1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling too fast in Wildstar?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Pumba2988, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair it is a common prataice within hardcore raiding guilds that are pushing for record breaking progression, to ask their primary members to maintain and understand the machines of different classes. While my experience in 40's is lacking, going based off my personal experience in competitive 10 and 25 HM raids in WoW, I had to maintain four characters.

Maintaining multiple raiding is not a rare thing in extremely competitive raiding since a core group is comprised around the players, not the classes, it is up to those players to bring in the classes that are needed.
    calebrus likes this.
  2. calebrus

calebrus Cupcake-About-Town

Yep.
    Plus, when the <non-core> guildies that only had a toon or two wanted to raid, they certainly better not expect me to put my regulars on timer and throw my normal schedule off, therebye screwing up our regular runs....
    Just one more example of why I had extra toons in the cabinet. I couldn't help the non-core guildies or the up-and-comers if I didn't have extra toons to spare.
  3. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

That sounds like an incredibly poorly run guild honestly.

That is a common practice now, but it did not used to be. You can actually see the practice start in Tbc with SSC and people leveling warlock alts so they could soulstone the raid for Lady Vashj attempts. As WoW made it easier and easier to both level and "catch up" toons it became more of a thing. Once Blizzard instituted limited attempts on bosses running multiple raids became a go to answer if you were wanting "world first". If you are limited to 1 hour per week to work on it, then simply throw more toons at it so you have more than an hour.
  4. calebrus

Not at all. I prefer small close knit guilds rather than the million man march of the chat spammer.
    It was a simple matter of numbers.
    We had our regular runs wher we used our regular toons.
    Maybe we had more free time to help out the new guy and maybe we didn't.
    Maybe we had a spot for him in our regular runs because someone no-showed and maybe we didn't.
    Maybe he was off timer when we asked who wanted to do a run and maybe he wasn't.
    Less toons means less opportunities to raid. If everyone else just went on timer and you came off, you either wait for them to be available to run (if they have more time beyond the normal runs) or you grab a couple guildies that are interested and pug out the rest.
    As they got more toons in raiding range, more opportunities opened up. It's simple math.

edit: I should add that this wasn't in WoW. I never got ito WoW. It just wasn't for me.
  5. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

You're right, I don't have any proof that will happen in this game. I'm not sure what the mythical raid invite grp is...?
  6. Enkidu

That is around the time I got into competitive raiding so for me that is pretty much all I have ever known, and that is why I did not mention anything regarding previous era of raiding, since I have no personal experience with that. Though in FFXI it was normal practice to have many geared jobs if you were into raiding, though the system itself is extremely different being as one character could level any job, leveling said job still took effort, but due to having a shared system gearing up was not as time consuming since you gear accusation was handled differently.

Though, I get the feeling in WS that certain tanks may be better suited for certain encounters and as such certain healers are better at healing certain tanks. I do think having many geared characters will not be that rare, and for some even not so hardcore guilds may be required if they wish to make any meaningful progression. That is just my speculation, being as encounters could lead to certain comps, like back in early Cata, the druid stacking for a certain encounter, just made it easier for handle the adds due to roots, when that got changed it was hunters.
  7. Livnthedream

Not even in terms of WoW, if you have a small group and are just grabbing some people and pugging the rest instead of having actual leadership set up dates and times and the like it comes off as poorly run to me. Organization is half the point in a guild.

There has been a rumor floating around for a while that raid testing is already occurring on a separate beta client using "top guilds". Since nothing has leaked out about it much of anywhere, I personally find it doubtful. If you have your ear to the ground you tend to hear the whispers.

Grabbing off slot gear and being prepped for taking on another role if need be is a bit different than leveling and keeping 2+ toons up to date and ready to go. I personally did not play ffxi, but I have had long conversations with those who have and between that and my own experience with ff14, I would draw that as a closer approximation.

I do have some experience with raiding on multiple toons, though it wasn't until Wrath. I liked how those who had alts in Vanilla, rarely got to do any serious raids on them. They were usually relegated to 20 man stuff, or gear up recruit runs, and even then they were not allowed to take loot unless it wasn't needed by a main. I liked how much time and effort was needed to be dedicated to one toon over having 2-3 at similar levels of progression. With the focus on 40 mans its something that I want to return also. With the raids being long, and the focus not on who beats it first, but who beats it fastest, I feel many are going to burn out trying to run more than one toon. Or at least that is my hope.

I don't think its going to be that pronounced. It will matter for those who are pushing for the top leaderboard stuff, but I doubt it will be required to make progression. People aren't going to be hitting a lot of these undergeared like they were to force that sort of class stacking.
  8. Enkidu

For me I honestly found it easier to maintain 2+ characters, then trying to maintain a geared PLD, WAR ( 2H and DW), NIN, and BRD. Switching was easier, macro sets were no issue. FFXI, had to make changes depending on the class and usage. Though the gear switch between TP gain, and WS use was not so bad. Doing AF quests for each of those jobs got annoying quick. Among other wonderful issues.

FFXIV is leaps ahead of FFXI when it comes to job switching, and I would much rather level up a whole new toon for a certain class then have it be shared across the same character if it meant going with the FFXI system.
  9. Mailroomclerk

Mailroomclerk Cupcake

I hope it takes some good time to level. I enjoy a game that focuses on mains, I hope this is one. I understand with a lot of MMO experience that leveling can be boring, no matter what MMO you are playing because you are only interested in one thing, the end-game.

I would hope that during the leveling experience you are put on a path that actually requires you to be skilled with your character. I do not want to run into a problem where players at max level barely know how to perform.
  10. calebrus

Not all guilds are hardcore raiding guilds. Not all guilds are created equal or for the same reasons.
    If finding and running with a small group of people that you come know, like, and genuinely care about is more important to you than a hardcore raiding schedule, then when you find that group you get what you get.
    For some, guilds are about the people, not the loot or the schedule.
    That's what I'm about. And if that hardcore aspect is needed after I've found my fit somewhere.... well, that's what alliances are for. And as long as the group that I find myself with can hold their own with the hardcore raiding guys, alliances have never been hard to come by. But that doesn't help the newcomers right off the bat until they get to know those guys as well. ;)
  11. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

right, I just didn't make that connection with the description you used, but I know of that rumor also.
    The rest of your post is how I believe it will be and how I'd like it to be and if true, then I don't feel a system like this supports a need to rush several toons to cap.
  12. calebrus

It's being tested internally, getting ready for testing in CBT soon, according to this article I found earlier.
    http://wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/gaffney-comments-on-raiding-and-level-cap-for-beta.7830/#post-191606

And yes, the ability to swap LAS and gear for an insta-role change is certainly going to reduce the need for multiple toons, but only if timers are reasonable. The longer timers are, the more toons will be needed. Especially for players in smaller (and maybe even medium sized) guilds, as I explained above was my preference.
  13. jetah

jetah Cupcake

14. Seluna

Seluna New Cupcake

I yearn for the Vanilla Wow experience where having a max level character was an achievement and it took time to max it out with mounts/gear, and alts were not another maxed out raiding character you could make in a heartbeat.

Character progression was an adventure back then, not a chore you wanted to do as fast as possible.
    Azer likes this.
  15. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Actually the druid stacking was for the massive amount of damage a feral druid could produce with the Nef MC buff and Rip. How DoTs worked with the buff was what got changed and melee in that fight are a liability, so hunters produced the next best dps option.

I agree that the bleeding edge guilds will maintain multiple toons at high levels of gear/competency to be able to stack their raid when needed. Certainly it won't be the first tier as they will be racing with whatever team they have leveled up, but once that content is completed there will be a lull for the rest of the guilds to catch up, in which they will level and gear another toon.

But, for the overwhelming majority of raiders, they will likely have the Vanilla situation of a main and an alt, and will not have multiple equally geared characters, especially since it is unesseccary for most circumstances since every class can fill 2 roles and getting 40 people together is much more difficult, compared to running 10-man raids. The normal problem of needing a tank or a healer can be more easily filled with an off-spec rather than another character.
  16. Enkidu

I agree with ya, I cannot comment on 40 mans since I never took part in them in the competitive sense, but if an encounter is more favorable and in a sense could be cheesed so to speak by stacking certain classes people with the means will use it. Players have been known to do something crazy things to get an edge be it in progression like the the faction changing to reset lockouts, or the druid stacking for paragon. Granted the took the druids due to him taking more dmg via dots, but if I recall it also allowed them to root the skeletons, which made the fight that much easier. I do think after the hotfix the root aspect was not enough to stack them. Nevertheless, they got the world first because they had the means to make the encounter easier then intended. Do not get me wrong I see nothing wrong with this.

It all boils down to finding a guild that fits your play style.
  17. Azer

Azer Cupcake

Honestly all raid content since EverQuest is totally puggable.

I'm still amazed that such a thing as a competitive raiding scene exists.
    calebrus likes this.
  18. Livnthedream

Implying Eq wasn't also puggable. :)
    Azer likes this.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Honestly all raid content is able to be defeated on the very first attempt.

I'm still amazed that any raid group would need more than that.
    Azer, teh_ninjaneer and Livnthedream like this.
  20. Azer

Azer Cupcake

Because we're usually blackout drunk...