1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Most Overplayed Class

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by Clay, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Cananh

Cananh Cupcake

I don't know what your mmo experience is but I played WOW at launch on a PvP server and we were drowning in rogues, hunters and paladins in approx equal measure. They made up over half our roster. Rogues were especially loved by PvP'ers. Being able to stalk and ambush other players is an advantage that can be difficult to beat. Especially if you wait until the player is eg. engaged in combat with mobs, low on health etc.

So I'd expect Stalkers to be popular at least on WS's PvP servers.
  2. Vors

Vors New Cupcake

From everything I've seen from live-stream it seems that Spellslingers have the most narrow telegraphs with some of their attacks which mean harder "skill shots" and also harder to mange innate ability as it's not a just a cooldown like other classes but a resource bar.

Their innate has to be used wisely on the right abilities and turned off when not needed not just spam all the moves you can because you have a cooldown going.

So between more skill shots and a innate that you can't just set and forget I think the Spellsinger will be harder to play (or play well) then people may think.

Although I'm sure people are currently in love with the super mobile space cowboy and will try it at launch I honestly think that some lesser players will drop it for a class that has larger telegraphs and a straight up cooldown as the innate.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

Stalkers, or any stealth class in any game, will always be popular especially at first. Mostly due to everyone wanting to be a stealthy ninja assassin stalker to fulfill some long lost dream.

Likewise, Warriors are like, meta and potatoers? (Yes, that's how potatoes are spelled in Arboria!) Anyway, they will be relatively common simply because it's a familiar name.

After a while. I still think Engineers will emerge as the most popular tanking class with Medics coming out as the most popular healing class. Or, well. non-melee class period.
  4. nennafir

nennafir New Cupcake

The most played classes will be the ones that are always most played....thief, fighter, and wizard...to use D&D nomenclature. People seem to gravitate toward those regardless of their ability or how effective these classes are in any particular game. Of course, because people gravitate to them, and because people complain if things are gimped, the thief, fighter, and wizard classes in ANY mmo tend to be perfectly viable. Otherwise, the developers have too many people complaining.

So in Wildstar, stalker, warrior and spellslinger will be most played. You are deluding yourself if you think otherwise. I have been at practically every major (and many minor!) MMO launch, and these are always the most played.

Least played will be engineer and esper. Engineer because people don't want techie classes mucking up their fantasy. Yes, this even holds when you have a techie sci-fi MMO like Wildstar. Esper because it gives off tones of being a crowd-control mesmer type of class (even if it is not!) and those are never popular pve-wise (but are always middling popular pvp--even if everyone is complaining that esper has no mobility now.)

Medic will be a heal bot, even if there are other specs for it. This is just the power of names. If a given medic is not a heal bot, people will complain about it. It will be played by a middling amount of people. These will include those who always play heal bots, and those who try to play offensive dps-oriented heal bots that no party/team actually wants.
  5. Priest

Priest New Cupcake

I'll just say you're very, very, very wrong.
  6. jedc22

jedc22 New Cupcake

imo:

stalker=assasin
    Engineer= Powertech
    Spellslinger=Sorcerer
    Medic Mercenary (heal spec)
    Esper Operative (heal spec)
    Warrior=Juggernaut

given this impression, i think id like the engineer, spellslinger, and the medic. i think engi will be most popular tank, medic most popular healer and spellslinger most popular DPS :p
  7. nennafir

nennafir New Cupcake

We can compare notes 6 months from now, but I'm not wrong.

And this is coming from someone who played lots of offenders in CoX... If devs name a class "Medic" people expect it to be a heal-bot. That's just that and there is nothing else really happening....
  8. Felion

Felion Cupcake-About-Town

I would agree with your general suggestion, that the standard warrior/mage/rogue will always be most popular in an mmo. However, this is assuming the mass make decisions based on high level concept over play style OR based on assumption of play styles which are somewhat truthful. Two situations will lead to a disturbance here: 1) play styles are noticeably different that many players will have to choose regardless of high level concepts and 2) archetypes are no longer valid, assumptions can't be made clearly.

Stalkers and warriors, oh yeah there'll be lots of them, especially stalkers I think. But it is too soon to say they'll "dominate" the population charts. Between spellslinger and esper, it's hard to decide who's the "mage" --- Esper uses "Mind" so it's not pure elemental/arcane magic, but then again spellslinger uses pistols and that's obviously not pure magic either. So I don't think it's going to be very clear-cut even at a conceptual level. Plenty of other mmos have shown us that when you throw in a bunch of mage/sorcerer type characters (void/arcane/fire/ice/lightning/psych/kinetic/holy/nature/demonic/etc) each focusing on a different "force" or "style", it ultimately boils down the play style and strength of the class.

Medic is shaping up to be a do-all character, mobile, able to cc/heal/damage often at the same time, it is going to be very appealing to the PvP crowd. Think paladins in WoW. The mobility alone will attract a lot of players, flashing back and forth and all. I'm guessing the number will keep climbing due to people quickly realizing that medics are just healing combat rogues until they nerf the class somehow (which would be difficult, since the design concept of the class already states mobile+heal+damage+cc...).

Engineer can't be simply overlooked, you made a claim that "even if it is a sci-fi mmo, engineers break the immersion" --- I honestly don't see how you come up with that point. I mean I get it, machine and stuff, details and science stuff, they might be reminding too much of reality. But in a sci-fi setting that is already an extension of these knowledge? If someone can wrap his/her mind around the sci-fi part, intrinsically he/she should not have a problem with the concept of the engineer. Now, looking at playstyle --- The Wildstar engineer is the only pet class, ranged too, holding a gigantic rifle. Tanking abilities aside, it will attract many players simply due to the pet part. And then again due to the rifle part. I don't think there will be a lack of Engineers, it resembles too much of the typically hunter/ranger with the added benefit of heavy armor.

I think it's going to be so close that we can't say for sure which classes will dominate. Keep in mind that there are only 6 classes to begin with unlike the 10-12 of other mmos nowadays. So each class is likely going to land in the 10%-20% range.
  9. BlueDragon18

BlueDragon18 Cupcake-About-Town

10. Felion

11. Karnaj

Karnaj New Cupcake

You only say that because there is no such thing as an uncontaminated Chua. They all have fleas!!!
  12. Priest

Priest New Cupcake

NDA dropped. You can think whatever you like and bring in whatever anecdotal evidence you choose. I've been in Wildstar beta from the start and have seen first hand what medics can do dps wise. No one is going to cry about having a dps medic in their party. I don't care what experience you have from other games that you think translates...it doesn't.
  13. Bnol

Bnol Cupcake-About-Town

Empowering Probes > All
  14. Felion

That rings truth! But I heard exile humans have fleas too, must have been the dumpster where they picked out their jewlries. :D
  15. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

You know since the first pre-order weekend is over I was wondering what the most common class was that everyone kept bumping into? Or which class they seemed to see the least of?

I saw bunches of Espers and a fair number of engineers and medics. Behind them I saw stalkers and spellslingers a lot. I was kind of surprised that I didn't see that many warriors.
  16. kyle walters

kyle walters New Cupcake

I think everybody loves the flashy classes and ignores the big dude with the sword. Much like in WoW
  17. Iymala

Iymala New Cupcake

I saw mostly Medics in pvp this last weekend, and for good reason with how well the class performs there. Other than that I saw a pretty even distribution.
  18. JaeKin

JaeKin New Cupcake

This is a fairly loaded question because it takes zero consideration into what people are using as their influence on choosing: pvp, pve, preference, what you saw streamed, and so on. One thing that has always impressed me about MMOs is that between pvp and pve'ers, they rarely recognize that the other side exists. The reality is that usually a person prefers one of those things to exclusion, and what people prefer for one side rarely matches the other. Arguments can be made for the effectiveness of a class in those roles, but many people's choices (including my own) are just based off aesthetics, I'll learn to play the class the best I can regardless how good other's perceive it.

While I'm sure you'll see some classes represented more than others, I think most people will just play what they enjoy and in the end it will be a fairly even balance.
  19. filanwizard

filanwizard Cupcake-About-Town

The greatest challenge is that the stealth class is always great in PVP. Especially open world where stealth just like in stealth airplanes or romulan ships in Star Trek... The one who cannot be seen gets to chose the conditions of which the fight starts.

That said I doubt many guilds will be purely PVP guilds and this means we will need class division. Even if you are purely PVP and only run on a PVP server and only gank people or deny questing areas you always want a highly varied force. Not only to counter anything but to be safe from future swings of the nerf bat.
  20. Brackets

Brackets New Cupcake

I think that may have been the case some time ago, but it's not anymore. For example, Priests in WoW were once only considered healbots. If you were Shadow, you were either wrong or a mana battery. Nobody took Shadow for damage.

Currently, however, that has changed. If you say you are a priest, yes, the person might expect a healer, but if they ask "Holy or Disc?" and you say "Shadow" their response will now likely be "sweet" instead of "L2P nub"