1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Macros and/or Ques

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arz, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arz

Arz New Cupcake

Id like to ask if there will be macros for the game. As a raider in many games I found that having macros helps a lot with situational awareness. I watched most of the videos involving combat to see that a lot of the players have their abilities on their bars.

Does anyone know if macros will be a feature in Wildstar. It doesn't not really make much of a difference to me since I have no problems pressing buttons, but since Wildstar seems like a situational awareness and movement game I was wondering if they will implement that feature.
  2. Kleev

Kleev Cupcake-About-Town

They have confirmed that there will be macros, we just don't know the limitations of them yet.
  3. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

So basically you want programs to play the game for you :ninja:
    Saybel and Chooby like this.
  4. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

So basically, you want to hit keys in a precise rotation, instead of watching the boss and telegraphs? Fun is usually represented as 1,1,2,4,1,1,2,3,1,1,4,3,2,1,1,1,zzzzzzzzzzz

Macro's, if tempered properly, are a nice addition to the game. Limit the amount of abilities you can place in a macro; or make it so optimal DPS rotations have multiple abilities without cooldown (so they can't be macroed); there are ways around making a game dependent on macros. That being said, they allow you to actually pay attention to the nuances of the fights, instead of watching your bars to make sure you don't clip that ability short, or miss that important #5 button stroke instead of hitting #6.

**While I like macros, I've played games with and without them; everything from EQ to Rift, D3 and TL2. Won't matter a pig's ear to me; I'm going to get mine regardless of which way it's implemented.
  5. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

'If/then' macros are very bad for the game and reduce everything to pressing one button. Utility macros (like a summon+sac pet) macros are fine IMO.
    Teehk likes this.
  6. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

Macros are used by players who need help, they do not have the ability to think fast enough, so need maros to do it for them.
  7. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

I'm glad you gave such a well thought out reply to the topic Nemeses. Thanks!
  8. Red_Death01

Red_Death01 Cupcake-About-Town

Or- to save room and/or time since some macros can cast instant stacking of abilities off the GCD.

Macros won't allow you to break the game like giving you access to every skill in the game...
  9. Arz

Arz New Cupcake

Like i said i have no issues in pressing buttons. But you realized that this game has more situational awareness then you average game. So by having macros its lets you move out of bad. Macros aren't programs at least in the sense of using abilities inside the game--not by using them to play the game for someone that is a bot (that would be called a script im sure you know the difference).

Also by seen your signature i see PVP. I don't know if you are familiar with raiding but when it comes to move out of bad and keeping your healing and dps up is a must--and by using macros you can do that while moving. i don't know about you but i don't have 20 extra fingers to press all the things.

Plus you dont ahve to write down you whole rotation on your macro thats bad. Keep it reasonable.

Also PVP is not as consistence as raiding. While in PVP you only need burst of dps and healing. While in Raids you need to maintain a certain amount of dps and healing to do your job--hence you "might" need macros to keep your debuffs/dots what ever you need to keep your people alive and dps constant.

Again im not saying that you have to play the game. Frees up slots you dont have 5 full bars of things and play Mozart on your Keyboard. Doesnt matter how badass yours dps is you cant dps Dead.
  10. Luciamund

Luciamund Cupcake

well first off i guess is this game has a LAS so if you are gonna have 5 bars they are gonna have 2 buttons each...

second and more relevent is even if they don't launch with macro support they are launching with a make your own mods kit. JG put is as "anything we can do with the UI the community can probably do better"

so if you want macros great, if you want your ten buttons arranged in a circle around your character great, if you want an elk that shoots rainbows out its butt... play an esper... srsly...
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. Jarys

Jarys New Cupcake

As long as they aren't implemented like rift did... I remember back when I played, optimal dps was 3 macros: spammable builder, reactionary proc, and finisher. Since you could just put as many abilities as you wanted in the same macro and spam the button, it used whatever was not on cooldown first. I HATE that kind of macro, because (especially when you have over a dozen abilities) they become almost necessary. Not sure how it will work in a game like wildstar that intentionally limits your abilities. If you only have 8 abilities on your bar, do you really need a macro that uses 1/2/3 for you?
  12. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

Rather not have them.

Pressing buttons and watching a screen at the same time is not hard whatsoever... and they have openly come out and spoke against exact guides for anything and have stated that they are trying to make spells good for certain situations so you avoid using set rotations.

One great feature is the feature they implemented when a player stuns a creature they take increased damage, to optimize dps one wouldn't rely on a rotation, one would pick the hardest hitting abilities which is completely dependent on the situation.

I foresee further features being added to discourage macros - or rather- use of specific rotations.

No one should be able to get away with what Hunters did in WoW for practically the entire Burning Crusade based on a stupid macro.

That is not skill.

If they are in: They better be limited- I am okay with an OH SHIZZ button, but other than that. Don't want em.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. Inv1cted

Inv1cted Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think anyone has a problem with this limitation on macros (essentially what WoW has now).

'If/then' is disabled so you can't have one button rotations but you can still have utility ones (which just essentially binds two abilities into one key) like lock/dk's summon/sac macros which essentially just function as a defensive cool downs.
  14. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

Oh yeah, I know they fixed the issue, but a new MMO might make that error with making something overly easy to macro.

With such a limited bar, does this become even necessary though?
  15. Zakis

Zakis New Cupcake

I am not sure its really necessary with the limiting of the skills, which isn't a bad things. There can be a nice balance struck between having too many skills and too few. So far it is looking good. Same thing goes for macros, if properly implemented they could be helpful for raiding/healing purposes, etc.
  16. MassFragg

MassFragg Cupcake

I've never used macros in raiding. I was the guy that had 6 bars stacked on top of each other for just stuff to do in combat and another 2 bars on the sides for out of combat skills, mounts and profession buttons. Once I started pvping though, I started to use them more. Not skill sequence our if than macros but target focus, cast on focus etc macros. I would like to see them in wildstar but the one shot macros of wow should stay in our painful memories.
  17. Sakorath67

Sakorath67 Cupcake

One thing I hope they catch though, and should as it is obvious. Is making sure people do not abuse the macro ability to have access to more than 8 or so spells at a time. I think having that cap 8 or so spells makes the game have a greater challenge.
  18. frogbound

frogbound New Cupcake

we have 10 ability slots - at least that's what I figured from watching the videos and reading a few interviews.
    Why would we need macros for that?
    Q E R F T 1 2 3 4 5
    Look at me I just bound every single key and I didn't even have to move with ESDF to get more hotkeys!
  19. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

macros are for bad players
  20. Flunk

Flunk New Cupcake

Never used macros and Never will. It ruins the fun for me. It simply makes it too easy to raid for me.

The closest I come to macros is keybinding.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.