1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling Speed and You!

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Drasas, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Poet

Poet Cupcake

Yeah funny how the pwl crew complains for nothing to do at end game when if you are there too soon queues will be crazy long and no one else is there to raid with etc.
  2. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

From the Q&A last night:

Gotta say I am pretty thrilled with that answer.
    Poet likes this.
  3. Poet

Poet Cupcake

As long as i don't have 10+ quests that i still haven't completed i really just want to be able to do the majority of quests at the appropriate level.
  4. Draahl

Draahl Cupcake-About-Town

Leveling is so dependant on game, when Asherons call 1 was out i loved that pace. It took 1.5 years before the first person reached max level, and that was with botting(was allowed as long as you could stay at the comp).

I liked how leveling was in RIFT too, and in SWTOR. Atleast for the first couple of characters. I think its not really the pace, but the content along the journey that is important. If it feels slow and grindy for you, its obviously not made for you and what you love.
  5. FullMetalPizza

FullMetalPizza New Cupcake

For me, the leveling process is "the longer, the better" as long as it's not repetitive or boring, I can level up 1000 levels if you want.
  6. Unseen

Unseen New Cupcake

I'm the same way though, I HATE leveling. I am an end-game type of player, I love raiding! It's the only things I enjoy about MMO's. The leveling to me is just some time for me to get accustomed to my character and to refine the way I play a bit. Then afterwards, I can master raiding and go from there. I've always been a hard-core raider, so leveling to me if too long can deter me from a game. I remember WoW in vanilla and TBC pre-patch; I can't believe I made it to cap -- let alone go through all the content in raids with the top 10 guilds.
  7. Dean Fry

Dean Fry Cupcake

Personally I love leveling if its enjoyable, the environment I'm in is either relaxing or full of action and if the end-game content is worth it so if Carbine makes this a fantastic game to play then I don't care if it takes me a month to reach level cap.
  8. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

As long as progress is steady and fun with little or no grind, I like a fairly slow leveling pace. What I dislike is when you hit a zone that won't let you go and you get bogged down. Zones need to be similar in pace for me.

But I hope there is some way to make old, out-leveled quests relevant. I hate seeing quests go grey and dropping them, knowing I'll never have a reason to go back and finish them. Being able to use dropped quests to earn something at end game would be fun.
  9. Crybone

Crybone Cupcake-About-Town

Leveling speed is a matter of content. If there is good content i don't matter long level speed. If there is bad content... I won't play the game :p
    Poet and Malorak like this.
  10. Clickbeast

Clickbeast Cupcake

I thought it was interesting that one of the devs mentioned that:

1) Players who were already in the beta complained about the nerfed leveling speed

2) New players that just got in (people who got in for CBT1 instead of F&F) didn't complain because they never saw the previous speed.

With that in mind, it's interesting how established perceptions affect feedback. It made me really value the notion that the devs have to constantly input new users to get "fresh" feedback
    Poet likes this.
  11. Poet

Poet Cupcake

^This
  12. Poet

Poet Cupcake

I don't know the population they used to select from in the CBT1 but i am guessing it was some of the folks to followed the game during early development and have show some long interest in the game, which i tend to believe are MMO Vets who have played some of the earlier games that took longer to lvl in.
  13. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

Just quoting Gaffney's answer to my post:

My reply.
  14. Poet

Poet Cupcake

/golf clap

Seems like the Dev team likes to stick to their guns so this sounds like about right to me
    Rai likes this.
  15. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I join MMOs ultimately for the end game content. That being said, earlier WoW made dungeons approachable in the same way so I didn't mind the wait. Now they're almost soloable, redesigned to get you in and out.

I think there's a sweet spot in between! The console remake of Diablo 3 highlighted this point: less loot, but more meaningful loot. Solo people will always solo, and have fun! But dungeon boss loot should have better stats to always be competitive with the people powering solo. You're a few levels higher? My dagger has the same/better stats AND IT LOOKS AWESOME.

The longterm MMO draw for most people is the look of dungeon/raid loot anyways. Give me a reason to do leveling dungeons. Especially with MMOs including gear reskinning more often.
  16. Reeve

Reeve Cupcake-About-Town

I mostly agree. If you can just level past the group quest zones/areas in a couple hours, what are the incentives to take the time to collect a group to do the more challenging group content? Whatever gear or rewards you get will be obsolete in a few hours anyway, right?

I prefer a somewhat slower pace of leveling. Maybe not Everquest slow, but I think WoW's pacing in early Vanilla was quite good for a brand new game. I guess the question is if Wildstar has sufficient content to support a slow leveling pace.
  17. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Wonder if it would work to have a flag when you're creating your alt...to 'level normally' or to 'level accelerated'.

In fact, I've know a bunch of folks in EQ2 that turned off experience (myself included)... with alts to make sure to experience all the content.

So my suggestion would be to have a way to alter the experience gain for your alts.