1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

In reality, that is not so much about instances and wether or not to port to them.

It is more about how open world content is applied to the setting of the storyline. Something like surroundings of the entrance of an instance should carry a lot of significant story and lore research, should have some community magnificato that settlers can raise, should have some bonus mobster spawn points for killers.

Not because the instance is there, but because of the background of why the instance is there.

The instance entrance should just be the perk of the main reason for being there, which is the open world content. It should not be the reason itself, and hence not be a reason to force everyone to walk there everytime they do the instance, since they can find other interesting reasons to go if they so choose.
    Soylentgreen likes this.
  2. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

You actually bring up another thing which teleporting would take away from; a settler's ability to influence those going on. Their job is to pick the best places to provide support through their buffs. If everyone is just porting in, it diminishes their selection of paths and locations to offer benefits.
  3. SiegaPlays

Or maybe people want the port so they do not have to rush the actual instance. Maybe the 10 minutes twiddling their thumbs while getting there is the reason why they have to hurry through the dungeon. 10 minutes is well past first boss in some MMOs. Maybe they do not want to waste 10 minutes travelling to the instance for the 100th time, because they want to take better time to do the dungeon.

Doing the instance content gives the drops, do you really think someone walking to the instance deserve more reward in the instance, based solely on the fact that they walked there? Exploring the world give achievements for finding places. Two seperate reward systems, so not really related to this discussion, but you brought it up.

to me it comes down to 2 situations:

1. No port, everyone is forced to walk there everytime wether they happy about it or not, some will choose to simply not group dungeons, because they have more fun spending the time elsewhere, like in a battleground that may even take less time to queue up to for some fun gametime.

2. Port, anyone who wants to wait outside the dungeon can choose to do so, anyone who does not want to can choose to do so, everyone can play how they like to play without forcing others to play, how they like to play.

since I am pro options that makes people able to play how they prefer, I'll go with item 2

since I do think people should know the world they are in, I would like the tiny requirement of having found the entrance and nearest gy once before being able to port there or even queue up for it

and naturally instance rewards should be by what one does in the dungeon, not for what is done outside
  4. SiegaPlays

I am actually explaining the reason why those things should be there, wether or not the instance is.

Instances does not take those things away, neither does porting to them.

Those things are open world content, so a not so well thought out open world content would be the reason. In fact the two are totally unrelated, with the exception of both being based on the same background for being there. Path stuff should be there because it is a hotspot in the open world. Not because there is a presence of a instance entrance but due to the reason why there also is an instance.

Wether the instance is there or not, the path content should still be there if it is a open world spot of significance - and why place a entrance to in instance in a less interesting place?
  5. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Because I really don't think you understand general human psyche. This isn't because I'm knowledgeable in psychology or pretend I know anything about it, but let's be honest... humans will, and always will, take the path of least resistance. Why venture out into the world, possibly to be killed, when you don't have to? We've seen it countless times in other MMORPG's that are 'PvP-server' based.

Not to mention, the elder game in Wildstar is raid/instance running and BGs/Arenas/Warplots. You honestly, truly, think that people will just venture out into the open world when they can get access to EVERY SINGLE piece of Wildstar's elder game from the safety of a city? Come on. Sure, some will be out there doing their dailies, or gathering, but the majority won't be. Depending on how their daily quests are structured, it'll be the same ol "get in, get out" sort of deal. I thank you for liking my PvP quest idea and I really hope something like that will exist. Unfortunately, PvP servers aren't how they should be. People join them not understanding that PvP can be ANYTHING. Gank whiners, low level criers, and a plethora of other annoying players, pretty much ruin PvP servers.

I won't preach anything but I definitely think if you're joining a PvP server, you should have every intention of being forced to potentially engage in it. Why BE on a PvP server then? Hell, the sad thing is, even World of Warcraft vanilla made people have to run to instances. It was a success. Why does Wildstar need to take the 'lobby game' route?
    Joukehainen likes this.
  6. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

When LFD first came out in WoW, you had to discover the dungeon entrance to be able to queue for it. Players quickly used this as an exploit: they simply avoided discovering longer/more difficult dungeon entrances so the random LFD wouldn't drop them in.

The problem wasn't with discovering the dungeons; it's with the idea of a random daily dungeon. The rewards for doing a random dungeon were so ludicrously good that you would be a fool not to do it. People who hated dungeons would queue up for a daily, strictly for the rewards.

So Carbine, don't put in dailies, and don't give outsize rewards. Heck, leave out the "random" option altogether. I'd rather just queue up for multiple dungeons if I don't have a specific one I want to get done.
    SiegaPlays likes this.
  7. wormed

wormed Cupcake

It's great to see the poll being relatively even. I think it should specify PvP server players, and not everyone. I can see PvE players really hating the idea because it doesn't make sense to their ruleset.
  8. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

I feel like (and this is just conjecture) Carbine is moving away from Dailies and things like that. Daily's and Weekly's are just "Filler" content. Making it appear as if you have stuff to do, when it's just rewarding you for bashing your head once more against a brick wall you've already done.

Not that it's impossible for them to do Daily's/Weekly's but I'm saying the nature of it would be very different. With how they've described dynamic dungeons/raids/etc I feel like Carbine is focusing more on giving us stuff to do, rather than giving us a reward for rehashing content we've been through.
  9. Bellaby

Bellaby Well-Known Cupcake

Big issue with warping to instances is when you have to run back to the instance after a wipe, and not knowing how to get there...

Though wipes respawning at the Instance entrance would work
  10. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Isn't it fair for people to have to visit the actual instance they're participating in? This brings in the whole point of eliminating teleporting to instance. Players should be exploring the world. I loved Everquest for this. Hell, even WoW vanilla did it.

But then again, wipes at entrance isn't a big deal either. But I guess that has to do with how their death/bind system works.
  11. Crimzen

Crimzen Cupcake

I would prefer walking, or some type of teleportation system that 2 or more players have to activate outside of the dungeon.

I'm afraid that if you just instantly place players inside of the instance, then you'll start to see what happens in games like WoW, with players just standing in a major city queuing up for things all day, instead of out in the open world.
  12. Draegan

Draegan Cupcake

This argument gets replayed for every game in every forum during the period before the game launches. There are two sides: 1) The people who like convienance and 2) The people who like slower leveling, more traveling, greater timesinks etc. etc.

Essentially the result of these threads is that some people get offended and others are flabergasted at the whole thing. The most often rebuttal is "you can walk to the dungeon if you want, no one is forcing you to".

Side #2 is usually the loudest of the two groups. For some reason, the people in group #2 are usually the larger population on forums, though a minority in a game.

You can transplant both groups #1 and #2 for the following arguments:
    1) LFD tool or no LFD tool
    2) Flying mounts or no flying mounts
    3) Fast travel or no fast travel
    4) Low death penalties vs. harsh death penalty (corpse recovery, xp loss etc)
    5) Fast leveling or slow leveling
    6) Free/Cheap respecs or no respecs

Seriously, you can really just fill in the blanks and you'll find this conversation in any form on the GW2 beta forums, Rift's beta/alpha forums, or any other MMORPG that has come out after WOW.

I find it amusing that it always happens, and I recognize some of the same people having the same argument in the Rift forums 2-3 years ago.

Edit:
    BTW, I vote for instant teleport. Spending 10-15 minutes walking on a PVE server then waiting for other people to do the same, just to do a regular leveling dungeon is not my idea of time well spent. During the waiting process, there are just too many chances for someone to say, nevermind I don't feel like waiting anymore and leaves forcing you to form groups all over again. Pass. Give me instant action please.
  13. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

Personally I am not a fan of cross-realm grouping, and I hate the new standard of being instantly teleported to a dungeon. It really destroys the sense of a vast, open world (which is such an important element to an mmo, at least to me).

So in theory I'd prefer to walk, but I think in reality if walking was required when choosing in-realm groups, it would just mean that even less people would use the checkbox. When everyone on your server is porting around and grouping off-realm, checking that box feels less like immersion and more like purposefully handicapping yourself.

My impression is that most people who dislike cross-realm grouping and insta-porting are concerned with server community and immersion. I feel like a more elegant solution than the checkbox would simply be to give both groups their own community. Have a separate, No-LFG server for those who don't like the dungeon finder/teleporting. The rest of the servers can be "traditional" servers which are linked via LFG. Assuming the population is there to support it (and seeing what a hot topic this has been, I think there are likely enough people to support a single alternative server) everyone gets what they want. I'd love to be surrounded by a server of people who care about community and immersion as much as I do, rather than trying to pretend with a checkbox.
  14. Dpz

Dpz Cupcake

I'm all for the oldschool walk to the location to do what you need to do, it's become to easy and comfortable to join into 20min action scenarios like a CS public game in MMO's, i believe MMO's should and do take time and so i would not play an MMO if i did not have the time to put into the game.

Allso most important the community becomes stronger with a close knit server.

Read the latest news, I'm happy that they care about those who don't like x-server LFG but i'm not sure it will help the cause. But my doubts of playing the game got boosted alot just because they show they care about their fans. :inlove:
  15. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

For services of convenience, I really think it should be earned through in game play. Lets have an example. You want to do a dungeon, but the one you are queued for is several zones away. NO PROBLEM, you have a transport pass for doing that daily quest/trading on the auction house/crafting one. No transport pass? Better start walking. With this system, you are given a choice about which things in the world you want to toil on, and which things you can get help with.
  16. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

Gotta say, I'm pretty surprised to see that the community is so torn on this subject. :eek:

I personally don't have any super strong opinions on this... I don't have a problem at all with being teleported straight to the instance, but if I must walk, then so be it. If I had to walk each and every time I wanted to do a dungeon though, I'd be much less likely to do dungeons as much as I did in WoW. Yet there could be a happy medium between the two extremes in the form of summoning, like many people have mentioned. However, that can cause complications too. If one person can summon the rest of the group, then it doesn't seem fair that the others can just sit around and chill while one person is doing all the foot work, like Kataryna is familiar with. Like Dragnog said, lore-wise, porting fits the world, since we know you can already teleport to your house.

/end reiterating points
  17. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Ok, so we want a strong community, right? So why allow instant warp to the instance? It just makes the world smaller. If we can instantly warp to any dungeon (and house) what's the point of venturing out in the open world, when we can just click a button and poof we are there? Doesn't this end up like being WOW where everyone one is in the major cities just waiting around for a instance and no one actually getting out there and exploring and creating any sort of friendships?

I could be way off, but.
  18. Goodwin

Goodwin New Cupcake

I agree with you.

World PvP is important to a lot of players (especially on a PvP server), including me. I have absolutely no problem with a group finder, it makes things a lot easier and faster, definitely -- but I still think we shouldn't be able to simply teleport to the dungeon... please, for the sake of keeping World PvP alive, don't add it.
  19. Lyas Tyrell

Lyas Tyrell Cupcake-About-Town

After 4 Pages and several days. The Warp TO dungeon crowd has a small lead over the Make Me Walk crowd.

Be interesting to see where this ends out. A very divided notion.
  20. Veckna

Veckna Well-Known Cupcake

I used to 'educate' the lazy by simply grouping with a couple of friends and if people weren't moving from Orgrimmar or wherever we'd run outside, down the the ocean and all buff up with waterbreathing then summon them at the bottom of the ocean shelf just off the coast - they'd be drowning by the time they loaded in and unable to reach the surface.
    Either that or a convenient cliff you could 'drop' people off (until they fixed on the ledge summons so it wouldn't drop players anymore).

Also good for the random 'summon me' requests where people ignored basic manners.

Wasn't really constructive to getting the run going but then I'm the sort who believes in tough lessons. As a tank if you leroy in as a dps I'll let you tank and die, if you leroy in when I'm a healer you aren't getting healed (as I'll get agro :p). Normally clears out the morons early in the run (or they learn they need to play as part of the team).

Off topic but Kat's post kindled some fond memories.