1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Name Preconceptions

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Classix, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

as an offtopic post: We need some WildStar love for this, perhaps a Deal with it Rowsdower.
    Ianpact likes this.
  2. Marakesh

Marakesh Cupcake

Tragic. I predict the spellslinger is going to be the hunter of early wow, and I'm going to be competing in that pack. :/
  3. Ianpact

Ianpact Cupcake-About-Town

Come on folks, with all the space :alien: sci-fi shows out there in which the medics put the hurt on the enemy you would think we could be more accepting of this name. In every Star Trek series the "ship's Dr." laid the smack down on somebody at some point. Everyone's favorite Firefly (the movie) had the big brother medic bust out a cap toward the end, I believe. Okay, I didn't watch Battlestar Galactia but based on the snippets I did see, I'm willing to bet the main medic of that show did some damage. Babylon 5 (I think I watch one episode of this) I'm sure they had to tough it out. I know the medics of Stargate series had to fight once in a while, even if they were just supporting roles in the show. Andromeda had Hercules, if you're with that guy, you have to know how to fight. Don't forget Lost In Space.......oh,....wait, ......never mind. Then of course there is Doctor Who! Okay, he wasn't really a medical doctor but he does do some serious butt whooping. ;)

Now that the silliness is out of the way, I really believe it is too early to judge if a class in a non-typical MMO setting is doomed due to it's name alone. Carbine have already stated this class will make the biggest use of the free-form targeting of the three healing classes, which should make it the most skill required class to use and possibly the most powerful.

As for worries about players not taking it's damage capability seriously, that will come down to how the class plays, not the name. If it's dps mechanics fail to impress, like WoW's early shadow priest, then it will become stereo-typed as a healer. Had priest dps been strong in the beginning like it was in Wrath and Cata, then it's doubtful that folks would have developed prejudices against. If you look at medieval fantasy history, there are many cases in which priest were fighters as well as healers, and no, I don't mean paladins.

Frankly, I have grown to like the name quite a bit. My granok, Dr. Hank "Pain :mad: Inducer" McCoy will be laying down the heals and hurt in equal measure....well, maybe more hurting. He is a granok after all, how heal-ly can they be? :cautious:
    FruitPunchHero likes this.
  4. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah I think citing early WoW as an example is kind of flawed since Shadow Priest DPS was terrible, Warriors were the only class that could tank effectively and every tier armour set available to hybrid classes were for their healing spec (even the two that could theoretically tank) except warriors who it was for tanking. Vanilla WoWs mechanics reinforced bad preconceptions because the dev team did a half A$$ed job of actually making the hybrid classes actual hybrids.
    FruitPunchHero and Mondasin like this.
  5. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

The issue I have with the name comes from the fact that it will have the possibility of strictly DPS roles and those who will only play as medic DPS. If you're not doing any healing at all, you're not a medic, and yet in WildStar you will be. A medic that doesn't heal. It sounds goofy as hell and is a bad misnomer.

We're stuck with it anyway so there's really no point in having further discussion about it, kind of like how convincing Carbine to include 10 mans at this stage is fruitless.
    Roda likes this.
  6. Ianpact

Not sure how it's flawed when that was my exact point. If the medic's dps is lacking, then a healer is all it will be considered. What part of that comparison is flawed?

Oh come on, if you kill stuff quickly, wouldn't that be considered damage prevention? Sounds like a disc priest (if you stretch it really far) to me. :p

Perhaps, but I was just having some fun with my post and trying to perk up those who weren't sure about this name. :oops: Did not actually expect it to upset anyone.

Does no harm to post your ideas- you never know who might stumble on your thread. ---CRB_PChan

:D
  7. Xlugon Pyro

Speaking of stretching, this is one ridiculous twist. By this argument, high DPS warriors are synonymous with healers and disc priests.

Nobody's upset. LOL

They've already made their decision about it and it's not like they're unaware of 10-man raiding (it's in virtually every MMO right now) until forum-goers informed them. They want the bar of entry to be high. Besides, this late in the development cycle, such additions are not made, hence why I said "at this stage".
  8. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

[​IMG]

Where is your god now?
    FruitPunchHero and Skippy like this.
  9. Mondasin

He looked me in the eyes and said "Mundo goes where he pleases" and wandered off into the sunset to never be heard from again.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Relevance?
  11. CaRaDaGaiTa

CaRaDaGaiTa Cupcake-About-Town

Do you know who is him?
  12. Mondasin

13. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

His name is "Dr. Mundo", but he is more on the mad scientist side. He's a League of Legends character, in case you don't play that game. In the game lore he is a doctor that is more sadist than healer.

I think his point was that the character's name is Doctor, but he's a pure DPS character with self-regen powers. I'm not sure he picked the best example.
  14. Karl Pedder

Karl Pedder Cupcake-About-Town

Sorry I wasn't disagreeing with your post I apparently failed to open with how I felt the names of Priest and Warrior classes had less to do with the situation than the precedents that were set by the vanilla mechanics. While I'm sure there will still be some fools who simply can't wrap there brains around the situation and that perhaps new players who have not looked into to the game very much might not roll a Medic simply because of the name. Even though the class name doesn't really fit that well for me either I think that as long as a DPS specced Medic is on par with other classes DPS specs then for the majority of the player population the situation some folks are discribing simply wont be the case.
    FruitPunchHero and Ianpact like this.
  15. Xlugon Pyro

Right.

Still, doctor does have more broad connotations than the medic does. Not all doctors are practitioners of medicine/healthcare for example. XD

Then their are oxymoronic or ironic characters like the quoted one. :p
  16. MrGrimord

MrGrimord New Cupcake

Not only "Medic" do not sounds right to a damage role, but the whole name do not feels right in a sci-fi rpg game. It do not sounds badass. The name is also way too general. I mean medics heals people, they do not hurt or kill people, at least it's not a military mmo as far as I know.

Spellslinger, Stalker and Esper sounds cool and fresh in the mmo classes names. Warrior, Engineer and Medic on the other hands... too common IMO. Not good.
  17. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Except they were not set by WoW.
    WoW just copied them from existing fantasy MMORPGs, who got them from existing computer fantasy RPGs, who got them from existing fantasy table top RPGs started in the late 70s, who got them from existing fantasy books such as Tolkien.
    The table top RPG Cleric/Priest was a plate wearing, mace welding fighter type who had access to divine spells, including healing. The Cleric could have chosen not to use the healing spells, but then the rest of the group would have asked why the <REDACTED> did they choose to roll up a Cleric. Hells, the Cleric’s healing spells were all touch type, very difficult to use in combat, yet there was still this expectation that they used healing spells, because well… they were <REDACTED>ing Clerics.

The expectations for a Medic was set long before any of us were around and Carbine is not going to change that. The W* Medic is capable of going full DPS, yet even the proponents of the name Medic cannot get their heads around a full DPS Medic.
  18. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Let's just change the class name to "Healer".

And if you take all DPS skills, then your class name is automatically altered to "NotHealer".
    Ianpact likes this.
  19. C1d0s

C1d0s Cupcake

We don't know how medics work mechanically in either aspects, be that straight-up heals or DPSing. Perhaps the class itself will make more sense when we can get our hands on them, such as their DPS actually providing healing or some sort of buff for the party so that it's a little more in-line with the expectation brought by the title.
  20. Ianpact

Taking me just a wee tad too serious, don't you think. :cautious:

While I wouldn't argue that it's a bit late to try to throw in 10 mans at release, I'm not sure why it should be ruled out for all of the future. If a well thought out argument could be made to put them in down the line, then I imagine that Carbine would consider doing so. I have little doubt there is an audience for them and there is no reason they couldn't continue the trend of lesser gear than 20 and 40 mans while giving greater gear than everything else or perhaps even on par with the veteran dungeons.