1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Leveling

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Texer, May 22, 2013.

?

How do you prefer leveling?

1. Very fast.

9 vote(s)
    3.8%
  2. Fast.

48 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Slow.

125 vote(s)
    53.4%
  4. Very Slowly.

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. I Don't Care At all!

26 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

heh, no its for the entire level cap, and its more likely to be 150-200.
  2. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

If that is true, that it takes 200 hours to get to cap, then that is honestly not that long in the grand scope of the game. I was hoping for more like 300 to even 500 hours to get to cap.

I know that in BC it took me literally months to get to level 70. When I got there it was an amazing feeling and a huge achievement for me. I still remember the day I hit 70. I don't remember the day I hit 80 or 85; nor do I remember the day that I hit 80 in GW2. It was unmemorable.
  3. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

I really liked vanilla wow's level progression system. It was a real achievement to hit level 60 and not "oh dude ur max level- bout time." like it is now a days. I'm fine with it being relatively quick or decidely paced for the early levels 1-10 or 20 but, personally 80% or 60% of the levels you need should be an actual GRIND. This ensures that the players will at least learn some of the skills more in depth and possibly change their play style from every time. In GW2 I found myself just streamlining and I hit max level really quick- I used a single play style and I didnt learn much from leveling at all I feel. I was left wanting. In WoW vanilla on my first character I found leveling super exciting and at sometimes a little bit of a challenge, It took time and I was fine with that because I was learning, experimenting and was able to find fellow players my level because it was slow enough where hardcore players were even forced to take a bit of time to level- casuals were stuck leveling a huge amount thus the low level zones were still swarming a bit. Enter now, low level zones in GW2 and WoW seem dead (tho I havent played wow since cata). Why is this? It is so fast to level by the time you catch up to someone in your guild or in the area they've passed you by another 10 or so levels. I can't recall Rift's leveling but, I do think it was ok- at least I dont recall it being horrid or too quick.

For this reason I went with very slow. I personally feel leveling is a training time and something of a rights to passage. Seeing the telegraph system at low levels and the words the designers are using make me feel it'll be sort of like this. Especially with the size of the zones/quantity of zones and given the fact the max level (at least it sounds like it is) is level 50.

They were referring to content available. Like dungeons, questing, raiding, pvp, housing, etc. While this does include leveling its hard to say if itll take that long, or longer to hit level cap.
    Chuk, kiri and Gempulse like this.
  4. Gempulse

Gempulse Cupcake-About-Town

I am tired of developers underestimating how motivated some players can be with leveling. I know when a new MMO comes out, I like to spend as much free-time as possible playing and leveling (it is quite common for MMO players to do this). With newer games, like GW2, that have an unacceptably fast leveling speed, this means that I will hit cap within at least a week. Arenanet was stunned when the first player hit level 80 within 32 hours playtime. Why? Because developers (like Arenanet) seem to so easily underestimate the competence of their fans and player base, when it comes to finding quick ways to level.

Bioware was the same with SWTOR. They had ~150 hours leveling content that they believed players would "munch on" for MONTHS... Months? 150 hours? Am I the only one that laughed at that? They honestly thought it would take most players months to reach max level.

Carbine, do not make this mistake. You think you have enough leveling content (1-50) to last 400 hours? Add more or slow the pace down immensely. Players WILL find a way to turn those 400 hours that you think you have into a measly 75-100 hours; it happens with almost every MMO release.
    Chuk likes this.
  5. MMOPapa

MMOPapa Cupcake-About-Town

I think /played time for leveling should be a worthy amount of time for someone at level cap. For example; for someone that has leveled lately it's become a standard to make it to level cap in approximate seven-days of played time... that just seems silly to me. It takes a week to go from zero to hero?

I must be going to the wrong gym...
  6. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

yeah, but thats because people have seen and done every thing there is to see and do on WoW

they just blaze trough LFD's with herilooms and RAF.

can you blame them really? the game is 10years old, if leveling was still slow the game would be dead, especially since the game only *starts once you hit the current expansion content.

WSO is new, and be assured that some people will reach the cap on 7 days of no sleep.
    then whine t here is nothing to do cause no one else is there yet.
  7. MMOPapa

Those are the people I was talking about, not the World of Warcraft alts; they've become so common now... ._.
  8. BonusStage

BonusStage Well-Known Cupcake

yeah, but you should never balance leveling around those guys.

i dont want to take 6 months to hit cap cause of some lifeless dude that is the real life version of Cartman during the WoW episode.
    MMOPapa likes this.
  9. Coblago

Coblago New Cupcake

I'm a completion-ist type of gamer. I have to do all the quests, attempt all the achievements, try all the classes, races (and now paths! squeee!)

I don't mind being a little bit over the suggested level, but not so much that I feel like I need to dump out quests and miss content just to continue leveling.

Aion took way too much xp to level.
    WoW and TERA took way too little. I had to abandon quests to keep progressing.
    GW2 kinda hit the nail on the head with those of us still being able to get a challenge doing lvl 10 quests. =)

I think if 200 hours is the current estimate, I'm good with that.
  10. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

In below link at around time 14:51 he says that (not exact quote) "even if he probably do just the solo content it would be that much (200h)", and he adds to that - "but then we have trade skills content, dungeons content, raids content, etc..., no, there is more (more than 200h)".
    So it looks like pure leveling can take around 200h (assuming I suppose we do not power lvl).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VfnpbIhY2PU#t=891s
  11. 9bit

9bit Cupcake

All that means is that there is 200+ hours of content, not that it will take that many hours to level to max.

I cannot believe how many people in this thread are using that or a similar quote incorrectly. You might hit max level after doing 50% or 75% of the available solo content.
    BonusStage likes this.
  12. Skean

Skean Cupcake

Half way between hell and the state of confusion.
    Slowly as long as it doesn't get repetitive. The game needs to be challenging and have a lot of things to do. Don't force us into the typical grind. I do have faith that Carbine will break that mold though.
  13. MMOPapa

I'll have to watch this after work; but that sounds like a sort of Guild Wars 2 build for crafting if it benefits experience gain towards leveling... which, from my perspective, is a bad thing; for crafters.
  14. Gronky

Actually it can the same well mean that leveling takes 200h for him and you have to do all to progress or otherwise it will be quite tough. It was also very subjective so what is 200h for him does not mean it will be the same for all (it may be more for most). 200+h of content can mean everything.
  15. _decayed

_decayed New Cupcake

The statement made in the video is "There [is] over 200 hours of content currently in Wildstar." Jeremy says this is true, way over, just for solo content alone and that does not include trade skills, paths etc. The his response can be interpreted either way, but I think most likely he means he is talking about the maximum amount of hours you can get out of solo content currently in the game on a single character, sans side stuff. I don't think he means the leveling process will take over 200 hours.
  16. Gronky

I don't think he actually mentioned paths as an additional content. If he did it would mean for us that solo play takes 250h (path is 25% of solo leveling). Also when no power leveling, you do some of those other things at least a little, so for normal player 200h may actual be his/her leveling time.
  17. SniperCT

SniperCT Cupcake-About-Town

As long as there are no level ranges that feel like hell to go through, I'll be happy. Back in vanilla wow there were 3 or four points where I almost quit because I couldn't take the pace any more. Early 30s, early 40s, and late 40s.

It took me 36 days played over a 6 month period to hit cap. I didn't even start seriously alting until towards the end of TBC because I hated leveling so much. Now, getting an alt to 80 is pretty painless, it doesn't start getting annoying for me until 81ish.

I don't think I could do that kind of time again. (in fact, wow is the only MMO that I have characters at cap right now. I have a ton of time invested in Lotro, for example, but my highest character is about 10-15 levels below the current cap, and I've never hit the cap in that game before a new expansion came out).

I kind of want to get to this Elder Game Carbine keeps talking about at some point. >.>

I'm probably unusual.
  18. Gronky

They've said they won't make it like that. And their resting XP system will help a lot as well. I remember having same problems with leveling in vanilla WoW at levels 54-58 which was a grinding fiesta.
  19. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

I do hope that grinding isn't completely unviable though. Like somewhat equal. In WoW at least questing is so much faster. If I fancy grinding, I'd like the option as well. Although soldier path may come into that some what
  20. Sulli

Sulli New Cupcake

4-6 days gameplay I think is the fastest they should make it, any more and it feels to much, any less and its to fast.