1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

"Medic" Weapons

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by SykoTavo, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

Everybody will label the Medic as healer, because that is what it is in the real world.
    There will be people who demand that a Medic plays as a healer in their group, and there will be people who will look for a Medic when they have healer Espers and Spellslingers in their group. I have seen this happen in MMOs even when the Devs have stated that the other classes are totally viable in the role; hells one W* Dev slipped up and called the non-disclosed DPS/Healer class (Medic) the primary healer in one vid interview.

If the Devs leave the Medic with this name, players will have to be constantly dealing with preconceptions of this class, because anybody beyond an 8th grade education should know what a Medic is in the real world.
    Raarsi and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  2. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

Of course it's my opinion. Everyone else is throwing their opinions around, I might as well get my view in as well. Honestly, is your first thought "healer" when you read the name Spellslinger? You're just looking for an argument.

There will also be people who demand that the Spellslinger and Esper heal their group, simply because those classes have a healing ability. There will be Spellslinger players who will demand that another Spellslinger play healer, just because he took the DPS spot "first".

As for your last comment, I would hope anyone beyond an 8th grade education playing this game would also know that the Medic will have DPS abilities. I really don't see why you're so bent out of shape about this.

And again I'll point out, those weapons just look like the Medic is itching to get in someone's face and apply some medically-induced hurt.

This is Carbine's world of Wildstar; apparently a Medic has a different definition here.
  3. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

No offense, but you just don't get it.
  4. teh_ninjaneer

teh_ninjaneer Cupcake-About-Town

You are correct. I do not.

I don't understand why people are this concerned about something that isn't even an issue yet because it hasn't been officially announced, and the game isn't live so you really don't know how people will react to the name.

I assume Carbine has chosen the name Medic because they need something with a tech-theme. People have suggested Alchemist as an alternative. To me that sounds more of a magical or holistic term, not technological.

And people will form their opinions about what they think the primary role *should* be no matter what you call the class.

Would you prefer the class be called Surgeon? Intern?
  5. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

To be fair, the name "Medic" is not officially chosen yet, and until the official announcement, we shouldn't treat it as if it were written in stone.

Biological Technician.
    BioTech for short.

Master of all things organic.
    Alters friendly's insides for happy feels, enemy's for less happy feels.
  6. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

Alchemist comes up most not only because it's the most common alternative thought of, but mainly because the term "alchemist" has been used a couple of times by lore writers on the main Wildstar site (mainly in reference to Mordesh alchemists).

I like that one, and the description too. Unfortunately it did dawn on me that devs likely wouldn't settle for a name that awesome. Maybe scientist or something equally as bland.
  7. Roda

Roda Cupcake-About-Town

But but but..
    [​IMG]
    ಠ_ಠ
    Raarsi and Classix like this.
  8. Xlugon Pyro

I'm not terribly concerned about it at all. It's far from gamebreaking, but at the same time, it's an easy fix Carbine could implement to help alleviate a potential negative perception of WildStar's future playerbase. The name medic will carry an impression that no other WildStar class can, fairly (via optimal skills/talents) or unfairly (ignorance due to judging solely by the name). The other names are either very unique in the genre or have for a long time been associated with multiple roles and don't run this risk. The exception to this is the stalker which is still a role-neutral enough of a name to sensibly bear a second role so long as it isn't a healer (stalker as a title for a healing class just doesn't work; sounds contradictory), which is not the case as their second role is tanking.

That said, I do think that the medic name is here to stay as the same two names have been leaked several times, both by typical leakers and accidentally/teasingly by Carbine itself. Chemist might work for an alternate name, but I would really need to see more abilities by this class and probably crack open a dictionary for various hi-tech scientific professions.
  9. Jeuraud

Jeuraud Cupcake-About-Town

But calling a Medic a healer is not an opinion, it is a statement of fact. In the western world your battlefield medical practioners are called Medics (unless your Navy), and they even carry and use weapons, but their priority is providing battlefield medical aid. Hells, your examples of other names for the Medic
    backs my previous statement up; you are imposing the healer paradigm on the class called Medic (by us), a class that is DPS/Healer.

In games like Shadowrun there is no healer class, there are just Mages and Shamans who have learned healing spells along with damage and utility spells. You then add in archetypes that use magic to just change themselves (Shapechangers, Physical Adapts), and those who cast spells are often called Spellslingers. I have been calling Casters, Spellslingers long before W* came along.

I like the name Biotech, it does not specify healing, but it does specify the use of tech and not magic.
  10. Classix

Classix Cupcake

I like the sound of Technician or Bio-Technician even Tech for short, then Biotech myself.
    "What class do you play?" "Oh im just a Biotech"
    Dosen't quite sound right.

Regardless this is topic is about the WEAPONS is it not?

I suggest we make a separate topic for this as it is an interesting discussion.
  11. Mondasin

Mondasin Cupcake-About-Town

So I played global agenda for a spell as the medic class there, being the healer class was fun. The fun got better when I went poison and people were wondering why the healy guy in the corner was making them bleed out of their anus.

And yes the thread has kinda gone from Medic Weapons to Medic attack style and naming misconceptions.
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  12. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

Oh right, forgot scientist is claimed as a path. Maybe we can have biotech. :p

And now back to weapons (hopefully). I do expect they'll be more than shock paddles. If anything, they look like short-range biochemical spray cannons with something like defibrillators at the ends of them, hence why they -look- like shock paddles and yet are wielded as if they're really big pistols. Hopefully with the class devspeak video we can get a better glimpse of what sort of good and bad stuff flies out of them.
  13. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

People forget that medicine can be used to harm as it can to heal.

Also, "bleed out of their anus" made me laugh out loud for a good five seconds. Thank you so much.
  14. Cogburn

Cogburn Cupcake-About-Town

Lots of ways to help people. Sometimes heal patients; sometimes execute dangerous people. Either way helps.” ~ Dr. Mordin Solus

[​IMG]
    ruff_ethereal likes this.
  15. Dysp

Dysp Cupcake-About-Town

"I intended the giant Death Ray to be used for good, not evil. To help mankind! Not destroy it!" -Professor Death

Two sides to everything!
  16. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Where is the image of the medic, I can't seem to find it.
  17. Xlugon Pyro

Lol borked.
  18. Deimos

Deimos Cupcake

Image doesn't appear to work :(
  19. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

I can't hide it any longer. I cannot wait to get my hands on the medic class.
  20. Deslo

Deslo New Cupcake

So I reckon that this here Medic class of sorts is gonna be a melee type, judging by the look of the weapon and all. Punching enemies with electric fists of fury, and then punching your friends with healing fists of fury. I just wonder if there's a switch, ya know...So you don't do the opposite.