoping horn warmers will get to be actual content!
    ruff_ethereal and Jynetik like this.
  4. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I wonder if the people that make Draken Horn Warmers could branch out at some point and tackle Stalker Claw Cozies?
  5. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Looks great! ...Draken's definitely need a /sleep emote where they put on some horn cozies... or have them be a rare race-specific item.. or if WS is b2p with no sub, it would seem to fit nicely into a cash-shop item, I'd imagine. :)

Keep 'em coming!
    Jynetik likes this.
  6. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

EERMERGZHERD, you made a thread here! :D

Only awesome things can possibly result from this decision!

My own art thread is sadly stagnating, but I've just been so busy with school lately! *Shakes fist at school*. :mad:
    Your polished-up Draken Horn Warmers pic looks better than ever! :laugh: Those look so toasty!

All your logos and headers look so cool - do you belong to the graphic designer profession? :O
  7. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Thanks! Yeah I am going to update the thread with this info anyways. I am a recent college graduate with a degree in Computer Graphics Technology with a specialization in Multimedia Design and Development, which basically equates to a graphic design degree. I have a lot more 3D modeling / animation and general technology know-how than your average graphic designer as well as something resembling a fine-arts minor.

It would be awesome to see you draw more, I love your style.
  8. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Hey guys, no "new" art as of yet, tho I have some things cooking right now. Instead here are some modules that I created for this thread. I plan on making a lot of these comics so I figured I'd go ahead and get started on some organization and archive them here. These modules are at a point where I am going to go ahead and put them in place to polish up this thread, but they will likely go through some further iterations before they are totally where I want them. Let me know what you guys think!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Guide and Jersaun Korris like this.
  9. Graff (FLB)

Graff (FLB) Cupcake-About-Town

Great stuff there! 8D I actually just started practicing female Drakens. Making a OC to pair with my Aurin OC. Thats right, I pair my OCs >.> IT MAKES ME HAPPY!
  10. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Update Time! New Art!

Just updated the Female Draken Thread with this post, I am going to expound upon it even more here, so prepare yourself for the great wall of text (with images!).

This is a character evolution / paper doll design sheet that I created as a support document for my ongoing Draken comic series that I post weekly (mostly weekly) in The Female Draken Thread.

In this post I will go into detail about what this document is, why I made it, and how.

Color and Shading
    [​IMG]
    Color Only​
    [​IMG]
    Line work and Shading​
    [​IMG]
    Line work Only​
    [​IMG]

What is this, and what does it mean?

This is a character design document, front view only (at the moment) showing a three stage age progression of the main character of my Draken comics. Pretty much it allows me to have a reference guide for the character in all of her various forms and gives me a powerful tool to quickly create outfits, hairstyles, armor, and other character details and maintain records of all of them. What it means is that I intend for this comic to hopefully go places and I intend to keep working on it as much as I can for the foreseeable future. Over the weekend I wrote up a rough storyline that should be able to fuel a comic entry every week or two for the next year or so with some grand plans (assuming I can get the lore and setting information I need). So for you guys that means you can expect a steady stream of comics in (hopefully) ever increasing quality and complexity as I feel my way through this brand new medium.

Also while Draken probably don't wear underwear I added it to the image (they are all naked in my source files) because I respect the Mod team here at WSC too much to intentionally post potentially troublesome material.

Why was this such a pain in the butt?

These quotes are a good starting point to explain why this was such a difficult task. Most amateur character artists (there are quite a few on this forum including myself) will tell you that drawing convincing masculine and feminine characters is all about the body profile and proportions. Essentially you should be able to turn your character into a silhouette with no other details and any random person would be able to tell you "it's a man" or "its a woman". Each gender has very strong visual markers that define them, for men it's broad shoulders, and narrow hips, a typical inverted triangle shape, for women it's the classic hourglass caused by a narrow waist and larger hips. Pretty simple stuff and it goes a long way towards making for solid character designs (unless you are a Japanese RPG dev, in that case just make everything look like teenage girls and just use the VO to distinguish between males and females).

The Female Draken are such a pain to draw because they do not have a typically feminine build and finding the balance between their board-shouldered, long-armed, athletic design motif and a female shape is frustratingly difficult.

My process:

[​IMG]

In order to make my design sheet work I needed correct female Draken proportions in order to get them this image became my primary reference and my overall design base. I would design the "Adult" character first as she would be mature and be fully proportioned. The first step was to determine the scale that Carbine had used to design the female Draken, using this image and a few screenshots I determined that the head scale (the size of the head proportional to the rest of the body) was just a hair over 7:1, a pretty typical scale. This meant that my Draken needed to be 7 head's tall in order to stay in proportion. The next step was to determine my shoulder and hip ratios, from there I could layout the rest of the body around those two key areas and really start to build my Draken. Using the image above and a number of super-secret techniques (I just made a copy of the image, flipped it, and used the two images side by side to project out a quick front extrapolation) I got a shoulder to hip value of about 1.2, meaning that my Draken's shoulders needed to be just slightly wider than her hips. I laid out my lines, added joint positions, limbs, etc... and started to flesh out the character.

What I kept ending up with was Michael Phelps, a tall, broad shouldered looking man with a big butt, and this was even after I had added the breasts. The problem? The breasts I had added were far too small! I went back to my reference image and really took a look at it and realized that female Draken have massive breasts for their apparent skinny build. The female Draken depicted in that piece of Concept Art (which I am assuming is a typical female Draken) has measurements of 34" 20" 44" and would be a 34 GG... :confused:

Anyway the point is that female Draken have massive hips that are disguised by their super-broad shoulders and they have equally massive breasts in order to make them read (be visually obvious to the player) female from a distance. Once I re sized some of my features the character really began to take shape, tho it looks a little unreal from a pure front-view because of those insane features.

And that is how I managed to get a proportionally correct female Draken for my design sheet.

Art Process:

[​IMG]

Pretty straightforward stuff. I started with very basic joint / line systems in order to quickly build the characters and then I constantly tweaked the proportions over the course of an hour or two until I got look that I wanted. From there I created basic outlines (note the blocky shoulders) for the body and went to work on creating semi-detailed heads. I used the head size to create a ruler that I used to tweak the proportions of each character, the "child" had a 5:1 ratio, the "adolescent" a 7:1, and the "adult" a 7.25:1 ratio. Once I had everything squared away I then put more work into my actual designs, removed the framing, cleaned up the lines until I ended up with this:

[​IMG]

From here all I had to do was do a flat color layer using the palette already in place from the previous comics. Keeping in-style with the comics I added a basic single-tone shading layer to establish a single light source and round out some shapes.

Tools used: Adobe Photoshop CS 5.5, Wacom Intuos 4 (medium).

That's it!

If you are still here reading this I'm impressed, did you see that mountain of text you had to trudge through just to get down here? You're nuts.

Anyway, let me know what you think, I will likely be editing this post over the next day or so to make it a bit less hectic.

- Jynetik
    Jersaun Korris, Dysp, Rai and 3 others like this.
  11. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

*applauds* Awesome character reference sheet, Jynetik!! I haven't had to chance to properly read through this, as I'm about to take off to go to work, but I just wanted to say well done! This will definitely come in handy as a reference when you're working on your comic, which by the way I am happy to hear you plan on continuing! :D I can see now how the female Draken would be a difficult character to draw, as their anatomy and features aren't traditionally as feminine, yet they still come across as sultry and flattering. :) I think you definitely captured that in your character. Great job!
    Jynetik likes this.
  12. Críostóir

Críostóir Cupcake-About-Town

Liking this a lot - cheers for posting the various steps that went into it, too!
    Jersaun Korris and Jynetik like this.
  13. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I commented about this in your Female Draken thread, but thought I'd stop by here and go "WTFHOLY FUUUUUU" as well! :p

Man, I'm seriously inspired to do female Draken art now. :p
    Jynetik likes this.
  14. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Love the comics! Little Huntress for clan-lord!
    Jynetik likes this.
  15. SirRobin

SirRobin Cupcake-About-Town

Great stuff! Thank you! :cool:
    Jynetik likes this.
  16. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

Some quick art for you guys. These are part of my new Draken comic entry which is currently in development, I'll probably post it to WSC on Friday or Saturday. I managed to get them done early because they are really simple so I thought I'd share. Probably spent about an hour and a half on each.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  17. Jynetik

Jynetik "That" Cupcake

This week I thought I'd do a "behind the scenes" piece on my latest Draken comic entry which you can find at The Female Draken Thread. This image is a bit large... so for those of you that cannot read it clearly from the image viewer built into this forum here is the link to the actual hosted file.

Enjoy, and as always let me know what you think!

[​IMG]
    Fate Flyer, Classix, Evion and 3 others like this.
  18. Jersaun Korris

Jersaun Korris Cupcake-About-Town

Really love the play by play of how you created your comic's scenes. I like the the story, and I'm interested to see any more iterations of it. Somehow (I may have missed it if said) I see this being your character's origin story for when the game is released.
    Jynetik likes this.
  19. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

Wow, impressive. The breakdown is great. That was a sad strip, though. :(

Your color choices really did tie the whole thing together nicely, as did you your camera angle choices. I particularly like the open hall. Is that Metalmaw on the wall? ..poor Metalmaw, all he wanted to do was be free and fly off into space..
    Jynetik likes this.
  20. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I could go into a long winded post about how the art was great and how you really managed humanized one of the supposedly most brutal races out there. (and I mean that In a good way) You put time into your story to both believable and touching while leaving your readers at a cliff hanger. Theres not enough information out there to know what the Drakens lifestyle is but its very plausible, I like it. All and all I can boil it down to one word.

Moar!
    Jynetik likes this.