1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Melee Healer

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Ashiktara, Mar 21, 2013.

1. plic70

plic70 Cupcake-About-Town

Unfortunately they gave Judgement a 30 yd range a few xpacs ago and very rarely did I ever have to run in and swing my hammer/sword to regen mana.

A true melee healer would need to have either short range targetable spells and good AOE/fire-forget spells or just bash people over the head with a "medical" HAMMAH!!!! or healie bullets. Which personally I would love to have healing like that, would be most excellently hilarious.

"Oh, you're hurt? Here let me give you a good whacking to numb the pain!!! Whu, where you going?"
  2. Chomag

Chomag Cupcake-About-Town

Melee healer ?! Sure, healers don't get enough flak in battlegrounds, let's just put them in range of melee as well.
  3. Simokon

Simokon Cupcake-About-Town

Warrior Priest.. Best healer class ever invented
    Laban likes this.
  4. plic70

It's another reason why I think the engineer/rifle class would be a healer, heavier armor, can drop protective droids on people. But also a melee healer would be pretty cool, in BGs healers are essentially focused down regardless of where they are. Creating a melee healer would force the devs to give them more defense abilities(passive, active, proc), better armor, and more spell pushback resist or instant/short cast. They would also need some form of offensive abilities to maintain viability/survival in PVP.

I feel you, believe me I do. But I think the melee healer would force Carbine to give it some serious good defensive skill.

-Plic-
  5. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

I have always loved the idea of a melee healer. Healers always seem relegated to the back lines, and getting to play that one badass who charges to the front lines to help support your teammates just appeals to me. I want to be shoulder to shoulder with the guys in the pit getting bloody and support them from inside the fray. I guess that's the old Football Lineman mentality in me.
  6. plic70

Lineman!?!?!?!? Me bruddah!!!!!! Though here is the ultimate question, were Offense or Defense? Choose your words wisely.....

-Plic-
  7. Nym

Nym Cupcake-About-Town

LOL, I graduated with around 85 students, When you play football at my high school and you are a skilled player you play both sides of the ball. I was Quick side(pulling) guard and Tackle/Linebacker. I also was on every special team accept kick off.

The linemen mentality thou is just a good one to have. You are the backbone and support of the entire team, your praise comes from your teammates at the end of a great play, drive, or game. You're not looking for the big name in lights, just a pat on the back of the head from the people that matter the most. Carry that into an MMO, I feel like a melee healer and tanks are perfect analogs.
  8. plic70

Well, at least you played some offense...

It will be cool to see how the melee healer plays off of the tanks, with TGs and dodges happening all around the melee zone. It will also be interesting to see what kind of offensive tools they are given.

The possibilities...

-Plic-
  9. Doomgrin

Doomgrin Cupcake-About-Town

With the telegraph system being in place, I can easily see a melee healer that has AOEs, Cones, etc that damage enemies and heal in the same telegraph.
  10. Grelin

Grelin Cupcake

I personally hope they don't make a melee healer because chances are, it's gonna be way too OP. That happened with the Warrior Priest in Warhammer Online as well as the DK in WoW when I played. Both classes could not only do good damage, but the damage they did would give massive heals. I honestly don't see any reason to have them in the game either since they are literally impossible to balance in a trinity.
  11. plic70

Well, DKs were tank/dps, so that kind of defeats the point of using it to refute a melee healer. Don't get me wrong they were OP as SH!T, being a DW frost DK, tanking and running the charts....guh. I never played WHO, but a melee healer is something the changes the paradigm and I think it would be a fresh idea. Granted it will be balls hard to balance but I think Carbine can do it, especially witht heir telegraph system.
  12. jimmy

jimmy New Cupcake

long time lurker newbish poster

what is lacking from what we know is CC

the esper very slight stagger with the phoenix thing and the hand smack down look more damage oriented as vs true CC & the staggering is almost inconsequential/ noticeable

IF the staff wielder is the "mainish healer" then CC fits best with this and from what has been seen it looks like electrical shocks and some kind of wind knock about NOT 1 bit of melee seen with this staff wielder though it does appear close ranged BUT that could just be the person using it like the spellslinger video from ZAM is just some uncarring fool standing in melee range and not even moving out of telegraphs

Anyway; basically saying CC is lacking and the STAFF class looks to me (from what little we have seen) to fit CC & heals
  13. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

It's not really.
  14. jimmy

jimmy New Cupcake

k blows my CC bit :-P

but from the 2 different staff wielders have seen the stuff they did had electrical qualities and it looked like wind causing a burst affect that broke up the ground under them. no melee action but elemental magic like in close range though now do remember 1 was definitely a NPC while the other was a female fighting a aurin esper...whether or not was an NPC = who knows
  15. Laban

Laban Cupcake-About-Town

Give me something like a Warrior Priest from Warhammer Online and I'm sold.
  16. Flawz

Flawz Cupcake-About-Town

If they end up making a ranged tank... why not a melee healer aye ?
  17. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I'd love to see a melee healer, but he'd need some good abilities to traverse the battlefield quickly. I'm thinking something like that gunslinger teleport to melee ability I keep seeing in trailers, or the GW2 Guardian meditations.
  18. plic70

Oooo, I completely forgot about movement. A healing burst charge: surrounded by healie "stuff" the player charges at the target healing any allies in his way for .33X heal, the target receives X heal. Or, upon reaching the target, who receives a full heal, there is an AE burst of healing power to every ally in a....10 yard range?

Ooooo, the possibilites.
  19. Brasdefer

Brasdefer New Cupcake

With the way healing is done, area of effect type heals, it is very possible to see a melee range healer used to heal the Melee DPS and Tank.

If this is the case though, I don't see them being the best of healing classes out there. As a melee healer they would need to be able to survive the melee ranged attacks from other players, mobs, bosses, raid bosses, etc. if they were able to do this and heal just as good as something that is required to stay far back it would cause a imbalance.

What I would see is the Friar class from Dark Age of Camelot or the Chanter from Aion, both had the ability to heal, but neither was ever the "main" healer of the group. This allowed the Friars and Chanters to heal in times where heavy damage was being taken and the healers needed help, but allowed them to DPS (very mid-range DPS) during fights. The advantage of these classes were their durability, especially in PvP type environments. Going against a mid-range DPS that can always heal in a 1v1 fight is not the smartest thing to do.

This is what I would consider balanced. No, they aren't the best heals or best DPS in a raid fight, but in PvP (especially 1v1) they have more survivability and can out last any other DPS class.
  20. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I'd say this style could potentially be really important in PvE, too. It all depends on how the combat is structured. It would absolutely fail in a tank-n-spank setting yeah, but let's theory craft Wildstar. Everything is so movement focused, that unless there are heavy time constraints (enrage timers, growing boss buffs, etc) this could be heavily rewarding to PvE raiders; the caveat is that the raid would have to be in peak shape/condition because while they could have a decent dps boost, any raider to screw up and take heavy damage could face more serious repercussions.