1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Macros and/or Ques

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arz, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

The fact is, if you can macro everything, and do top dps the class was probably too simple to begin with. You should have to time cool downs properly instead of just spamming to do the best. Healing is even more impossible. Healing is all about reacting to the fight. You pick the best heal for the job based on upcoming mechanics/group health and so on. Macros should be allowed and i really don't care how unlimited they all because they will never be the optimal way to play.
  2. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

What more needed be said at that point what I said is true, even if people prefer to lie to themselves and pretend different!
    Which again makes the game easier, see my original answer!
    OK first to the PvP reply, which was short sighted to say the least, here is one month on our guild event planner and I count 26 raids booked and run that month, we have and always will be a high level end game raiding guild, we also just do a stack load of wPvP, requiring macros to do this just proves that you cant with out them, and therefore macros no matter how you try hide the point make the game easier to play, so when you successfully kill the final boss what its 20% you and 80% the macro, with me its always 100% me and 0% macro, I do not want or need anything that makes the game easier (and by easier I mean ways to beat the content).

Macros are for the lazy players who are not good enough, so they have a programme to manage the game for them, or like some other guy said a bit further down a O shizz button, which again just shows you not mentally fast enough to get the problem sorted, you need a programme to do it for you ..which YES makes the game easier!!
  3. Steiner

Steiner New Cupcake

Not sure if trolling about macros in pvp. Being able to cast spells on mouse-over or cast them on a /focus target is insanely useful. Unless you have the reflexes of....a superhero or something, you likely can't click a person, then cast your spell fast enough to interrupt the spell before it finishes.

That being said, macros that are capable of performing your most of or even all of your dps rotation are silly.
  4. Nemeses

I don't disagree with this this, wow really got to wonder about the intelligence here, all what I am saying and everyone is ducking is that Marcos make the game easier, so what you saying you either need the reflexes of a superhero (lmao that should tell us everything) or you use macros .... And no that does not make she game easier erm right :p
  5. Jip

Jip New Cupcake

from a PvP'r perspective....
    It seems like most of the population arguing against macros assumes they are solely to minimize action bar slots and key bindings used. However macros are a 2 way street in that regard, some people use macros in a manner that actually INCREASES the number of bindings they have to use.
    For example in arena it is common for a healer to have 3 separate key bindings that all cast the same spell but on 3 different teammates. I agree that it is "easier" to do it this way than to hard target/dispel, but I would also argue that it increases the skill cap

I wouldn't say macros are for noobs, honestly from my experience the noobs are the ones not using macros. Don't think I have ever watched a top PvP player stream who did not use at least some macros.
  6. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

But.... with a Limited Skillbar... We really need macros? in WoW and other games, macros are a must because you have over 20 skills to use, and items, etc.... but this game is an Action MMORPG, the best should be the possibility of play with a Gamepad without the need of macros

but like all... the use of macros is optional. I don't like them and I never use any macro(neither any addon to make a game easier like DBM) but if any want use it and make a game easy that is their choice
  7. Steiner

Steiner New Cupcake

In an environment where people quite often fake cast, being as quick as possible at precisely the right time is important. I am sure that for you, it may be easy to fly by night interrupt a focus target as a melee class while still following your dps target, but for others that is much more easily, and quickly, and reliably done through the use of macros. I personally, find it difficult to click on targets while chasing in melee because I often use my mouse to move the screen around.
  8. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

You don't really need macros for rotations in wow or at least i don't. Dps rotations are never more then 6 skills. Everything else is just situational cool downs.

Even without a lot of skills its very nice to be able to macro raid cool downs to say something in raid chat. Macroing more then one ability together will most likely be sub-optimal.
  9. eselle8

eselle8 Well-Known Cupcake

I don't have a problem with macros. I don't necessarily think we'll be seeing ones like RIFT has, where there are builds that are described as being one-button. It looks like combat in WildStar may end up being too jumpy and chaotic for that, and that a target and a couple quick cast spells may be as in depth as they get.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

What's this nonsense of watching bars and not being able to see the fight.

If you're unable to do a rotation properly and look at the fight, that's your handicap don't write it off as some sort of thing about "fun".

Rift had this and it macroed everything to a single button, that's boring not the other way around.

All macros should not allow cast sequences, period. It dumbs down the game and makes everyone use it as you'll never be as fast as a window licker pressing 1 key otherwise.
  11. kiri

kiri Cupcake-About-Town

As long as they're implemented right, macros are nice to have. Rift is obviously the prime example of what NOT to do - being able to basically bind your entire skillset to one key was just absurd and it's one of the reasons I quit the game. Being able to macro any type of cast sequence trivializes things.

It's great to have macros for some things though. In wow I used them mostly to facilitate keybinding - using a macro to make a button do ability X while in combat and Y while out of combat (or in/out of stealth, stances/forms, etc) was very handy. But who knows, with the LAS we may not need to bother with that level of keybinding.
  12. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

To some extent Macros/Keybinds are for the lazy player… but can also be for the smart player. I believe in the Scrooge McDuck principle of “Work smarter, not harder.”
    I.e. in CoHV I ran Ninja Run and Sprint often, and both of these burns endurance. I would often forget to turn them off when I went into a mission, and would find myself low on endurance during a fight because of this. I added a command in each of my attacks to toggle off both Sprint and Ninja Run in my Keybind file, and never again had to worry about blowing through endurance because I forgot them. When other players would complain about forgetting to turn them off I would tell them what I had done, and they would modify their own Keybind file.

I would say that this was a smart use of Keybinds/Macros that did not cheat the system (Unless you consider overcoming forgetfulness to be cheating.)

One of the things you could do in CoHV that the W* Devs need to pay attention to is you were able to activate an ability you owned via its name so it did not need to be on your LAS bar.
  13. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

If you only smashed a single button in RIFT, you were doing it very wrong. For DPS currently, I run a simplified rotation that's about 8 keys. For tanking, I have 30 on hotbars, and routinely use 20ish buttons.
  14. dizko

dizko Cupcake-About-Town

I used macros quite a bit in WoW as a raid and PvP healer. I think macros are really important to an MMO where one plays it quite often, same goes for mods. When you're playing a game like this for tons and tons of hours, it's really helpful to have tools so that you can tailor the game to your preferences. Shackling players into a single closed system in a game you spend hundreds of hours playing is just a bad idea.

Obviously, allowing any sort of automation is bad. But for example the way I used it I think is perfectly reasonable. I used to integrate /stopcasting to a few of my spells so that I was able to fluidly switch gears depending on the situation. I also used to macro a hover targeting so that I could use the default raid pull out to heal rather than relying on mods. That was very useful for when the mods became out of date, I never wanted to rely on a mod in that way.
  15. SepiDN

SepiDN New Cupcake

G15 keyboard.
    Enuff said.
  16. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

When i played and even when i returned it seems to still be that case. With certain priority systems not binding everything to one key is a good thing as it improves your performance you cannot however deny that certain roles can be bound to a few keys and when you can bind several abilities on one key something is very wrong.

Macroing certain things together is one thing, rift simply went too far to the point everyone had to use it for certain roles to be the most optimal and that's flat out wrong as it removes player timing and twitch responses.
  17. Lemming

Lemming Cupcake

I can agree you could do 85-90% of max DPS by hitting 2-3 keys. If you're comfortable doing 85% of your best, hey, macro the heck out of it, and have a great day. I prefer to be good at my job in a raid, so I don't macro everything together, smash more buttons, and get better results. To each their own.
  18. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

My point being that for hitting 1 button 85% of ones optimal dps is still too high, it should be heavily discouraged and only fetch about half that.
  19. Dracor

Dracor New Cupcake

I've never really been one for macros or add-ons in MMO's. The only ones I can really think of using in WoW were gearset/gear changing mods because that got rather tedious at times.

With the limited action set I can't see as many spell combo macros being as important as they were, but maybe people will do some clever/creative <REDACTED> with the mobility systems (dodging backwards + firing a telegraph forwards simultaneously etc). I could also see some basic assisting macro's being used.

Really depends on what carbine allows you to do, and what assistance a player could really get out of having a limited set being condensed even further.
  20. Nemeses

Yup so when you attack another player and he does a really good roll away and hit at the same time, its not actually him but a macro ..but I bet he still thinks he is a good player :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.