1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling too fast in Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pumba2988, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Pumba2988

Pumba2988 New Cupcake

Well i dont know about you but i enjoy games that take more time to reach level cap.
    Give you the right amount of time to explore each area. Like if you fully complete an area you are not 4 levels above it any ways, kinda like swtor and vanilla wow

Please Wildstar dont make it easy for kids to reach 50 trust me it'll ruin the game in the long run
    make it challenging thats what its for people dont want to be level 50 in a week and go ohh fuk now what do we do?

Just by watching the livestreams on the BETA this guy did 5 bars in one pvp match man cmon wtf? too easy and he was level 12
    Mua'diib and KADAMA like this.
  2. Rivele

Rivele Cupcake

the question is leveling in pve compared to level in pvp, what is the right balance.

i know some people love to level strictly in one or the other but where do you draw the line as to the ratio.

it seems like lately leveling has become trivial to most and most people rather not do it. why try an mmorpg and not expect to have to level?
  3. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

I know leveling via PvP is painfully slow hehe.
  4. Stich

Stich Cupcake

levelling by pvp is slow, but bare in mind what you saw was level 6-14 pvp xp gain in swtor 5 bars is easy to get at level 10 from one pvp game, i've up leveld four times in pvp in swtor
  5. Perigon

Perigon Cupcake

The general consensus from people playing the beta seems to be that levelling takes a bit longer than usual (for the first 15 levels at least). However to be fair I never came across a mmo (that I played) that I found to be too fast to level. If I wanted more levelling fun, a new character would usually sort out that for me.
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

I've actually heard the opposite is the general consensus, and that people in beta feel that leveling is far too quick. Now I guess we could look at your specific line that says "a bit longer than usual" and then say that the current MMO trend is a level every time you hit 2 mobs, so in that sense yes, it would be "a bit longer than usual".
  7. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

Pretty sure Carbine said in the last stream that leveling time is something they are currently playing around with.
    Witless, BLAPPiN, CriSPeH and 2 others like this.
  8. Spracket

Spracket Cupcake-About-Town

This is one of the handful of factors that I am very frightened about. On the one hand, I'm trusting Carbine, I've heard that they want leveling to be a challenge, and I've heard that some people actually are taking a long time, in that there's only a handful of people above 40. However, this may just be the devs blowing smoke up the game's keister.

However, I feel that - from what we've been hearing - leveling is in no way as challenging as some want it to be. At least, in my opinion, it's a little off-putting to hear that there are any players above level 40. Granted, Carbine is still working on it (beta is beta), but I seriously doubt that they're going to take away experience gain in order to make people grind anymore. When they say that it's something they're playing with, I really see it as them trying to get us through each zone without giving us too much help, which frankly, I hope isn't the case.

*shrug* Who knows? All I know is that my favorite RPGs were the ones where I wasn't max level in the first month.
  9. Pumba2988

Pumba2988 New Cupcake

I mean just saying as the OP. If someone likes PvE leveling and wants to Level in game but an occasional pvp Q doesnt hurt to mix it up a bit. Plus i like vanilla wow pvp you actually had to go to WSG or a battle master to Q up. and instead of insta Q'ing plus with the INSTA Q tele to dungeon <REDACTED> dat, That just eliminates the sense of Depth in the game. like WOW before summoner stones came along i mean i felt real good getting a group together and missioning over to barrens (Alliance)<player. to RFK and RFD for rewards its alot harder and more satisfying please dont eliminate this from the game as wow did and made everyone just chill in the <REDACTED>en citys all day spamming fuk that, man Wow was good before they introduced exp in BG's i mean twinking was another faqctor people played wow and kept people there <-- me as one of them. I mean your supposed to create a diverse world for players to immerse themselves in not something thats totally easy and you guys always say ''HMMM Yep No skill in Wildstar weve tried to create something different" IMHO please keep the vanilla wow factor in this game just give it new content and you will not fail guaranteed. All of old time gamers want this game to be the next 10 years of our spare time you know what i mean? THE DEVS ARE LISTENING HUH.
    KADAMA likes this.
  10. Deavon

Deavon Cupcake

That is correct.
    If you watch the streams you will see that the participants get a pop up inquiry about there opinion on how fast they leveled to 10 and 15.
    Chrilin and Livnthedream like this.
  11. Livnthedream

[​IMG]
    Vilonic likes this.
  12. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

Just give us the lvlingcurve that vanillawow had, and im happy.
    i mean the endgamers will rush to endgame anyway, no matter how the lvlingcurve looks like.
    So please give those that enjoy lvling a long lvling process.
    Just like you give the endgamers their fun. ;)

And if i understand right, there is so much quests on Nexus that its almust owerwhelming, so i dont think it means to much "grinding" if we get a long lvling curve.

Well a bit of grinding is healthy anyway. :D
  13. Livnthedream

Poor argument is poor. There is only so far you can realistically stretch the curve before you alienate too many players because they do not feel like they are progressing. Especially when you average play rates and the like. It is super unlikely we will see "real" leveling times of more than 100-120 hours as they want even the casual players to be hitting "endgame" by the time sub comes up for renewal.
  14. Rentah

Rentah Cupcake-About-Town

Actually. Im up for slow leveling. But there's one thing that i hate more than fast leveling. That is if i level so slow that i need to completly clean every area to be able to proceed. An MMO where you need to do everything is just a job afterall. I'd love to do half"ish" of the quests in an area to be able to proceed. Which actually keeps some of the mystique in the game. I want to have a longlived mmo. And i think that making people hate different stuff and realise that it was fun years later provide just that.
  15. Sapien

16. Sapien

Just like Carbine is doin endgame "hardcore" they could give us the lvling "hardcore" as well, i think there is enought with fastlvling mmo's out there as it is already. ;)
    Mathness likes this.
  17. Galium

Galium Cupcake

I have never understood the idea behind extended leveling to be honest.

I think leveling should be about learning your character and the game, the time needed beyond that is a waste. What is the value of a long leveling curve, couldn't you set some other arbitrary end goal for max level as well?

So for example lets say leveling is fairly quick, but once you get to max level you get a super long story quest line that walks you through a lot of lore and different end game maps, instances, etc.

So with just long leveling curve it takes X time to get there. In my example A (leveling) + B (quest) = X.

Is that not the same thing? The benefits to me is limited number of needed leveling zones which later in the game often becomes wasted, empty content. Most of your time is spent playing your character as it is in end game, rather then a limited version of itself.

I leveled in original DAoC and Aeon so leveling does not bother me, I just never personally saw the value in it.
  18. Sapien

Well, you see the lvling as a learningcurve for endgame (yes its a learningcurve, but its also a part of the game to enjoy), while the lvling for me is one part of the game that i enjoy very much.

For an example:
    If the lvlingcurve is long the gear one craft or may loot makes moore of an impact on the characters, couse you have that gear longer, and with that crafting is more fun, and the rear drops makes more fun to get couse you have them longer, atleast for me. :)
  19. Livnthedream

My argument was backed with actual reasoning, not "another demo is getting attention, give me some too". Especially when you fail to take into account so many other player types.

You would have a point if Carbine has already made clear that its not the case. It is evident with how they have designed path content.

Because there was a time when the leveling part was the game. The whole focus on endgame has come about entirely as a way to keep players playing/paying. In this now endgame focused environment I agree its superfluous. It appears Carbine is hitting on a solid balance with how Path content is designed to "plug the gaps" where they do not need to design tons of leveling stuff.
  20. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

The only experience I have with extended leveling is Vanilla. Everything after that has been a race to level cap.

I feel that it taking longer to level made me more invested in my toon and the game. Leveling actually meant something and wasn't just something you had to do to get to the "real" game.

When I have played mmo's since and leveled within a week it has always made me more fickle.
    BLAPPiN and Pumba2988 like this.