1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Multipathing

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by SiegaPlays, Jun 17, 2012.

1. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

While I can see WildStar having a good replay value choosing both different paths and different classes for alts, I would have liked to see something about selecting path every session instead.

So instead of having a character set on one specific path the rest of its life, one can select the path for the session for the character and have some flexibility for what one is in mood for.

Alternatively a sort of legacy pathing, giving other toons on the account access to unlocked paths. I am thinking along the lines of SWTOR legacy concept. That characters can inherit substance from other characters on the same account. However I would have prefered a couple of other things on top of those SWTOR got, like a maxed out craft to become globally accessable, but that is another matter intirely :p

I am more inclined to like the first solution, session pathing, since people who does not do alts would feel less left out, and it appears to me as the solution that requires less developement work :p

This is not going to stop me wanting to play WildStar, I'd be ok with alting out, I am so used to it, - at least 4 toons in every game - but it would be awesome to be able to build one character in depth again (haven't been able to since my ranger on EQ1, who mastered all crafts except tinkering), even if accessing different path parts requires a new session.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Well, having session paths certainly fits with their mantra of playing your way, but how would you propose it worked? Would your skill from the previous session path be lost or would you retain it? If you retain it, then you will eventually have characters that know every single path and therefore no diversity, so not sure I like that option. The way it stands now, you have to have an explorer to find certain paths in the environment. If you have characters that know every path, they do not need anyone.

I like the idea of legacy pathing where alts get a bonus of some type if your main has reached a certain level, like SWTOR. I just hope they implement it a little differently in that your main can only hand down it's legacy to one character so it is more like an apprentice relationship and not a family relationship.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Perhaps I'd be more inclined to support an idea like this if the majority of the content (70 to 80%) was not Path specific and that content was specifically locked to certain Paths.

I really think we need to see more what Path XP does for the characters' Path abilities before saying that a character may be missing out - we may find that a group of Explorer, Scientist, Soldier and Settler can all work together so each gets 100% of all content, by opening up access to each others' content (and the XP merely opens up new tools or each to make it easier/grant deeper access to content).

We've already seen examples that a Soldier's Holdout foes can be fought by everyone and an Explorer's secret routes can be used by those with him/her.