1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Language and Lore

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Dyraele, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

The Facebook topic got me thinking about language and how it applies to lore and what it can be used for in the game.

My first thought was to have a common tongue with each race also having their own natural language as well as the language of the Eldar. Why?

First thing is it allows for each race to communicate with each other in their own language for RP purposes.

Second, it allows for an opportunity to gain knowledge/skill for the character to learn another language and for another to teach it (achievements).

Third, it allows for in game lore to be used via books that the Eldar wrote in their own language. If you can puzzle different clues around the world you could eventually learn their language. Once you know their language, you can read books in their language that would open up quests. Maybe even a book that leads to other books, etc. If you read all the necessary books then a larger quest opens up. The clues the books lead too would not be known if you had not read the book.

Just thinking out loud.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  2. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I really like this idea. While learning languages in EQ1 was pretty darn easy (I arranged "language lessons" for my guildies :p), it added something to the table that race meant something exclusive too besides visual looks. It means something when language barriers are there, but to work together inside the faction, they choose to use common basic. So why shouldn't players be able to RP that they may be a little less into the faction and more into their origin, but since their race is part of the faction, they deal.
  3. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I think your idea would best go with a profession that focuses on research. To branch out and do mini quests.
  4. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

maybe the scientist path?

that is a good idea. I know I am not interested in learning a new language but making it part of the game for others could be a fun thing.

The problem for me was that in SWTOR in the later stages of the game I ended up spacebaring through all the alien conversation. So maybe an alien translator (Babelfish) for the uninterested and for the rest who would want to decode and translate a language don't have it.
  5. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

That is certainly an idea and a possibility given that Wildstar team is developing the voice conversations in their main quest line.
  6. Tiktak

Tiktak Cupcake-About-Town

You know...all this emphasis on the two factions lately... *sniff sniff* Do I smell the Dominion revel sometime in the nearish future?

On topic: I like the idea of learning the different races languages, but I don't think it should be restricted to the Scientist path. Everyone should be able to learn everyones language. I can see explorers and scientists having an easier time than soldiers and settlers though.

Perhaps rare data discs or records drop from NPC members of the other faction races? And found sometimes in discoveries? But more often found in places where explorers can get to, or through scanning enemy Faction NPCs with the scan bot?
  7. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

To me this does not seem like a soldier class would be tempted to do. To pursue learning skills in foreign language chase down quests and seek the rewards of this part of the lore. More like like chase down a coordinates for some weaponry.
  8. Punx

Punx Cupcake

Imo, if it's done it should be kept simple yet engaging. Over-thinking things usually ends up in a massive amount of complaints, my suggestion would be an unlockable mini quest chain preferably after a certain reputation has been attained(the simplest way) or discovering hidden places that would kick it off for example: A stone with said tribe's/faction's language in hidden area like an old shrine, mini quest to discover what it says etc . Obviously not story design is not my forte but you can mix it up as well, some languages are harder to learn than others after all.
  9. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

Simplicity is often done poorly (complexity is done even more poorly more often) and so I agree with your first part. Keep it engaging. However, if you have a complex system that's engaging vs. a simple system that's engaging, most people prefer the complex.

I like the axiom of "Easy to play, but Hard to master...". I think that this is how games should be developed. However, there are games out there that are too simple (i.e. Diablo 3 levels 1-60) or just ridiculously complex (think Dwarf Fortress). The first was highly successful for a couple of months and then everyone got bored. The second is loved by few while more noobs get frustrated. Having a hook that's simple allows a player to jump in, but most players enjoy learning how to master the class/game they're playing.

As to your second point that I quoted, I don't think that over-thinking ends up in massive complaints. I think that stupidly hard/complex stuff does. But so does retardedly simple aspects of games. Inferno was stupidly hard that ended up being a gear requirement (thus the slew of complaints thrown Blizzard's way). WoW wasn't a difficult game at first, but when I played (Vanilla and TBC) the game grew harder the more you learned about it, especially as a tank. I prefer that type of game... A game that if I put the time in to over-think aspects, I get better.
  10. Punx

Punx Cupcake

While I agree somethings need to be tedious and have that learning curve, I personally don't feel learning a faction's language is in that particular category, it wouldn't really be game breaking if they just decided not to even worry about it.
  11. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

Having it implemented into the system would have some kind of a benefit perhaps it would turn into your faction's advantage.
  12. JarNod

JarNod WildStar Haiku Winner 2012 / Lead Guinea Pig

I would love to hear ideas about how to implement it. Do you have any good ones?
  13. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Surely even a soldier pick up a couple of colorful foreign curses and swear words, when killing their enemies :p
    JarNod likes this.
  14. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I like what Tiktak said earlier about data discs or records, I would use this with the Datacron. If you played bioshock it would be kinda like that, pick up a recording on the ground and then use skill to translate what was said.
  15. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I'll get back to you on that one.