1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Modding and Crafting Changes to CBC

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Gortok, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steaks

Steaks New Cupcake

Making things more accessible is the best possible thing to do if you want to create a larger longterm hardcore community, ironically. The more players you don't frustrate or confuse early, the longer they stay in and can pick up the complex stuff. Most people are smart enough to figure out complex stuff, most people don't have the patience to learn the complex stuff if it brick walls them out of gameplay really quickly and they're still in the "maybe or maybe not" phase of picking up a game long term.
    Sonntam and Vaos like this.
  2. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

I have officially clarified and responded. Click the arrow I think to go to the post.
    Tiberius, Anhrez, Sonntam and 2 others like this.
  3. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

cool, thanks for the post and hopefully you knew I was just giving you a hard time.....mostly. :D
  4. Steaks

Steaks New Cupcake

I kind of like the idea of an extra end level quality distinction because in reality, having a lot of variance within the same quality is a little confusing.

On the other hand, I think having the same quality has a good hook to getting lower end players into the loot game. When the super awesome guys on the server get "Purples" and then graduate to nothing but "Reds", you feel less like you're in the cool kids club when you get your first "Purple" to a newer raider.
  5. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Have the majority of the raid bosses drop Rare drops, Then only the last drop "Epics"?
    Sapien likes this.
  6. Sapien

Sapien Cupcake-About-Town

This is a valid concern, couse one dont wanna outlvl the gear one is about to make just becouse one have to farm mats for it.
    Rare Spawn likes this.
  7. EtherealOmega

EtherealOmega Cupcake-About-Town

This system sounds way cool :) I always thought there should be degrees within loot rarities. (I completely overlooked that post before.) Have a 1st/2nd/3rd degree system for Epics will mean the really hard ones to get, though still of epic quality, will have some way to show that it was harder to get than most.
  8. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Don't forget the auction house. In every game anyone can buy some pretty awesome items there. The better crafters will be selling excess items there and even the "noob" will be able to pick up some fairly good pieces, whether or not they craft themselves.

Heck, a lot of people in the Elder Game will be buying stuff. I expect that, like every other game I've played, there will be very few people who persist long enough in crafting to make the best items. They will always be in demand.
    Luc likes this.
  9. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

Yes, yes, YES!!

Another big YES!

Finally a game designer who gets it. Or at least has been allowed to design it the way it should be. BANZAI!!!
    Extatica likes this.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Lol we got ourselves a very happy Dragon here :D Although I feel exactly the same.
    WoW <REDACTED>ed up crafting, but hopefully we can get it back in WS ;)
  11. Brooklyn

Brooklyn New Cupcake

From what little I know about the systems.

• I agree with "make it easy to start, hard to master"
    • Above all make it logical.
    • Have a quick compare, so when we need/greed we can make a quick educated decision, perhaps comparing the base stats or with the same mods stats ...
    Thank you for your work! I hope this will be a game my friends & I can enjoy for years to come.
  12. Anhrez

Anhrez Cupcake-About-Town

First sorry for the wall of text, like all the posters here on Wildstar-Central and specifically the posters so far on this thread I am passionate about crafting :)

I am looking forward to any changes in the CBC and crafting. Don't get me wrong I like many parts of the old process as described but the examples that I had seen to date did not show me where I "Anhrez master {redacted} crafter" will make my mark and separate myself from other crafters. In the current iteration (imho) it seemed crafters were reduced to makers of the item framework as the players could swap out most anything and everything. Where is the impact (good or bad) of my choices as a crafter? There are choice consequences all over MMO's why not in crafting?

What was shown so far (again I know we only saw a small part) did not say to me repeat business for crafters either. If I make a sword that has the best 'split of power usage' then that player could buy it and just chip it around over and over again as they change builds/specs . Where is my repeat business? I have worked my arse off to get to max level and make awesome sword and Arawulf buys one single max level sword from me then he does not need my services again? I like Gaffney's phrase player churn so I will steal and spin it. Where is my item churn? Having a hero get one sword made and be able to swap it around like a swiss-army knife may seem great for the buyers but I think it leaves us crafters out in the cold. If I made you an awesome sword when you were in your 'DPS kill everything' phase' I want you to come back to me and get one for you 'my guild says I need to learn how to tank' phase. I know the swords I will be making are not going to be better than ones in raids but remember not everyone will be high end raiders, and even if they do raid it can take a long time for your dream sword to drop. Please allow Anhrez to profit off of Arawulf's crappy loot roll skills for as long as I can.

I want to make a sword that has some possible stats associated with it, and then see chips enhance it. Make me make choices in the crafting process to allow me to impact the sword and my skills, effort, training, hell even luck can then adjust power consumption, slot/chip arrangements. I just think if chips define it all, and can always be swapped the need of crafters is diminished.

The posts above is why I am hopeful about the changes. Now am I excited about the changes.? No like I said I am hopeful. Not till we get another specific item walk through from gathered resources, making crafting choices, to equipping an item, to what the equiper can now do/control on their item will I be able to tell if my hope is founded. When we get that then we can all circle back to asking some detailed questions about what we now know, not asking question about we now fear is in the game.
    Arawulf likes this.
  13. Luc

Luc Cupcake-About-Town

I'm one of those, i bought or drop items in every mmo i've played so far, except GW2 cuz i played at headstart so i needed to manage my own equipment.
    Gronky likes this.
  14. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I gave you a thumb up as you are a potential customer :p
  15. Hagon94

Hagon94 New Cupcake

I feel like there's a slight hostility towards the devs and a little bit of tension in some of these discussions with the devs arround here...
  16. Infamouz

Infamouz Well-Known Cupcake

Well of course a good and well mannered debate is always prefered, but the same time I like that both of the sides speak their minds openly instead of being afraid of every word they let out of their mouth.

I think the customer side was afraid that the service side dumbs down the content to meet the lowest common denominator, wow style and the service side didn't come out clear enough with the first few messages with what they meant.
    Livnthedream and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  17. zeewut

zeewut New Cupcake

There are some valid points even among the more hostile posts. Look back at some of your favorite MMO's pre release and you will find similar comments on all of them from the devs. GW2 for example:

In most games, you go out and you have really fun tasks occasionally that you get to do, and the rest of the game is this boring grind to get to the fun stuff. “I swung a sword, I swung a sword again… hey, I swung it again! That’s great!” We just don’t want players to grind in Guild Wars 2. No one enjoys that, no one finds it fun. We want to change the way people view combat.

Five or so years of that same ole' line of <REDACTED> from various other companies and people tend to get a bit hostile and less trusting.

Not to mention there are some contradicting blog posts from the higher ups lately.
    Livnthedream and teh_ninjaneer like this.
  18. Hagon94

Hagon94 New Cupcake

Of course everyone should have their say on the matter, but I just think there are better ways of saying it than people in this thread did. I think the same messages could have been given without the slight hostility.
    Kash likes this.
  19. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

I think that our hostility to Carbine is like hostility to one you love. You get angry at them but still love them :inlove:
  20. Kolas

Kolas New Cupcake

Just caught up on this thread. Gotok, PChan, thank you for all of your updates. I'm very encouraged to hear what you have to say, and I can't wait to get my hands on the system in-game!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.