1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Most Overplayed Class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clay, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Outlaw

Outlaw Cupcake-About-Town

If that were the case, then I'd just fight from melee range on my Spellslinger and not worry about all those pesky ranged telegraphs. Even though I'll be playing a ranged class, and I like topping charts in raids, I have to agree, that for the sake of being fair, melee dps should be just a bit higher than ranged DPS in an "ideal" melee environment.
  2. Todhaseo

Todhaseo New Cupcake

This is what im worried about in most mmo's is the whole "class advantage" Thing alot of mmo's tend to do things like that where 1 or 3 classes are better than the other til a certain balance patch comes in to make other classes better.
  3. SoaperStool

SoaperStool New Cupcake

The problem is that if there are more ranged only telegraphs then melee only ones, then ranged can just go melee. If there are more melee telegraphs then ranged telegraphs, melee just have to suck it up.

If that's truly the case, and that is enough to make them equal dps then that's fine, I just find that hard to believe. By doing this though, you also introduce the same problem that tanks have - You really have no idea what you have to and don't have to avoid, and you end up playing this silly hundred death trial and error game trying to figure out what telegraphs you can stay in on. Also, ranged usually ends up being a better defense than armor.

The goal should be for Warriors/Engineers to be equally as desirable end game dpsers as Spellslingers/Espers. In other words Warriors/Engineers should come out on top just as often as Spellslingers/Espers. Obviously that most likely won't be the case, as balance is always tricky, but that should be the goal. Intentionally making Warriors/Engineers underpowerd/less desirable - even if it's just 5% - isn't a good way to balance the game.

I agree, it's just difficult. I've never seen a game that has successfully designed raid encounters that hinder ranged as much as they hinder melee though, so I'm skeptical, especially when they say melee are supposed to be 5% worse to begin with.

The only way I've seen games effectively limit range without limiting melee is by
    1) Making it so that Ranged can't cast on the move(Wildstar seems to be vehemently against this)
    2) Introducing a lot of "Don't Stop Moving" or "Run around in a circle to avoid this spinning lazer" mechanics that require movement without forcing melee out of melee range.
    3) Requiring a large percentage of the raid to stand at range(via some one shot mechanic if too many people get too close or something) while having significantly more ranged mechanics than melee mechanics.

There's only so many of those mechanics you add without getting repetitive, and Wildstar seems to want to allow ranged to cast on the move(even if it's not they're hardest hitting abilities).

On the other hand, there's quite a few mechanics that limit melee without limiting ranged
    1) Spread out mechanics
    2) Telegraphs that are slow enough that you don't have to dodge to avoid
    3) Telegraphs that force you to dodge away from the boss(these affect ranged too, but ranged can start dpsing as soon as their dodge animation ends, whereas melee still have to run back into melee or waste a gcd on some kind of gap closer/ranged attack)
    4) General boss movement
    5) Long range target switches

and several of those are common in most - if not all - end game fights.
    Naris likes this.
  4. Equinox

Equinox New Cupcake

So in general...the tank type classes aren't really heavy DPS except stalker? Or am I getting the wrong impression from this thread? I hoped to roll warrior to be an OT and main DPS...is it balanced enough for that or should I be considering stalker instead?
  5. Ncolic

Ncolic New Cupcake

There shouldnt be any difference in design goal on the balance of class dps. Reality will of course be different since its almost impossible to balance everything perfectly and the skill cap / latency will impact the dps in this game alot more than the class choise.

Also remember that a Stalker is a proper tank, and esper and spellslinger are healing classes, they just happens to be able to dps as well. So i dont expect any one class to be designed to dish out higher dps than the rest.
  6. Weeablade

Weeablade New Cupcake

I wouldn't be surprised by an overabundance of spellslingers.
  7. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm not so sure about overabundance of spellslingers. I still think Medics will become popular. They seem to be a perfect middle ground.

Espers have seemed to move to a stationary caster class from the latest videos of beta. In a game where mobility means a lot to survivability, this puts an Esper at a terrible disadvantage. Mostly because the Esper's main ranged builder is stationary from what we see on the videos. They also seem to have fewer snares (referring to http://ws-base.com/ ) as they progress through levels.

Warriors are big and tough and seem to have the best of everything with a number of crowd controls and gap closers. Yet I wonder if some people will find mostly melee attacks a little limiting in pvp? The stalker has stealth, but it also is a melee forced class. Engineers are longer ranged and heavy armor yes, but for people who like being mobile they might find the movement reduction on attacking as a little annoying.

Medics seem to have a lot of cone attacks, making aiming easy where the Spellslinger has a lot of long ranged, but line telegraphs. The medic also has more armor, medium compared to light. Likewise, the neatest thing is still the ability to do damage and heal at the same time. Though Spellslingers also have access to one ability that does this.

Actually, the more I look at it, it appears that Espers are the ones that are going to be at the lower end of things. Spellslingers have mobile builders and mobile attacks. Medics are highly mobile. Espers are restricted. Both spellslingers and medics have access to an ability that heals and damages, where the esper doesn't.
  8. Vendetta

Vendetta New Cupcake

I think people should try not to bring our mmo stereotypes to WS. I feel that many people will like all classes equally. I feel that carbine has done a great job in creating strong classes. Let's look at the slinger and the warrior classes. The spellslinger will be your outlaw, the try and catch me class. That doesn't mean the warrior is at all boring. People like to speak about the warriors dps and it being under balanced. Wait for the game to come out. I have a feeling when people get to spec the warrior at higher levels. The warrior will be a force to reckon with. A melee class that can kick people back, then leap, or double leap, then cable pull, or shoot a rocket....mmmmmm.... Sounds fun to me.. I think those people who take the classes that don't have all the hype will be the most satisfied at the end of the day. Don't get me wrong. I think everyone will find happiness in their choice, but not everybody can play every class well. I myself have always played melee classes, and hated getting kited like most, but that's what makes you better, play something your not used to. I never played a ranged class. I was set on the spellslinger, but started looking at videos, and decided I will try the esper. However, as I keep doing research, the medic looks good, the engineer looks good. I don't know what the rest of you will play, but I look forward to see how the classes shine at launch, and I hope you all find the class for you.
  9. Domi Dayglow

I was always drawn to the Esper. Yet the class looks like one that will be hampered by so many stationary powers. I still have plans for my Esper, but I probably will be disappointed. I've plans for a spellslinger and medic. Maybe those will be better.

Just that the concept of a stationary caster seems like they would be at a disadvantage in a game where mobility is so important.
  10. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

I see it as a class that can be hard to master! But when you do you'll see in the charts!
    Knowing when to cast a long casting spell, knowing when to use short casting spells, knowing when you can stand still, when to save your CC etc. etc. etc.

Once you've mastered it you will see the fruits!

Seeing as those stationary spells usually deal more damage on an avarage then other spells.

I think this is one of those classes where skill makes more of a difference then other classes. Although it must be said that if you can't aim then the difference in a good/bad SS will be obvious aswell :D

Ca you imagine a SS jumping to stunn you, just to have it completely off :laugh: and to top it off he hits a creature instead! :roflamo:
  11. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I'm relatively new to following Wildstar so probably don't have the full picture, but that is the very clear impression I have from hearing devs talk about it in various videos. Repeated comments to the effect that they take more skill to play but have more potential.

Personally I'm more drawn to the Esper thematically so I'll play them regardless. But if they have designed Spellslingers as superior but harder to play than other classes and keep saying that, then we may end up drowning in them.
  12. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

After watching a bunch of Spellslinger gameplay vids today I have to admit I'm now tempted to try them. I really like what they've done with the spellcharge mechanic and they look like a lot of fun to play.
  13. Vamark

Vamark New Cupcake

I've always been more of a ranged kind of guy, and initially I was sure I would main a Spellslinger. I love the animations, and the rough and tumble aspect of the class just fit. However, for whatever reason I never want to play the super popular class. I'd rather play the less popular class, master it and try to help others get a hang of the class. I'm just like that, don't ask me wyy. So, I'm not sure if I'll main a Spellslinger, simply because it does seem to be a very popular class, and appears to be one of the strongest classes among the selection.

The Medic looked interesting, but I think the basic attack animation would bore me too much. The Engineer looks quite interesting, so that one I'm considering. The Esper has caught my attention as of late. As of right now, I honestly have no idea what I'm going to main. However I do agree that there will likely be a lot of Spellslingers, at least at launch.
  14. Screenager

Screenager Cupcake-About-Town

going to come out and call it as spellslinger. ;)
  15. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

At first, I was drawn to engineer. Range, high armor, and the stated theme of survivability to compensate for lower DPS numbers meant I would have some room to be lazy when being a DPS while playing what looked like the safest class to learn combat mechanics on. Only problem is that the very thought of all that safety now seems as boring as playing godmode in most games.

For the most part, I'm kinda glad the classes I'd want to play aren't the classes that seem most popular right now, but I suppose there's very good reason for that given that all three of them get limited by range (warrior, stalker) and mobility (esper). On the other hand, stalkers and warriors do both have their share of gap closers and minor ranged skills, and espers have some level of skills useable on the move, so it's not too bad. I also think that melee will have harder-hitting mobile skills to compensate for what ranged combatants have some sort of constant mobile damage output.

With that being said, I'm in with the spellslinger crowd as what will be the most popular class off the bat. However, I expect that not to last very long between players adapting to particular mechanics and devs tweaking where they need to.
  16. mulmet

mulmet New Cupcake

If you go by class popularity in other themepark MMO's and different RPGs then Warriors, Paladins, Mages and Rangers are always the most popular classes with things like Pet classes, Clerics, Monks and Rogues being less popular.

Since the traditional formula doesn't exactly translate into Wildstar it'll be hard to tell (the Engineer is a pet class in heavy armor for instance which is unusual).

If I was a guessing man though I'd say it'd look something like this:

Spellslingers are going to be extremely, extremely, popular. It's a combination of the first and third most popular classes of general RPGs the Ranger and the Mage.

Warriors are going to be popular, they always are.

Esper won't be very popular unless the community starts seeing it as a Mage rather than a cleric.

Medic will probably be fairly popular considering it's got it's Paladin/Shaman/Monk think going on and it's the most mobile healer with the most survivability.

Stalker will be the least popular class. Probably not right away, but eventually people will get fed up with it just like they have with rogues in every other game.

Engineer is hard to tell. Pet classes are generally not popular, but the Engineer seems to have gathered a lot of interest in the community.
  17. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I don't see it as either. I've played so many games that don't have mage or cleric classes, or obvious analogues thereof that I take each class in a new MMO for what it is.

Esper's are only cleric'y in that they wear light armour and heal. Same as Spellslinger. Beyond that their theme and abilities are quite different. Plus their resource management is most similiar to WOW / Rift rogues.
  18. Domi Dayglow

Based on their roles, which do you think will be the most popular classes? The most popular tanks? Most popular healers?

I kind of feel the Medics will be the most popular healer. Not just for the name, but they are also the most mobile of the healing classes.

Likewise, engineers will probably be really popular for tanks. Especially at first. A ranged tank class? That also has pets?! Many people will say Yes, please!
  19. Raarsi

Raarsi Cupcake

For healers, it would make sense for Medics to be the most popular healers off the bat, but my guess is that over time, they'll lose that position once either their mobility gets nerfed to some extent or (the more likely case) one of the other healing classes pulls up bigger healing numbers to compensate for their lack of mobile healing.

As for tanks, I'd wager Warriors to become the most popular once people actually get a better grasp on them, but it looks right now like the typical MMO standard of tanks not being the least popular role, so I'd rather not look at those numbers just yet. I also have a feeling that tanks in Wildstar will be like tanks from the BC days in WoW: one good for boss tanking, one good for trash tanking, and one good for tanking AoE packs; and whichever sort of those enemy types will be the most pressing will determine the most popular tank.

With DPS, it already looks like Spellslingers will be on top and stay there unless something cataclysmic happens to their damage output.
  20. Academy

Academy New Cupcake

Not sure why anyone is saying the stalker will be the most overplayed class considering the rogue/assassin archetype is more often than not the least played class in mmorpgs. Half the people that even role a stalker will be those players that just want an easy OP faceroll class for pvp, when really rogue type classes are often the hardest to master, so these players will soon reroll.

Spellslinger and Medic will be the most overplayed classes. Why? Well for one healers are more popular than tanks and both of these classes can heal. Two, ranged classes are generally more favored over melee classes. And three these classes are very dynamic and different when compared to other mmorpgs.