1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Mordesh are they space zombies?

Discussion in 'WildStar Races' started by NinjaMortis, Feb 2, 2014.

?

Mordesh space zombie or not

1. Yeah

62.7%
  2. Neah

37.3%
  1. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

2. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Let's just be honest and agree. Mordesh will forever be labeled as space zombies.

Just like Chua will forever be labeled as sociopathic, smelly, flea-infested, deranged, diseased, uncaring, obtrusive, offensive, demanding, offending, lazy, uncoordinated, idiotic, manic, derived little vermin.
    frzn and NinjaMortis like this.
  3. frzn

frzn New Cupcake

I'm going to start calling exile humans "space humans." Maybe it'll become a thing.
    NinjaMortis and Kataryna like this.
  4. NinjaMortis

NinjaMortis New Cupcake

LOL!
  5. Benzecry

Benzecry Cupcake-About-Town

Let us name all of the things "space" .. second dbza reference this week. I'm on a roll..a space roll!

[​IMG]
  6. Valkya

Valkya New Cupcake

SPACE ZOMBIES!
  7. Cozarkian

Cozarkian New Cupcake

For those who want to be literal, based on the original Voodoo concept of a zombie you need to be:

1) dead
    2) reanimated by magic
    3) under the control of the person who reanimated you.

The traditional zombie doesn't take any action that isn't commanded by its creator and it doesn't need to eat flesh. The flesh-eating walking corpses of films and shows like Night of the Living Dead and the Walking Dead are actually better described as ghouls.

That said, the term zombie has evolved in modern storytelling to describe a creature that is driven solely by the desire to eat the flesh of the members of its species that retain their normal intellect. Under this evolved description, the effects of the Contagion are to create space zombies. However, the Mordesh retain their intellect and are NOT space zombies. Rather, they are caught in a transition state and are seeking to avoid becoming full zombies.

In sum, I guess my honest vote would be that they are half-human, half-space ghoul.
    Inukeu, deachem and Anorissa like this.
  8. Valkya

Valkya New Cupcake

LIES! YOU LIE! NOBODY WANTS TO HEAR YOUR ANTI-ZOMBIE PROPAGANDA! lol :p
  9. Akhronus

Akhronus New Cupcake

I'm gonna go with Cannibalistic Leper Space Elves(elf-like ears)
  10. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

They are not Zombies in the sense as their no clear indication that the Mordesh who are already mad are actually dead, and the Mordesh who arn't are clearly not dead. Yes they eat presumably anything they get their hands on (flesh-eaters) but their no clear indication that they are undead.

If anything they fit a L4D/28 days later infected or the Cordyceps fungus infected from Last of Us. They do not fit the bill of Romero styled zombies.
  11. DemosthenesHPW

DemosthenesHPW New Cupcake

At this point, I think they're basically a bio-tech version of the Forsaken from WoW... minus the Lich King trying to control them and turn them into an army to conquer the known world.

Very cool, kind of punk/emo/goth-ish in terms of their customization options (hair and faces, but also the very weird parallel between their "medical equipment" options for their faces and facial piercings in the real world).
  12. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Yes.

Also, I did not read this thread.
  13. t209

t209 Cupcake

I call them a love child of Blood Elf (A former alliance race that defected to Horde and kinda dying) and WH40k's Blood Angels (a badass with a genetic mutation that could turn him into a raving madmen at any moment).
  14. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

As previously mentioned, the sane Mordesh are just patients experiencing extensive necrosis throughout their whole body. This procedure is halted or significantly slowed by applying the serum, but it never reverses.

A bit on necrosis: cells die, due to various reasons such as lack of blood supply and hence oxygen, or specific chemicals etc. Most common cases are probably due to infection of wounds, which triggers the bursting of cells and starts to initiate chain reaction around that part of the body. Normal cell death will activate the immune system to send a clean up crew to re-take the remains of that cell as well as patching it up, without having it influence surrounding cells. In necrosis, this step is not triggered, cell just bursts and whatever's in there gets spilled around intracellular space and trigger chain self-destruction of nearby cells, leading to very rapid death of tissues. Because it never triggers the immuno pathway, the body doesn't re-digest the dead tissue and doesn't repair it.

Examples: Frostbite can often result in necrosis. Actually I guess frostbite IS necrosis due to low temperature by definition. The water in the cell froze and expand, bursting cells, often combined with a cut off from blood supply due to frozen vessels and such, and you get cells dying in patches. Trauma or physical injury often introduces necrosis too, especially with infections. It is really not that rare, although definitely not something that happens on everyone. There are genetic conditions and/or chemical environments that induces necrosis without external stimulus, this is likely the case for the Mordesh after taking the Everlife Elixir.

Treatment: Treatment of necrosis must be fast, first step is find out the cause and try the best to stop it --- i.e, stop the infection with antibiotics, supply blood/oxygen to living tissues, etc. Second step is to surgically take out whatever dead tissue there are. Second step is especially important IF the cause for necrosis isn't straight forward --- if the underlying cause cannot be completely eliminated (i.e. if it's genetic or environmentally induced), then you'd have the chain reaction keep spreading much like cancer cells, so you need to cut it off entirely. That's why a lot of people get an infection, their limb go all black (that's necrosis), and they have to amputate it or die from it. It's worth noting that even if you've stopped the underlying cause completely, the dead tissue remain in your body, doesn't ever get fixed or reabsorbed and may eventually introduce new problems.

So, as you see, the Mordesh are just patients of very severe full body necrosis. Reason for their necrosis is the Everlife Elixir, which likely works by adjusting the cell cycles at multiple stages such that 1) DNA replication doesn't eventually fail due to shortening of strands over years and 2) automatic renewal of previously limited supply of certain cells/functions/organizations as well as 3) many many things that I certainly have no idea about. It's a large project, very very large indeed, and messes with the system at so many different levels that something going wrong is almost guaranteed. Exactly which ingredient or which function of the elixir causes the necrosis, that no one knows and I'm sure Victor is working his ass off trying to figure that out.

The Contagion is a virus/bacteria that seems to be attracted to only the Mordesh, the logical assumption would be that necrosis is the reason that the Contagion can survive. This then mean that Contagion requires dead tissues within living organisms, because even if Mordesh can halt necrosis with the serum, ultimately and little by little the tissues in their body will die from patch to patch and remain in their body. The contagion may specifically target dead tissues in the brain, and once they're in there there's nothing stopping them from doing what they do. The contagion isn't necessarily some advanced virus form, because even some moderate loss of brain cells in selected regions in the brain can lead to severe mental illness such as dementia. So the contagion is just eating away at the Mordesh's brain with a pattern, which makes the host go crazy and blood thirsty. Maybe the Mordesh' subconscious know that something's wrong in their brain and that's why they want to eat others' brains. Or maybe the contagion evolved into triggering this particular act because it then helps their survival by having direct brain matters to feed on. But anyways, they become ravenous, and there's very little you could do --- the brain that's been eaten, has been eaten. There's very little "growing back" that you can do even from a healthy neurological point of view, nevermind the illness state that the ravenous Mordesh are in.

Conclusion: The Mordesh are not dead, neither are the Ravenous Mordesh. They are, however, terminally ill. Especially the Ravenous. Now being a zombie means that you have to 1) die, and then being re-animated and 2) mindless. Simplying satisfy 1 doesn't even count as a zombie, because all undead creatures are essentially that. Now from these clues we see that, "space zombie" can be a nickname to describe either the physical appearance of the Mordesh in general, or the behaviour of the Ravenous. But in the strict sense of the classification they're certainly not zombies.

I have no objection of calling them "space zombies" though, it's like calling bounty hunters "hounds", or calling thieves "rats", it's a nickname that describes a limited characteristic of that group of people, it doesn't need to be taken literally.

Now I'm thinking, I wonder if the Mordesh have tried to reproduce. Two things stand in their way, one is the Everlife Elixir and the other is the Necrosis. As long as their reproductive organs have not been damaged by the necrosis though, they should be able to reproduce (amputated soldiers can still have kids), but since the Everlife Elixir messes with the whole system on a grand level, I don't think even Victor knows how reproduction will be affected. They should do experiments in the name of science (and, you know, keeping the race from extinction), see how that works. :)
    Deadmeat likes this.
  15. Bloodclott

Bloodclott Cupcake

To add onto my earlier comment about the Mordesh not being undead.

In Celestion one of the last areas you visit used to be the Mordesh district of Thayd, you will find Ravenous there trying to kill you with giant hammers (They are in hazmat suits no less). Clearly Ravenous still have some degree of muscle that has not faded away yet considering they are capable of that (Also, the Ravenous in that zone mostly try to murder you with scratches or punches, any ''zombie'' would decay to the point they do not have the ability to do that)

Although we won't truly know how far Ravenous will decay unless the devs have us visit Grismara in the future...
  16. Nunchi

Nunchi Cupcake

Nah, they're definitely space zombies, just don't tell them that though ;)
    edit: I said definition instead of definitely --> kill me now
  17. Kaeret

Kaeret New Cupcake

I think of their condition more in terms of they have a self-inflicted leprosy/necrosis, and that via the glowing goo they now use, it is in a state of dormancy/remission.

They have full use of their faculties (unless they aren't on the goo) and are not dead, whereas zombies are (most often considered to be) mindless, reanimated corpses.
  18. Mahanaxar

Mahanaxar Cupcake

This thread is racist and I'm reporting it to the NAACP (National Association for the Advancement of Corpsified People).
  19. Gingis

Gingis New Cupcake

Well, as Victor Lazarin said, they spend far more time planet-side... So the 'space' denomination may indeed not be correct.

For the rest, science, the Wildstar writers and the Wildstar art team would likely have a vivid exchange. First of all, according to thermodynamics, anything must expend energy to perform actions. Classical D&D zombies and WoW undead solve that by being animated by magic energy (wherever that comes from). But, while there definitely is magic in Wildstar (the Spellslingers), there is no suggestion that the Mordesh' state is supernatural.

That would mean that Mordesh need to be relatively 'normal', their cells merely being in a 'non-standard state' (a bit like a tumor is a different state for a cell) that in some respects resembles dead tissue - the cells would still be alive, though, they just work differently.

So far, a scientific 'explanation' can still be possible, the Everlife Elixir could just have introduced something that looks like an complicated form of a prion disease. This disease may not even need to kill brain cells - it just needs to manipulate neurotransmitter levels in the right brain regions to put the Mordesh into a ravenous rage.

However, any scientific explanations are made hard by the art: apparently, cells have died (hence the fluid-filled cavities), but the problem is that the Mordesh would barely be able to move due to important muscles having withered away, and because diffusion of oxygen and nutrients is too slow without a normal cardiovascular system and the remaining muscles would therefore not have enough energy to function. The Mordesh, as depicted, could only function with a mechanical exoskeleton and a royal supply of batteries. And that is assuming that the brain tissue is immune to the necrosis, and can survive without a functioning digestive system, respiratory system and cardiovascular system. If a brain in a jar can be kept alive, a Mordesh might 'work', scientifically it would however be extremely hard.

Whether the Mordesh are zombies - that basically depends on how you define zombies. Personally, I think the 'essence' of zombies in stories is that they are formerly natural or intelligent creatures that suffer from an irreversible disease that makes them lose their mind. Perhaps the fear of zombies is related to the real-life fear of rabies. An 'effective' zombie basically evokes the fear of disease, the danger of losing one's mind (and social relationships). Zombies are however, probably for dramatic effect, defined some degrees 'worse' than the real-life victims of dementia, brain injury or brain-attacking diseases - they include physical changes like 'being/looking dead', aggression, and contagiousness.

I'd therefore say that the Mordesh would score quite high on the 'zombieness-scale', and since they are also partly glass and mechanical, I might prefer the terms 'science-fiction zombie'/'futuristic zombie' or even just 'zombie' over space zombie.

For D&D fans, dead who still are mostly 'fleshy', are predatory but lack intelligence would indeed better be called 'ghouls/ghasts' (instead of zombies, which are not predatory in D&D, and vampires, which are intelligent) but for regular people who have never heard about D&D ghouls, 'space zombies' or (better) 'science fiction zombies' would be a perfectly defensible term, even though treated Mordesh don't show all the charactistics of a 'full zombie' in deadness and mindlessness.
  20. NigthmareSystem

NigthmareSystem Cupcake-About-Town

Don't trust the Exiles, they are Brainless Zombies!! the dominion should kill them all!