1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Macros and/or Ques

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Arz, Jun 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alverad

Alverad Well-Known Cupcake

That's a bit harsh. First, there are players out there with disabilities and macros make it possible for them to compete on a good level, second, macros are more then just 'fit your rotation and forget' tools. They are used for chat, utility abilities, emotes, dancing and all the other silly foo you can think of. And last, macro rotation will never be the optimal way to play, especially in a game with active combat. Don't really understand why people would be opposed to them. Don't like em, don't use em. They do not affect you.
  2. Psistorm

Psistorm Cupcake-About-Town

Well, macros have their uses. I'm not really in favor of DPS rotations and stuff though. More one-button raid markers, callouts and such. That works better.

Besides, we will have a limited action set, and I would rather avoid people stacking more abilities than the slots allow by using macros. So I do hope that if we get ability macros, that those won't be able to bypass the LAS limitations.

Lastly, sure you get optimal dps rotations with macros. But that sounds like DBM again. Sure it lets you focus on the boss more, but shouldn't the dps depend on YOU hitting those buttons? The fights should just be built around the absence of DBM type addons as well as the absence of skill rotation macros, tbh. That way everyone is on even ground.
  3. Nemeses

Nemeses Well-Known Cupcake

No one is talking about people with disabilities, how low can people get!
  4. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

As someone who hasn't played a lot of MMOs (mostly just WoW), I'm a little perplexed by some of the negativity towards the use of macros. I guess sometimes they work differently in other games? It's like some of you think every PvP macro is some version of the Swifty 1-shot macro, and every PvE macro is a full cast sequence with one's entire rotation. :rolleyes:

I use a lot of macros. A good chunk of them are situational stuff for specific encounters, but I also have some that bind instant no-GCD spells together, especially if their cooldowns line up. Some of my most used macros are set to /use a specific gear slot which activates on-use engineer enchants. Using a macro means I never have to change anything when I swap gear, that keybind always activates the enchant on that particular slot. One of my most important macros for raiding (and PvP, if I ever did any), especially on a caster, is a stopcast interrupt combo. Moving to cancel a cast and then casting an interrupt is pretty inefficient, and some classes can cast on the move meaning they have to hit escape first. In PvP especially, ain't nobody got time fa that! :roflamo:

Though I think the vast majority of my macros is a bunch of custom emotes, silly in-game memes, and various useful scripts (like the one that tells me if I've killed the world bosses yet this week). :D But hey, c'mon many RPers use a lot of macros too! Want dem custom emotes!

*Dragon jumps high into the air and gives you a righteous high five.* Oh yeah!
  5. Nemeses

I'm not fussed if people use them or not, your game to play as you see fit, crazy not to play what ever way suits you, what I'm having a laugh about is that none of them can be honest and admit that macos make the game easier to play!

Think its the typical :eek: WoW mentality (not all but unfortunately the majority these days :cautious:)
  6. Silas Jasar

Silas Jasar Cupcake-About-Town

You may have had some bad experiences with macros but as mentioned before, there are a lot situational macros and the less keybindings the less focus lost when fighting something because your not mentally flipping through them all. If your telling me you can be 100%, reacting in an instant to any situation no matter what, while having a seperate keybinding for every skill while fighitng a boss with several large and quick telegraphs in the middle of a 40 person fight then your lying. I personally don't use them in the game I'm playing now, SWTOR, and even find myself click healing on easier fights to spice it up, as I did with games before, but I can't tell you how much I loved the rejuv+swiftmend macro in WoW. Its literally the difference between life and death sometimes, has nothing to do with reaction time just travel time for my fingers.
  7. Dragon

Dragon Cupcake

Oh, well sure then, it definitely does. I meant more the folks who seem to think that people who use shortcuts only need them because they're bad. Granted, excessive reliance on macros and addons can become a handicap.

I'm iffy about things like cast sequence and other macros that may encourage bad habits. I do use at least one cast sequence macro situationally in combat, but it's for my shaman who has an insane number of keybinds (and I have small hands). Even with limited main action bar space, I'd still find plenty of use for non-combat macros. WoW's level of restriction for scripts and slash commands feels about right, even with the occasional exploitative macro someone comes up with every now and again.

(e) Oops, forgot quote lol. :rolleyes:
  8. That1Guy

That1Guy New Cupcake

Does anyone really think that macros will be as effective in WS as in other games? I don't. The combat and telegraph systems in WS make combat macros way less effective. You can't just lock on to a target and have everything in your macro land.

Hunters in WoW BC could run a macro and win because target was locked on and it was only about timing. In WS its about timing, and reacting, and movement, and positioning. A macro can only do one of these things for you.

I was a big fan of macros in WoW, but probably won't use them much in WS.
  9. Chooby

Chooby Cupcake

I hate macros.

This is a movement, skill based MMO with a small action bar. I'm pretty sure we can handle it.
  10. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

There's a difference between how WoW took care of macros (eventually) and how rift for example did it.

In WoW you couldn't do cast sequences anything with a GCD. In Rift you can imagine that you could spam one button and simple add in a whole list of abilities priority wise, making it so you macro would select always the first in the list if not available the second and so forth.

In WoW, if you had the same setup you would always on your second press use the second ability not the first one, making it so we don't macro our only available on proc available together with our most common used one.

This is why you have people opposed to it myself included. I don't care if it's about using a trinket together with a cooldown that's something everyone used or mouse over macros i'm speaking of macros that can literally remove majority of your keys to a single press.
  11. Nemeses

Unfortunately not a macro can do all of that for and on a repeat bases as well.

So players just load a macro with their best moves and attack combos hit one button over and over and they getting about maximum damage and manoeuvrability all with one key press! ( but shhh don't tell anyone because this of course does not make the game easier :D)
  12. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

The actionbar has what, 6 keys ? Why would you need macros ?
  13. Nemeses

Because most mmo players on here these days come from w** so they a tad bit slower than the rest of us :cautious: so without macroing the game to death they cant play!
  14. Cretz

Cretz Cupcake

Macros are very useful for tasks like advertising tradeskills & services and recruiting for your guild. Kudos to Carbine for having support for them, and addons, when several other MMOs recently have launched without them present.
    Alverad likes this.
  15. daayou

daayou New Cupcake

I am for macros and against them. Yeah, very committed :)

If I require more than 1-5, q,e for 99% of what I need, then I want them. People arguing that it is NOT skill because you use a macro, I'd question what skill are we talking about? Because the only skill you are actually talking about is typing. I want to play a game, not play Mavis Beacon Typing Tutor.
    Alverad likes this.
  16. Quenti

Quenti New Cupcake

Here's my 2 cents on this subject... I have been playing WoW eversince the beta and am using macro's for all the classes i play. I started out making macro's for a friend of mine that has a handicap... he wanted to play the game but due to his handicap wasnt able to keep up with the rest of the players so macro's for him worked out great. Untill this day i still use macro's but as i always tell people that use my macro's... using marco's wont make u pro it just helps a bit keep up with the rest. Up till the present WoW still allows people to use and make macro's and it hasnt hurt the game at all. Hope to see this feature in WildStar as well... so even people with disabilities can play as well, not just the pro wannebe peoples :)
  17. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

How else am I supposed to do sexy emotes in a chain while dancing on mailboxes without my cast sequence macros? You evil evil evil people!

Only macro that ever really bothered me was that silly rapid click one people use in huttball--swtor, then I joined with the scroll the mouse wheel to victory! Granted this rarely happened outside ranked warzones which are dead now. Thanks guys... should have queued for them, for now I am stuck playing PEGGLE 2, which is awesome by the way, everyone should be playing PEGGLE 2!
  18. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Do you guys know the macro/emote for Necroing a thread?.....neither do I...and that has a reason!
    [​IMG]
  19. Enkidu

Enkidu Cupcake-About-Town

*smiles* boredom does many things. Join the NERCO FUN! RAISE ABOVE THE RANKS THIS THREAD SHALL!
  20. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

[​IMG]
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.