1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Modding and Crafting Changes to CBC

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by CRB_Gortok, Aug 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Livnthedream

Livnthedream Super Cupcake

2. Vyver

Vyver "That" Cupcake

if you are hostile to anyone you love you are a complete douchebag

I'm sorry, "we love you and that's why we viciously tear down anything you say with third grade temper tantrums and zero second thoughts" isn't an airtight excuse to be a complete douchebag.
    Ianpact, salazar, Sonntam and 3 others like this.
  3. Gronky

Gronky Cupcake-About-Town

In my experience saying love you always works quite well :rolleyes: Hostility is rare but it always happen. I would have to be a robot to avoid it or have a very boring(/understanding) personality or to not give a <REDACTED> about person I love. My character is more Granok like :p
  4. Consiliem

Consiliem New Cupcake

I am also grateful to the Devs for what they are telling us, and the more I see this system being clarified, the more excited about it I get! Inc wall of text...

I have always been the player who wants to craft, but farming has never been my favorite thing to do. It lost its flavor for me when it was just "grind out 50 ore and you can make these 10 swords to level your profession 10 points". I want to feel an impact when I finally get that last component to craft with, and I want satisfaction when I make that PERFECT piece. W* gives me hope in that regard.

I enjoyed the type of crafting that Firefall has, although it didn't hit the mark perfectly either. In a nutshell, maybe you needed 5 pieces of metal for this item, and there are several different types of metal you can use to craft it. Some are flexible, some are hard, and some are better carriers of energy, but each different metal had a different impact on the final product. You may want metal x to give its stat to your final product, but if it's too hard to farm for, then metal y is usable, albeit at the cost of a lesser final product's stat outcome.

That's the rough kind of choice I am hoping for, but I want it more in depth. Maybe a component helps one stat but hurts another. Or, this really good combination of stats you want is doable, but since the two metals you are using don't play nice together, you may need an extra material to make it work. I don't know the correct answer, but I want to feel as though my choices matter, and that making something well is hard while something weak is easy. What do you guys think?
    Sonntam likes this.
  5. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Thanks for the info

Don't let all the negativity get to you, people are just itching to play.
  6. Pmizzrym

Pmizzrym Cupcake-About-Town

Wow epic post

Bolded part is what could escalate you guys to a billion dollar company.

Trust me.
  7. Gronky

I might if you just didn't add this "Trust me" :D
    AimLock, Sonntam and CRB_Gortok like this.
  8. CRB_Gortok

CRB_Gortok Carbine Econ Designer

That is comedy gold right there.
  9. DarkenChao

DarkenChao New Cupcake

I do believe that this is a very interesting concept to put into crafting. Though I am not the one who went out and crafted items because most times I didn't need them anymore. But in this case I would actually enjoy crafting in a game especially since what you have said makes it rewarding.

I do think you very much for that I cannot wait to play the game you and Everyone at Carbine Studios has been working on. Keep up your good work and I will be looking forward to the new information at Gamescom and Pax Prime.
  10. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

For example?
  11. Gronky

I've actually tried that line once on an interview :mad:
  12. Kewissa

Kewissa New Cupcake

There are always people that are uninterested in crafting. They shouldn't have to do crafting. That's why crafters sell what they make, and people buy them. I happen to love crafting. (though I haven't tried this system obviously).

However, from what you are saying, you aren't changing the system over all to make it easier. You are allowing the system to grow as a character does, and you are making it so you have to know more of what you are doing with stats in order to get a good piece overall. Frankly, I like this. It means that it gets more complex as you go along, not unlike crafting irl. When you start making things, you make easy things... as you get better at it, your projects get more difficult to do. It makes perfect sense to me. I also like that at least part of the stats are integrated into what you make.

Now I just can't wait to see what the actual pieces look like. I admit, I like to make my characters unique and have a certain visual aesthetic.
    sidhia, Sonntam and Ianpact like this.
  13. Tiberius

Tiberius Cupcake-About-Town

I'd like to hear more about this, too. Gortok/PChan, I'm guessing details about this will continue to be evolving with the crafting system itself so I don't really expect you guys to give us all the info right now, but are we likely to get more info about this in weeks, or months?
  14. sidhia

sidhia Cupcake

Thank you. This is reassuring to me.

The small amount of information on the Circuit Board Crafting I saw many months ago looked like it was going to be quite complicated and require some website research to use effectively. I love crafting but not if it starts to look more like a study project than actual game play. Starting with simple basics and gradually introducing more (relevant) complexity sounds good. I'm really glad to hear you are thinking of us noobs that want to play while we learn and not have to reference wikki's.

I love all crafting and gathering and am really looking forward to many happy years playing this game.

Keep the UI integrated and beautiful!

Just a thought about those persons that are either not aware of these crafted items or are too intimidated. In playing other MMO's the thing that always got me over my hesitation to try the crafting system out or at least really look into it was always some small superficial visual effect they had on the game. Not necessarily something that impacted game play just some visual que that the character had either bought or participated in a particular craft. A tiny red glow on an item, a crafting pet i saw following someone, a funny looking crafting outfite on a character, something to take the crafting out of the complex serious raider category and have it seem fun for the day to day stuff of gaming.

Thank you for making this game and taking the time to make it easy to jump into and cohesive.

signed, One of the Noobs
  15. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

How is it an illusion of choice when you are clearly have multiple options and you pick one?

Because everyone is a nub when they start.
    They could force people to do a complex integral if they wanted to rule out the 'nubs'. But what is the point? Exclusivity for the sake of itself? You don't want people to learn to play the game without a book?
  16. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

Here's an example

As a stalker i wear light-medium armor. therefore that armor type is itemized to usually dex,evs.

Say i wanted to build a (lets use haste for the lack of a better word) Haste/dex light stalker. (logical right? fast crits)

But every piece of over lvl 20 light armor is considered not suitable for a stalker now because they can wear medium armor. so every piece of light armor is itemized to int/+other

So if i want to go light armor then i have to deal with the fact that int is locked in and unchangeable as core....

(at this point drops and crafted are interchangeable because it really doen't matter because: )

Your probably thinking to yourself "why the hell would he build it like that the class is not designed that way" which is exactly my point. The class is designed and balanced to stack dex/evs on medium leather, So you will stack dex/evs for the most performance.

Which brings us back to illusion of choice because they have clearly now made it so you cannot deviate from this core ideology that the devs have said to be law.

Clearly by this statement there is a mantra of" "There is a right way and a wrong way to doing things".

If you had someone trying to ride a bike for the first time, Would you say you must leave the training wheels on till you are 12?Or would you let them when they are confident enough take the trainers off?

Why limit someones potential in such a way?

If they fall over, Let them learn from mistakes, Give them access to TONS of information about the subject, visually SHOW them how to master the skill. Embed youtube videos right into the game client explaining things.

Don't just say, "Everyone has to have training wheels until they are 12" when the guy next to you is poping monos at 6...
  17. Mellkor

^ This guy prime example.

Seems its emended into his thoughts he should fear the crafting system because it will be non intuitive and he will have to reference out side sources to get things moving.

Remove that fear. Design the crafting introduction in such a way that is both welcoming and educational using simple, regular explanations of concepts.

But don't limit the potential of the character by removing aspects of the system as a means of suppressing the users fear.

[​IMG]

Final Fantasy X's spear grid, Looks complex but is not. (its debatable weather square did a good job introducing this or not)

Simply.
    • You acquire skill points which allow you to move along the gird.
    • You can move to anywhere on the grid.
    • You can unlock nodes by inserting items dropped by monsters.
    • When you acquire an item, what it can unlock will be explained.
    And with that much information providing it was introduced in an non intimidating manor they user can go experiment... without any loss of potential... System never gets more complex than those core concepts.
  18. lusciifi

lusciifi Cupcake-About-Town

I'm curious, will raid gear still have random locked stats in the new system or is this something you are trying to move away from?
    Mellkor likes this.
  19. Baconwich

Baconwich Cupcake

I'm not sure what you're looking for here, as far as choice. Why would you not want to craft gear that works well for your character? It sounds more like you want them to scrap class related stats altogether, and go with a completely classless system, so that you can have the choice to wear whatever you want? But then you'd still be gearing for the role you intend to play, and you'd still be limited to the stats that improve what you specifically want to do with your character.

I think you're looking for a completely statless system, maybe?
  20. Mellkor

Nope, i was proving that choice is actually an illusion because devs want a simple system they can parse and normalize. the only saving grace to this approach is if you can pull off great showmanship and deception to players.

Ideally, I would like something along the lines of TSW's crafting where you would get a blank slot item and fit what ever stats you want in them.Weather or not you chose to build your stalker as a crit, pen, or evasion stat-build. all those options were available.

And it sounded like they were doing this to an extent, Make a blank slate then put your stats in. if you like the item you can replace the stats at a later time...

But obviously that's too much for people and they need to put bumper rails all over the place.

What generally ends up happening in these "on rail" systems/games is you will get a certain dungeon or raid and you will require say: 100 dex, 74str 105 end and all the crafting system does is sort out how to divide the stats up among the gear.

Leaving you just like every other stalker with no individuality.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.