1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Texer, May 22, 2013.

?

How do you prefer leveling?

1. Very fast.

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Fast.

48 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Slow.

125 vote(s)
    53.4%
  4. Very Slowly.

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I Don't Care At all!

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

I am half in agreement with you, I also think 20 mins does not include completing every quest, but where I see things differently is that to me clearing/completing a zone means you do complete the quests, as that is the content, leveling in itself I do not consider real content, that's just xp gain.

And just to be clear I already posted earlier that out leveling a zone was a different issue.
  2. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

For some perspective, it takes about 10 minutes to level from 3-4 in EQ (Quynos) solely by grinding beetles and skels for XP, and EQ levels are about as long as most people can stand. I'm sure it can be done faster than that if you try.

20 minutes in a modern MMO for levels 3-6 seems reasonable when you know exactly what and where to attack, what quests and systems to exploit, and the requisite XP rewards for each. These levels always go by quickly, and I don't think he meant 100% completion in his example.
  3. Sawpaw

That's the thing, I am talking about 100% zone completion, maybe he did not mean it to sound like that, but that's what I have read it to mean. Nowhere have i said that leveling from 3-6 is not possible in 20 mins, my only concern was if it was possible to complete every quest in a zone in 20 mins, then honestly I would find that disappointing.
  4. Trenan

Trenan New Cupcake

As someone who has been involved with many level up races, and server firsts to "x" level, I agree. Myself and many fellow competitors will tear through content many many times faster than your average player. After about my 20th or so level up in WoW, intro zones took a couple of minutes and I knew which class and starting zone was the quickest path to mid-game.
  5. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

I wish I had not posted anything now, but since I did, I feel like I need to address this misinformation.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but the argument that a 20 minute speed run by a professional in a level 3-6 introductory zone in their 100+ try has any reflection on pretty much anything about the time it takes to get to the Elder game in an MMO is flat wrong. I have played through NW about 10 times, and I can't even do it in the 45 minute window I believe we give people at conventions.

Edit: I am talking only about a speed run, where the intent is only to get out of the zone (which in the case of NW requires completing the main story quests only)
  6. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

Come on Gor, dont say things like "I wish I had never posted anything", this is the internet right?
    dont let it bug ya, your follow up post clarified things.
    ;)
  7. Neleh

Neleh New Cupcake

I'm confused as to why that time is too short. I mean you could do the human starting zone 1-6 in WoW in under 20 minutes, in vanilla without any experience boosting effects, and that's with all the quests in the area completed. Compared to that, the 20 min speed run by a tester/developer for only 3 levels doesn't sound too bad. Do take note, that is probably pretty much the absolute quickest possible time, and normal players will at least double that and probably more.
  8. Dex Charisma

Dex Charisma Cupcake

I appreciate the information and the clarification. Now we have a decent idea of what our time in the newbie zone could be, both on the low, smell-the-flowers side, and the high speed run side. Good food for debate. And it's not like you said it would take 5 minutes, drunk, while eating a sandwich.
    Hephen likes this.
  9. Sawpaw

Ok now that makes sense.
  10. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

Well, there will always speed-runners who don't care about the lore and what the quests are for, they are just doing because they want to hit 50 first, those will always be fast but are only 15% of the players.

Normal players, I hope, will take the time the devs want.

Me? I will get every bit of lore I can, IF I am level 10 in a level 6 zone I don't care, and you know why? Because of the Paths and changeling system, those 2 make me want to complete every zone, every quest, every bit of lore, so yeah I will take really really long time before level 50
  11. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

Looks like we've found a Scientist.
    Sonntam likes this.
  12. Maxtross

Maxtross Cupcake-About-Town

I tends to out level the zone in every MMO's that i've been into :roflamo:
  13. FrozenlandPT

FrozenlandPT Cupcake

Yes sir, ICI Agent Reznor reporting in.
  14. FerretParade

FerretParade New Cupcake

I just miss when the leveling speed was slow enough that if you could not play for a couple days you would not be so far behind you can't group with people you met because there level difference is too great already. Its getting very tough to bond with others on the server with fast leveling trends these days. getting rid of all time sinks leaves no time to socialize
  15. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

They already mentioned that the way you kill (skilfully or not, one mob vs many at once) and if you know how and manage to do multiple quests at once, will be recognised by game by giving you more experience. So I believe that people who finish game once, will be able to give their alts uber gear for their level, know what quests they can do in one go, and how to deal with specific mobs so they can pull more than one a a time and how to kill those mobs skilfully. This way they can get much more exp and level much faster to not get too bored of repetitions or if they need to get to max lvl fast for any reason.
    Underz likes this.
  16. Jarys

Jarys New Cupcake

Saying that they have 200 hours of content is very, very different from saying that it takes 200 hours to hit cap. One thing to keep in mind, however, is that most games tend to take ~100 hours to reach cap. Expansions in wow used to take at least 24-48 hours to go through all the leveling (unsure of now). If you think on actually playing the game, 200 hours is not that absurd. I know for quite a while the fastest 80 or 85 or what have you was 4 days or so /played time, which is nearly 100 hours.
  17. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I prefer slower levelling but the main thing for me is to get the pacing right.

Interesting that people are mentioning Neverwinter as being hard to level as that was the first game I've ever felt punished for playing the game in that levelling was way too fast for some parts.
    Simply doing the daily quests (foundry/PvP/Dungeon/Skirmish) made you out level the story content by a huge margin, and that was doing the story based foundry quests alone, not the mob grind style level grinding ones.

I'd have loved an option to turn off xp gain for certain parts (PvP/Foundry mainly as it seemed to be something like half a level or so per foundry quest and a fair chunk per battleground) as I find it more enjoyable to attempt content at level rather than steamrolling through it over levelled just to experience the story.
    Plus the queue level restrictions meant it was easy to out level some of the skirmish/dungeons queue brackets very easily especially if you were trying to tie the runs in with the 'bonus hour' periods.

Once I hit cap I actually felt relieved as I could play whatever content I wanted without worrying about 'missing' anything due to being over levelled.
    The price of being a 'must try everything' style of player I guess - 1st world problems :laugh:

Edit: Psistorm reminded me of a great system with EQ2 and Alternate Advancement where you could effectively funnel your xp into the AA system instead of normal levels if you were out levelling content and you didn't want to, plus it's a type of system where you can have really heavy investment required to advance without people complaining over time taken to reach cap and be 'allowed' to experience endgame. Quietly hoping there's something similar for Wildstar with mention of it being more/less difficult to unlock certain abilities based on character race.
  18. Rarlian

Rarlian New Cupcake

I guess it depends on the gap between slow and fast. I don't want to be grinding quests for days on end to get from 30-31, but I don't want to do like 5 quests and get 3 levels either. I think it's all about finding a happy medium. :)
  19. Chuk

Chuk New Cupcake

I guess I´m a bit special in that case.
    I wouldn´t mind to level for at least 1000h, even if its grindy and sometime really, really annoying (like corpserunning for half an hour). It should be something special, if you are even able to hit max. lvl.

But, yeah, I know those times are gone, sadly.
  20. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

From what I understood Gortok say, I think he meant it will take ~200 hours to get to the current beta cap of 30? Could be mistaken though, it is not incredibly clear what he meant.