1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Texer, May 22, 2013.

?

How do you prefer leveling?

1. Very fast.

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Fast.

48 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Slow.

125 vote(s)
    53.4%
  4. Very Slowly.

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I Don't Care At all!

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Texer

Texer New Cupcake

Hello community, my first post in here!

For those who are inside Closed-Beta, how is leveling going? Is it too easy? How long would it take for a Hardcore and Cusual player to achieve level cap?

One thing that I really don't like about news MMOs is the super fast leveling, we can't enjoy the world we are in, they make every single quest so ridiculous we don't wanna read what it is asking. I think a harder leveling would be way better for this game, remember old MMOs when we used to stay hours playing to get a small quantity of exp, I enjoyed those times!

My favorite part of MMOs is PvE and I want to enjoy it to the maximum!

What do you have to say about leveling?
  2. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I prefer slower levelling from loads of quests. Rushing content is boring, when it can't be hard rush in a few hours it makes 'racing' more than just who can stay up longer. I for one support levelling content that takes a decent number of hours
    Malorak likes this.
  3. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

People inside closed-beta are under an NDA and thus cant disclose that information.

Personally, levelling speeds depend on playtime. You can modify the levelling speed by playing longer, simply. People say 'this game takes so long to hit cap' yet play 1 hour a day. There is no defined speed really, it's all about the individual.

If you're talking generally like quest:level ratio. I don't really know how to explain my fancy. I like levelling through content at a pace where I leave just before I get bored. It took me 21 hours to hit cap in Neverwinter, I'd do that again. However, I'd like there to be more content, maybe 22 hours? ;)
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  4. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

is leveling fun? then it can be slow, is the majority of content at level cap? than it should be fast.
    Alverad likes this.
  5. Texer

Texer New Cupcake

That is a problem, devs are so focused in making end-game fun and full of content that they make leveling too fast and boring we can't enjoy the full game. A good MMO is not the one that forces you to rush level cap to start having some fun. I hope them not to focus only in end-gaming.
    Milamilou and Kishmet like this.
  6. BonusStage

End game is also where the game gets competitive and stops holding hands, that is why most people want to level as fast as possible.

Leveling dosent have to be slow to be fun, dont mistake fast with easy, or grinding with hard.

old MMO's required hundreds of hours to level because they did not want you to level, they wanted that as long as there was a carrot in front of your nose you would not leave their game.

the carrot is still there, but now instead of a number that barely affects your game it is shiny loot.

the game dosent end once you hit the cap, it starts.
  7. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

200+ hours to cap.
  8. BonusStage

that's 100 days for most people.

having that much time sink into your game isnt good for the comunity, people at end game wont have people to group up with, and people who play 2-4 hours a day get to end game too late to do anything
  9. Texer

Texer New Cupcake

That is a good average for leveling IMO, if you're right its a good sign!
  10. Kaelang

Kaelang Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this.

If you want a slow levelling experience, make it slow. Nobody is telling you to optimize your quests and only quest. Go and explore, craft, do something else. For the people who want end-game, like you want slow levelling, we also have the option to do so, it's called optimizing quest routes and rushing content.

These two can, and are, split. There is no real defined levelling speed, just how the individual uses the experience.
  11. BonusStage

i dont thikn 200hours of leveling can be done without it becoming boring,grindy and repetitive.

especially not for people who enjoy alts.

1200hours of gameplay just go have all classes at cap+ end game content.

is this a game or is it a college education
    XPhiler likes this.
  12. Sabre070

The 200+ is what they've already said as the content that they've got.

They'll adjust that to however much entertaining content they have.

Personally leveling is a huge part of the game for me (and I'd say over 65% of the players, since that's how many play solo) so a long fun leveling process is awesome.
  13. Myrrdhinn

Myrrdhinn Well-Known Cupcake

Well for me it's not the speed that matters. When I enjoy something I forget about time and space. :D
    So.. if slow leveling means a bunch of FedEx & kill 10 rats quests than no thanks. Luckily WildStar doesn't seems to do that.

Basically, we can have (and I'm pretty sure we will) slow progression in WildStar if there is enough exciting and varied content.
  14. BonusStage

if it's fun content i dont mind, i just wont have all the alts i tought i would
  15. Sabre070

It'll just mean that you'll take longer to level them all up - but you'll have more fun playing them pre-cap. (Comparing this to other games where it's pretty boring levelling, no matter how fast it may be).
  16. BonusStage

there is another thread on the same topic on this forum

found this there

17. Sabre070

Also, they're experimenting with making housing account wide atm so if that happens it'll be easier to level up alts.
    BonusStage likes this.
  18. Ohoni

Ohoni Cupcake-About-Town

I lean towards "fast," but it really depends on how the game feels. I like to feel that I'm accomplishing something every single day. If I'm playing a game and at the end of an hour or two of playing I feel that all I've accomplished is to fill a few bubbles that put me 25% towards the next real accomplishment, then that feels too slow to me. If on the other hand, I clear a bunch of objectives in the world then maybe I won't mind so much.

A classic example of getting it wrong, to me, at least, was Champions Online. They had a certain pace to leveling in beta that I really enjoyed. The content gave out enough XP that you only had to do about half of it to reach cap, which made playing through the game a very pleasant experience, and gave your alts plenty to do. A couple weeks before launch though, they cranked the XP faucets way down. This meant that now you needed to do at least 80% of the content in the game in order to reach cap, which meant that when offered parallel tracks (like the level. . . 6-12 zones I think it was?) you had to go back and do the other one a bit before being high enough level to take on the next zone, and that always leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think GW2 got it right here. There are ways to power level, certainly, and those could probably be downgraded a bit, but if you just "play the game" normally, I think the time it takes to hit cap is very comfortable, with plenty of content available so that you can easily hit cap without doing even a quarter of it, giving plenty of things for alts to do, or for you to do once you've hit cap, since it scales so well.

As long as there's plenty of content and plenty of player choices to make within each level, they can drag out the "time to cap" pretty far, but the less player choices there are at and within each level, and the more reaching the next level feels like a "grind" rather than just something that comes as a surprise while you're just having fun, then the more annoying it becomes.
  19. crowsong

crowsong Cupcake-About-Town

I don't speed level, i clear content. So if it takes me at least 1 day (3-5 hour) to clear a zone Ill be happy. If i hit cap in under 100 hours of game play Ill be sorely disappointed..
  20. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Voted for very slow, and I'm happy to see so many votes for slow and very slow. I want it to feel difficult to even grind out a level, I'm so sick of easy mode MMO's where you level up so fast that when you ding it is meaningless, I prefer it to take a long time and then actually get some sense of satisfaction when I ding.

As an example of leveling gone wrong I would say GW2 is a joke, anyone that expects a gratz for a ding in that game would seriously make me /facepalm, however I remember back in Lineage 2 it could take days to level even playing silly amounts of hours a day, and those dings really deserved a gratz.
    WakeskaterX likes this.