1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Most Overplayed Class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clay, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Clay

Clay New Cupcake

I think it's safe to say the world of Wildstar won't be short on spellslingers
  2. Taher

Taher Cupcake

Doubt there'll be an overplayed class, since they all seem viable in both PvP and PvE.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. Strategeist

Strategeist New Cupcake

They all appear strong. Especially considering variables such as player skill.
  4. Xecks

Xecks Cupcake-About-Town

im guessing engis will be popular.
  5. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

6. MrDreadful

MrDreadful Creepy Cupcake

I'm thinking along these lines, as well. There's a lot of difference in how the classes have to handle things and I'd wager even some of the people who have their minds set pre-launch will try each one on for size.
  7. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

ATM from what we've seen in streams: Esper and Stalker seem to be played most. Stalkers for obvious reasons, and Espers as they require 0 skill to play.
  8. Yazra

Yazra Cupcake

Thats quite a statement being that the games in beta... you would think the warrior would require less skill to play based on past exp in mmo's ( hearty melee combatants that over the years have been given healing abilities for solo and chunk people in pvp )
    Cybrid1984 likes this.
  9. Redbaron

Redbaron New Cupcake

Warriors/fighters/brawlers tend to be the easiest to play, but the hardest to play well. Previously requiring pocket healers in pvp has been a big down fall of theirs. Many streamers have proclaimed the Esper to be the easiest class to play and do very well with.
  10. Khaaan

Khaaan New Cupcake

I am afraid the OP is right: The Spellslinger looks to be the most powerful class at the moment

it will have the highest DPS along with Esper and Stalker (due to the design: the less armor a class has the more damage it can potentially do which was already affirmed by the devs).

He has better mobility than the Esper (maybe the Esper gets even more damage to compensate for the weakness of having to stay in one place for many skills)

He can heal himself which the Stalker cannot.

I still have hopes in the balancing skills of Carbine but we should face the bitter truth that no MMO developer yet has managed to balance a class that combines top end dps with high mobility and selfhealing. The only disadvantage a Spellslinger has is the use of light armor and... well in every MMO I played armor was only good against physical damage which tends to come from sources that are unimportant. That would mean the Spellslinger is the only class to combine EVERY advantage with a single disadvantage that will probably be neglectable.

That said I do think people will take a while to realize the power of the spellslinger and by the time they do... it will probably be nerfed into shape ;)

But then... maybe Wildstar will not be like all the other MMOs ;)
  11. Yazra

Yazra Cupcake

Ah ok :)
  12. Taher

Taher Cupcake

No no no. It doesn't have the highest DPS lol. You forgetting about Stances and Innate abilities? E.G Warriors have a Stance called Juggernaut which boosts their DPS to match other classes, but at a penalty of an armor reduc. Similar with Stalkers, Engis and Medics too I believe. So, judging by this, Wildstar has implemented a system in which sees balance between all the classes without making any overpowered, regardless of what you have seen by skilled players in streams. Just remember that significant factor though, it takes skill to exceed DPS meters in Wildstar, since they all seem viable in both PvE and PvP (Which is what I stated previously in this thread).
  13. zekkdarklighter

zekkdarklighter Cupcake

Well to me it seems like the medic, spellslinger and engineer are the main classes that make this game a sci-fi game, rather than another of the hundreds of fantasy games out there. Sure, all the classes have little thing going for them steering away from common fantasy classes, but for the basics we have the big sword wielding armored guy, sneaky ninja with fist weapons guy, reality warping magicy guy. Then the other three, Gunslinging two pistol desperado magicy guy, short range heavier armored healy dps hybrid guy, and walking tank cannon with pets guy. The first three you can find in almost any mmo currently out there. the second set you can find something similar to in a couple other games (like guildwars 2) but they are deffinitly not staples that are common across the board. So yes, I can see those latter three getting a lot more attention (with the exception of the medic, because that class is so weird it seems to have people a little intimidated to play it).
    Eliat_kuni likes this.
  14. Pascal

Pascal New Cupcake

Well after putting in all my info on the Census. I will be playing the second least used class, Esper! However, it seems mostly its fairly even. Though this is basically just a estimate, I would imagine that the actual would not differ vastly.
  15. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Cupcake

Pve I think it will be the Spellslinger. PvP I think stalker will be most popular. Other than in SWTOR I can't think of a warrior dominant mmo, and that was just the marauder/sentinel. Juggernaut dps was middle of the road. Wow warriors are up and down. It's usually a high skill cap class to be great and with all the splash damage in this game, for PvP warriors are going to need a lot of heals to stay up. Arenas I'm sure they will be fine.
  16. Cybrid1984

Cybrid1984 New Cupcake

Pretty much this person is right.

Here are some examples:

In SWTOR: The warrior has a PVP taunting system similar to Wildstar and is known for being nothing more than a 2 button class. With good CC / good peels / mobility / burst dmg. Even in some matches a warrior can straight up carry the entire match on his own.

In GW2: The warrior has superior mobility / damage as well as damage mitigation, and even if built into it can out heal most dedicated survival classes.

In WoW: I am sure everyone would love them to go back to vanilla when you could sit there n kite a warrior to death with rank 1 frost bolt. Now i don't know how many times second wind or even more of the warriors "utility"-kit has been nerfed/re-nerfed due to its strength.

From what ive seen especially in this game the statement the, "range isn't keeping range" seems to be a bit overzealous for the developers to really boast about especially considering the fact that if you looked at a warriors toolkit you could pretty much make it a nightmare for any range class to even try to keep "range."

Between Leap / Charge / Snare. Your best example would be to watch the lvl50 pappy / frost battle and really notice what the devs used and described as their "strong" classes. There was one duel the warrior literally won by spamming #1 and finished it with the inate for extra measure.

If its one thing ive noticed from watching the streams is that between the dash "charges" and the 2 or more gap closers melee has... needless to say i would LOVE to have someone educate me on how exactly are you supposed to maintain range.
    Mortec likes this.
  17. Hexamus

Hexamus New Cupcake

Well, I know I want to go Spellslinger personally but that wasn't a decision made lightly. In fact, from the information I've gathered without actually playing, this is by far the hardest in class choices I've ever had to make. They're all so well done.

Usually in an MMO my choice is pretty clear cut. It doesn't take a large amount of time to choose the class that seems more desirable to me personally. But as this game offers such free ranged combat and beautifully done skills on EVERY class, its safe to say that my first few hours will be spent at the character creation screen and loving every second.
    Snapdragyn likes this.
  18. Rundo

Rundo Cupcake

Many people seem to think that the Esper is a very immobile class (Carbine is partially to blame for this). But you can deck out your LaS in a way that you only have instant cast abilities and still be very strong in PvP, assault that is, support they are less mobile (PvE is a different story, you want your hardest hitting spells, and you will have at least one spell with a cast time that roots you in place)

In fact, the Spellslinger has 4 stationary spells while the Esper has only 2 (offensive). Though its still beta, and everything can change ;)
  19. MrMikko5000

MrMikko5000 New Cupcake

I'm torn between Spellslinger and Engi myself =/ I've played a warrior in almost every mmorpg I've tried. I think it's time for something new =)
  20. D3athcr33ps

D3athcr33ps Cupcake

I'm going to say that 3's arena teams will be:
    1.Warrior/esper/engineer
    2. Warrior/medic/ engineer
    3.Stalker/esper/spellslinger
    4. Stalker/stalker/stalker or Engineer/engineer/engineer

Reasoning:
    1. Warrior has sustained damage, esper has CC and healing and engineer has on demand burst.
    2. Same premise as #1, but medic is tankier than esper and has despells. More of an outlast team.
    3. Two high burst classes and a CC healer. This comp will have to be really aggressive with good communication.
    4. Triple dps teams that can just pop cooldowns and zerg down a team will be prevalent in early season pvp. This will be more common in low rank games.

I feel the ranged squishy classes won't be as good in arenas but will do really well in battlegrounds and warplots. All in all classes will have a niche and should be looked at in conjunction with other classes, not just solo OP.