1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

LFG Tool, a Poll

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Lyas Tyrell, Apr 5, 2013.

?

If you are trying to group with just your server, should it warp you to instance?

1. Yeah, why not

107 vote(s)
    46.3%
  2. No, it's my server I'll walk

124 vote(s)
    53.7%
  1. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I suspect once beta starts and publicity ramps up we'll see more of the "casual" players and this will swing wildly towards warp to, obviously the forum culture is going to change closer to launch. Also forum polls are iffy at best.
  2. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

I remember one Underbog run where a hunter pulled the first pack while the group was still sorting itself out and getting food/elixir buffs up. I pulled everything off him, then tanked it while the group smashed the pack. I then looked at the hunter and said "you only get one of those. From this point on, if anyone pulls but me, I will assume you wish to try your hand at tanking. And I will let you." That was one of my smoother PuG runs ever. :p

Of course, there was another run in Underbog with another hunter later on. I pulled the first group of giants and watched them closing when the hunter fired a shot at one of the trailers. I was all set to chew him out... until the giant hit his Freezing Trap. He kept that same giant chain-trapped for the entire fight. One of the best hunters I've ever seen.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

I would prefer in all cases if there was no porting to the instance at any time. Summoning Stones are ok I guess.

I understand a lot of people feel they have a short amount of time to play, etc .. and I respect that, but I think there should be some other option for them. Something more like in town arenas that can be run a couple of times a day that pit them against bosses for loot.

Sadly this is obviously not going to even come close to happening what with raid portals right outside of your house ..
  4. wormed

wormed Cupcake

I disagree. I think people who are PvP minded, regardless of 'casual' or not, would like their world to actually be active, rather than degrading to a 'stand in city and queue all day' mentality.
  5. Soylentgreen

Fair enough maybe that's true but then why don't I hear the cry for PvP queues not to dump you directly into battlegrounds or arenas (stuff which is PvP content) and instead hear all these posts complaining about being teleported into PvE content? If you are PvP minded and want to go out in the world there are any number of ways to get people out into the world it's not like you hit elder game and all there is to do is dungeons and because the LFG tool might port you there it means that everyone is in town waiting for dungeon queues.
    Kataryna likes this.
  6. wormed

wormed Cupcake

...because generally arenas and battlegrounds never have 'zone in' portals? If they DID, sure, I'm sure people would say the same thing.
  7. Soylentgreen

WoW had zone in portals for battlegrounds I still don't see that argument, and it's not like it's hard to add a portal if you really believed this was a problem, seems people like to blame the LFG tool when in reality it's a small part of the larger game.
    Kataryna likes this.
  8. wormed

wormed Cupcake

Except it really isn't. It is a huge problem. Give me an example of an MMORPG that has a dungeon finder and an active world. There are none. People love to claim that instance running isn't the 'only' thing to do at end game and that's partially true. However, the MAJORITY of players will be simply doing instances, whether this be pve content or pvp content.

Daily quests do not keep their world active, nor are small things like gathering. These do not create a world of activity. They create small pockets of traffic, rather than force people to be in different parts of the world constantly. What other MMORPG had portals for BGs/Arenas? None. If it was common, then yes, I agree that NOTHING should teleport people directly. People SHOULD be out in the world having to do ANY content.

Again, I speak very strictly from a PvP server mentality. A PvE server I can more than see running to areas as a redundancy and it not making sense.
  9. Xandita

Xandita Cupcake

Well, the battleground portals in WoW were pretty cool. I queued from them in the past. I wish they had one for the later battlegrounds though. I was curious where Eye of the Storm actually took place.
  10. jonbones

jonbones Cupcake

I'm with people in that X-Server (which I won't be using) can auto-teleport you to the instance but on Same-Server you should have to walk there (or as others have said, 1-2 people get there and can summon the rest of the team.)

Then I think the entrances to these Elder game dungeons/raids/etc should be all over the world (including tucked away in low-level zones) so the world is constantly populated with people.
    Forge Darksteel likes this.
  11. wormed

wormed Cupcake

I can guarantee you x-server won't be used if that's the case. It has to be both or it won't work. People will NOT risk dying on a PvP server if they don't have to.
  12. Soylentgreen

I don't see how gathering creates pockets, it creates people going all over the zone to get these gatherable as they are strewn across all zones everywhere. Collections have 100+ spawn points per zone they've said people will be chasing these down. People will still be questing, leveling and doing path content across zones. Farming mobs out in the world. All these are things we can do out there.

I think to be fair if you see a lot of people just sitting in PvP servers queuing instead of out in the world because they want to avoid death then these are people who shouldn't be on a PvP server anyway, that's not really Carbines fault, that's some players being on a PvP server and being afraid of penalty-less PvP (seriously no durability damage usually from dying to players and they'd rez at a graveyard free of charge.
  13. wormed

wormed Cupcake

And how many people 'gather' in the first place? Most gathering is relegated to buying on auction houses, or bots running around doing it for people. Let's be honest... there will be bots and they will be farming materials. People won't be questing at end game. Why would they be? I'm talking about end game here. Leveling means nothing to me. Destroying players who are leveling up is fun, sure, but the end game should be max level vs max level. Are you playing any MMORPG? I find it shocking that people actually think Wildstar will be different. If it has the same setup as WoW, or TERA, or other MMORPGs who have PvP denoted servers, people WILL do the easiest path and that's queuing, avoiding death.

I agree with your statement. There are MANY people on PvP servers who should NEVER roll on a PvP server. They're players who whine about being ganked, whine about uneven fights, whine about almost anything that occurs in open world. If people wanted to run BGs/Arenas, roll a PvE server. They HAVE those.

But people who roll on a PvP server because they WANT a thriving PvP world, shouldn't be punished for convenience purposes.
  14. Soylentgreen

It's really not all bots, I financed my way through three WoW expansions just going out and gathering and selling it to people who would buy my stuff in bulk, it makes tons of money if you have the time for it and I know plenty of people do this in any game. There are always going to be people in town doing stuff sure a lot of players like playing the AH, or what not and I don't think Wildstar will be different.

I do think other games have a active world but I don't think anything I say or any game I bring up will convince you of that. I'm just trying to point out that despite the focus that has been put on LFG tool teleportation, there are plenty of other teleportations that people don't seem to mind and many other factors at play here.
  15. Glacius

Glacius Cupcake-About-Town

I don't really think that the auto port is really that much of an issue especially with server groups. What is more important is that dungeons at least offer a degree of challenge rather than just a face roll; I think it's more important that the dungeon itself is enjoyable.

The only time I see it being an issue would be ninjas/douchebags which a proper server community would alleviate.
  16. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

Sorry for butting in here, but for those of you who want to build the culture of walking to dungeons and going with "old school" LFG please check this out. I believe this will strengthen the overall community on servers. If you voted "no" on the poll I'd recommend checking it out as well.

Thank you and carry on,
    -Blindsear
  17. FullMetalPizza

FullMetalPizza New Cupcake

I hate LFG tool, I seriously hate it, this is the most disappointing thing I saw in Wildstar actually, if I can, I will find people without the LFG tool and walk in the instance like this tool doesn't even exist.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  18. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

Totally agree with this. How many battles did I have in blackrock mountain from people trying to get to raids/dungeons? It was great having lots of dungeon/raid entrances so close to each other :)

I vote for no port personally.
    Joukehainen likes this.
  19. Macheya

Macheya New Cupcake

I'd just like to share a little anecdote from my time in early BC. A friend was going to run my Shaman and a guildmate of mine through Razorfen Downs (me for the Corpsemaker, him for gear). I was an Orc Shaman, guildmate was a Blood Elf Hunter.

Some Alliance made a group and ran to the instance, two of them (I think a Warrior and a Priest or something). They saw us, stopped, summoned their party members and attacked. We let them, figuring 'if we go down, we go down fighting'. This was a PvP server (Detheroc I believe).

We wiped the floor with all five members. We were all around the same level, and by the end of it me and the Hunter were at about one-third or so health and cooldowns popped, but we absolutely wrecked the Alliance group. I told you that to tell you this: going in pairs is a decent solution if the dungeon entrance ends up being a PvP hotspot. It won't save you from anything five or more levels higher than you (I'm not sure what the difference in levels will be with a level cap of twenty-two as opposed to sixty), but if you're decent at your class two-on-one shouldn't be an automatic loss.
  20. SituationSoap

SituationSoap Cupcake-About-Town

Just as a general shout out to the "I want to walk for the PVP players"; As someone who thinks world PVP is a waste of time and plays on PVE servers, I have two questions. One: What you're arguing for sounds in my ears like you're saying "I want people to have to walk so that I can troll them and try to ruin their instance run along the way". Am I wrong that the logic you're using basically boils down to that? -- Edit: I want to make really clear that I'm not trying to bait someone here into a flame war. That's seriously how that argument sounds to me, and I'm trying to get what I assume must be a different perspective on it.

Secondly: I can understand that your preference is for non-teleportation for world PVP purposes, but why should your desires outweigh the ~half of the player base that's going to play on PVE servers and for whom the travel to a dungeon is nothing more than a tedious grind with no challenge or reward?