1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Lives Well Wasted.

Discussion in 'Gaming Arena' started by Optimisticnerd, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Optimisticnerd

Optimisticnerd Cupcake-About-Town

I would like to pose a question to everybody: How much of your life (in days) do you think you have wasted on MMO's? I happen to know that a great amount of people here have been playing MMOs since WoW vanilla, if not earlier. This is adds up to some serious time wastage.

Clarification: I mean time actually played. If you for example played WoW for a year, but only played for 500 hours in that one year, that means you played about 21 days in total for that entire year.

Personally, if I needed to add up all my WoW characters... I know that I have about 195 days played on my hunter alone, about 20 days played on my monk, 40 days played on my rogue, another 40 days played on my druid, and 30 days played on my paladin.

The playtime for my hunter is precise as I checked it when MoP came out and it was 187 days played, and I played it no-life style for 2 weeks after MoP came out. The rest of my toons I am guessing with, but I assure you that those are realistic numbers. I would go online to WoW and get precise numbers, but I'm unsubscribed.

In total, according to my estimates, I have wasted about 325 days of nothing but pure game time in WoW alone over the course of 7 and a half years. That's almost a year of time played... Time well wasted if you ask me.

What about everyone else? Estimates are okay, as long as they are realistic.

Edit: I did math, over the course of 7 1/2 years I would have had to played 2.8 hours a day in order to waste 325 days on it. It was more like 8 hours a day when I was actually playing. I would quit the game, come back for three months, then quit the game again in that cycle until about september 2011, then I played for a year and 1/2 straight.
  2. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Well spent in my opinion

as for a number I have probably spent a couple years of game time in MMOs over the years.
  3. imrevned

imrevned Cupcake

Yeah, I wouldn't say "wasted" if you enjoyed it ^^
    Rai likes this.
  4. Honoracy

Honoracy Cupcake-About-Town

Not 1 second was wasted, but enjoyed.
  5. Ego13

Ego13 Cupcake-About-Town

None..
    If you feel you've wasted a single day I would re-evaluate your life and hobbies.
  6. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Wasted ?! The only wasted time is the one doing an activity you don't enjoy. You can say your job is more of a wasted time than a video game.
  7. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

Part of life is living it. Regardless of what some may consider the activity, productive or not, if it is an experience you enjoyed, it was worth it.

Wait until your old, then you can holo-forum chat about how many hours you wasted sitting on the front porch watching the artificial grass regenerate.
  8. Rumze

Rumze "That" Cupcake

I wouldn't play if I didn't enjoy it :p
    But to get into the spirit of your question, I've spent a fair amount of time playing, and it was incredibly cost efficient than going out drinking on the weekend like some of my friends do. If I enjoyed hockey more, I'd have spent a ton more going to the games, and spent about the same amount of time watching it on tv etc etc
    But all in all, I enjoy my play time! I think most gamers do and that's why as fans they tend to be passionate.
  9. Rai

Rai Cupcake-About-Town

I've been playing (real) MMO's since FFXI. To this date, it's also the one with the most feeling of ingame value (if you know what I mean). I've played at least 240 days (gametime) on this one :oops:

So, how much time did I waste playing MMO's? Counting the others (L2, WoW, TOR etc) itsss.. err 64,2.. hmm, plus 32 .. minus 1,5 = ZERO :)

I LOVE IT! :inlove: