1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Joukehainen

Joukehainen Well-Known Cupcake

Ok so this might not help against the PvP thing, but this just makes me think of the Shadows of Angmar raid expansion in Lotro (back in the day). You spent an evening just getting to the raid, bc the way there was full of elite master mobs that you needed to fight your way past. It was fitting for the lore of the game (we were deep in Angmar, after all) and it made the raid feel all the more engaging and rewarding. As you quested in Angmar, you saw these EM mobs and thought, wow... it was scary and enticing, and then after some weeks you finally got to face off against them with your guild, fighting your way to the entrance. There was a summoning horn nearby the raid entrance, NPCs for quests and bartering rewards, and a campfire. Hunters were the only class that could set their campfire locale, and this was the class that helped port raids and group (like Warlocks/Mages in WoW).

Now, if you were farming the raid, that's what the campfire was for. Hunter would port to his/her campfire, summon another raid member, then you'd use the summoning horn to get the rest of the raid up there. It was the exact same for dungeon entrances (just minus the EM mobs ;) ).

My point is, that's much more of an experience than just hit LFG, run dungeon as fast as possible, leave dungeon, hit LFG, rinse-repeat. As we've talked about at great length in previous threads, I don't want the LFG tools in MMOs to reduce them to lobby games, bc in that case, the developer in question should just make a lobby game and not one with all this work put into an open world that just ends up being ignored.

Anyway, so far there will be no LFR for WS (yay!), only an LFG, but I hope they will at least force us to discover the physical entrance to the dungeon the first time around if the LFG has a porting function.

We've been discussing these issues a lot on these forums: the journey there vs the endgoal, the world of an mmo, emergent gameplay.. here's a linkdump shamelessly swiped from Yakzan's signature:

-
    Vembumees and Ego13 like this.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

The group by server filter box will allow this to occur for people who actually care.
    Lyas Tyrell likes this.
  3. Malorak

Malorak Cupcake-About-Town

Which I really approve of.

Like I said: Atleast make them explore it ONCE. Then they know where it is. Thanks.
    Lyas Tyrell likes this.
  4. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

I like the idea where you have to discover the entrance first before you're eligible to run that dungeon. I remember back in Wrath when the last three dungeons that came out if your group wiped, you always had to try to explain how to get to the entrance. If the entrance is out of the way and hidden it's a bit of a problem to walk people through it successfully.
    Joukehainen and Malorak like this.
  5. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

Been over it before, but here is the highlight.

1. Warp to instance/portal outside instance if you have been there before. Walk if you have not bothered checking out the portal outside/zone in to instance before. Summoning is almost ok, if not for the problem of always the same people waiting for a summon.

2. Unique loot in instances removes the whole ninjalooter issue. If they can't do it, noone gets upset over it - except for themselves, and who really gives a *smurf* about what hurt feelings ninjalooters have.

3. Improvement of automatic travel features over time with use - maybe optional, so those who really do want to have time to switch the laundry, start dinner and take a *smurf* does have the option to extend their travel time, maybe with some rest bonus earning for it.

4. I can not see how to fix this issue from the devs side, since it is a player attitude issue. There is no reason to kick people from the group. unless they are behaving like over the top major jerks and toxicate the group with their verbal attitude from the getgo. If they repeatedly ninja pull, sure. If they afk and dc most of the dungeon, that is reasonable at some point - but just because they are not awesome, well geared, min/maxed and super optimized or lack common knowledge and familiarity with the dungeon? No, not really.

Community sense is also about accepting that not everyone is equally good or knowledgable and work with what we get, as long as a group is progressing through a dungeon. Wasting other players time being picky in a random group, as long as it is getting through the dungeon, it is not cool community spirit.

If someone can not handle the challenge of staying in a group with not so excellent players, then they should consider handpicking a group instead. Just like with guild raids, those managing it can be just as picky as they want to. Make a circle for the elitist speed runners and invite only the acceptable crops or those sponsored by them
    Kicking someone from a group you made yourself is ok - you may even earn a reputation that ensures you only get the creme of the crop with the same attitude to dungeons.
    Acidblood likes this.
  6. John

John "That" Cupcake

Reserving the warp for x-realm only will further reduce the number of players who will check the 'home server only' box.

I'm afraid already that too few will be checking that box, something like this could be the knockout punch that makes it an irrelevant feature.
    wormed likes this.
  7. wormed

wormed Cupcake

I am shocked that people are actually against walking to the instance zone in. How lazy have people become? Really... you cannot be bothered to get your character to the instance in a game that you apparently enjoy playing? PvP players should be revolted by the idea that this LFG tool will teleport you to the instance.

PvE server can have it if they want.
    PvP server should NEVER have anything that removes a player from interacting in the world on a regular daily basis. If you don't like this, play on a PvE server. I really don't see why people are so offended by that.
    John and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  8. Acidblood

Acidblood Cupcake-About-Town

Ah good times. Also, FYI, a lot of horde 60s were there because you could solo SM at 60 and the BoE loot sold well on the AH, so it was a great place to farm... wiping lower level alliance groups was just a bonus :)

Back on topic though, the main reason I suggest being able to summon others is that when a group is formed there are usually some players closer to the entrance than others... and while I'm generally one of the ones that does run there (I brought a shiny mount, I'm going to use it), sometimes you are just on the wrong side of the world.

I suppose another solution would be have the summon points at major outposts instead... so you can summon others to the outpost, but then all have to run (probably together) to the dungeon entrance... this would also have the advantage of teaching people where the entrances are and giving a bit of context to the instance (i.e. making them feel connected to the world and not just some nebulousness bubble you magicly pop in and out of).
  9. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

The option for instant teleportation to an instance shouldn't be based on a players selection of queue type. This would only come off as a punitive measure for wanting one type or another.

As for how to get to an instance, I do like the idea of it being the player's responsibility to get there. With mounts and travel points, it shouldn't be some massive undertaking. The benefit is it makes people be in the world, in some aspect, plus gives a time to communicate and interact with your group members before the instance starts.
  10. SiegaPlays

No need to be rude.

Not all people have 10 minutes extra for every dungeon just getting from point a to b. Some would just rather run 3 dungeons rather than walk a lot and do 2 dungeons.

Nothing to do with laziness, everything to do with real life, trying to get something out of the time one have to play, and not least, avoid issues with one random player after the other not remembering how to get there.

After doing the same dungeon 50 times for some gear drops, the scenic route is really not that amazing for most of us, since it feels forced. If there was something else going on at the same time, that gives a good reason to go there, fine, but not just for the same dungeon run.

If there is something else, I'd likely be there already doing it, while waiting for the queue to pop.
  11. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Warping should not be such a light matter in any game, otherwise why not warp all your forces into opposing faction main base and win planet? The overuse of warping in recent games is really world/immersion breaking. Seriously if you can warp all over the planet, why not use this warping for other uses (which would pretty much ruin any game)?

If you play a game for gear and lvling, I'm sure you'd like it though.

If someone else can enter, it should give you an invite - but warping the entire group via some portal is as stated above.
  12. SiegaPlays

Is it Rift that has that? One person enter the instance and the rest of the group automatically follows in. For handpicked groups, not random lfd though, those are porting in
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Not sure about Rift, but that is how the Secret World works. It is convenient, but some of the instances I had no clue as to where they were as I never had to travel to them. It's that aspect I feel kind of detracts from giving the game a sense of form and being a massive world. Just seems like a lobby game.
  14. SiegaPlays

It is the easiest issue to fix though. Requirements of having found the dungeon entrance in the open world.

Most people have issues about other people n0t knowing how to get there. What prevents you from going there to find the entrances for your own purposes before dungeoning?

That is what I do. Then again, I am an explorer, it does fit my playstyle more to find new entrances.
  15. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

<Mod Monocle> Do not openly discuss moderation. If you have an issue with moderation contact us via PM. </Mod Monocle>

Anyway I'm curious, from a PvP player why you NEED encouragement to go into the world?

I'm going to be out there seeking fights already, but if someone just wants to do a dungeon why make them possibly not accomplish that because I'm out there ganking them?

Please don't preach the 'that's the decision you make' as I ONLY play PvP/pk and I can be forgiving on this.
    Ianpact likes this.
  16. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Reason why not? Purpose. If players don't have a reason to go to a location, often times that location in a game will be a deserted wasteland.

Given how instanced dungeons are actually high traffic areas, I would prefer the external side of it represent such. For those not familiar or just wandering around doing normal game play, it then becomes a point of interest. They go over to find out where everyone is going or hanging out. This type of play, for me, seems like it adds to the game world, connection and feeling a part of something living.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Nah, I'm going to walk to the dungeon thank you.
    Joukehainen and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  18. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

I would be happy with just a 'port to nearest town'.
    Joukehainen and Lyas Tyrell like this.
  19. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

The more I read the more I like the idea of being able to teleport to the dungeon via LFG tool, ONLY IF you have discovered the dungeon on your map already.

That seems like a simple fix that would really make things community based, and fun.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  20. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Also, if a person can't spare just a few minutes to travel a location because it would be considered too much of an effort, it concerns me how they will bleed over into actual playing in the instance.

I mean if it is a time constraint, then will we have to rush or will they bail early. Then if it is just because they are lazy, perhaps it means they will need to be carried through and are just here because it only took one click to get here and get a reward.