1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Multiple Paths?

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by azmundai, May 27, 2013.

1. azmundai

azmundai Well-Known Cupcake

Has this been suggested or talked about?

It's not a huge deal for me as I am likely to have many alts, but what if when you max out a path, you get to choose another? and then another? etc ...

I never really payed much attention to the Bartles thing because ... I kinda like to do just about everything :)
  2. Blade

Blade Cupcake

No, you choose race/class/path and that's what you are.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

There was mention on an earlier video (the specifics escape me) of a "prestige" Path - an additional Path-like experience at level cap. Just that it had been discussed though internally, no specifics.
    Rumze likes this.
  4. Blade

Blade Cupcake

Might be an upgraded version of each path once you max it out.
  5. azmundai

cool. yea im not sure it really matters to me as I will most likely accomplish it through alts, but some people dont like alts but might want to be able to check out the other paths, especially explorer I imagine everyone likes to explore a bit at times, even if it isn't their main thing.
  6. Blade

Blade Cupcake

I'm not sure if my main will be a scientist or settler. I'll need more info, but right now I'm leaning towards scientist (I want to get my Metroid Prime scanning fix in). :)

I figure I'll just use alts for the other paths.

In most games I play alts to play different classes. In this, I don't really care much about the class, I just want to work on path stuff. :)
  7. Sawpaw

Sawpaw Cupcake-About-Town

Call me cynical but I think part of the reason they made paths the way they did is to make us reroll to be able to see the different content, and by doing so keep us playing the game longer *Ching Ching*. It reminds me of SWTOR in that sense and their different class storys, in which you also needed to reroll to see them all. This is great for people who like alts, but can be annoying to those who would rather just play one character and stick with it. So yeah, as someone who would rather just play one char it would be great if I could do more than one path on it, but I don't see that happening for a number of reasons.
    azmundai likes this.
  8. azmundai

Thats an interesting take.

My take is .. while developers look for ways to add replayability, its generally the producers who do stuff like you are talking about. SWTOR being a different case in some respects because LA while not the producer exactly is a marketing machine in it's own right so I wouldn't put it past them to think that way.

Maybe I am naive or accommodating but I think a developer would be more prone to opening up the paths to more than one class (assuming they know something else I don't know about why it shouldn't be this way) ...
  9. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

I had no clue about this. This would be an excellent idea!
  10. Sonntam

Sonntam Cupcake-About-Town

I don't think this will be a huge issue, since if you want to check out content of the other Path you can just find a buddy of a different Path and group up. It would work especially with the Explorer, Warrior and the Scientist, I think.

The Settler may be the only odd one out. It's a Path you can reap the benefits from, but you will never quite have the same strategical decisions as to where you want to put stuff and whether it's worthwhile to maintain certain structures or create something entirely new.
  11. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah I've thought about this a bit. All the paths look so awesome I want to have them all on my main. I don't want to miss out on anything. It definitely will drive me to create alts, and if that's their intent then they will succeed. I want to kill all the things, but do jumping puzzles also. Just makes me wonder what reason is there to limit it to one per character. It is after all 'the way I want to play'.
  12. Aladen

Aladen Cupcake

With regard to the popularity of classes.

I looked at various forums, read a variety of topics, read a comment on YT and you will see that the most popular Settlers Path as this time. Right after him is a scientist. Hmmm somehow I've never been attracted to the building, I prefer adventure, travel, etc. so I chose the Explorer, which does not enjoy great popularity. Maybe just as well?

It is interesting that each of us has a path, which suits him, is his style. That's why everyone in Wildstar offers something for everyone. We do not know too well how it will look Our Path. I have in mind, whether it is owned lvl etc. For this we have to wait.

Playing with time will grow, and authors will be added the new concent. We have to wait, but the discussion of this issue seems to be interesting.

I'm totally against combining paths. And as you say ($_$) you will need to create alts to know other path. For me, it's a good option, try out new race, class, etc.
    Shapy likes this.
  13. Dualist

Dualist Cupcake-About-Town

It would kind of kill cooperative play. If I can open that door, why do I need a scientist friend? If I can summon some hoverbikes, what use do I have with a settler? Giving people one area to specialize in makes things a little more special.
    Sera Serenity and Tayle like this.
  14. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Because they actually want you do play with other people, I know it a scary thought to actually interact with others in an MMOrpg.

I'm not trying to be malicious btw.
    Kataryna likes this.
  15. Shapy

Shapy Cupcake

Just imagine you have all paths at once, it probably drives you crazy. Tons of quests showing up every 10 feet :D Also having just 1 path forces you to group up with ppl to achieve <REDACTED> and stuff. I kinda like the way the handle it right now. Still there arent so much informationen about the paths anyway.
    Aladen likes this.
  16. UNDERZZZZZ

UNDERZZZZZ Cupcake-About-Town

If the game was designed with that logic we wouldn't have solo play. I think there are other ways to promote interaction without limitation of content
  17. Jojin

Jojin Cupcake-About-Town

I think a lot has to do with what people think they can do with a Settler. Specifically the video where they show and say a settle can make a taxi point and mounts for his/her friends.

In all as new information is released and showing different light on each path, the popular vote will sway until we have final information on all the details of each class.
  18. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

It's not limiting content if you "can" do it, but just not solo.
  19. Sera Serenity

Sera Serenity Cupcake-About-Town

I must admit I would not be keen on one toon being able to take more than one path, pretty much for the same reason Dualist lists, in terms of the impact on group dynamics..
  20. BlindSear

BlindSear Super Cupcake

On top of everything mentioned, they've said that all players will have access to similar quests for each path, so you'll be able to do a little bit of jumping puzzles and opening secret doors, and killing things... lots of killing things, also gathering things to build stuff, so you won't be missing out on those experiences, but you just get more of the one you like. On top of that, they've claimed to have way more content than what you need to level. This means an alt can play entirely differently from your main, possibly by the third alt you won't want to kill stuff anymore, so you skip the soldier path. Or you're sick of double jumping (I don't think that could ever happen... but... yah know...) so you don't roll an explorer. I suppose we'll have to wait and see if the variety is enough to satiate players from having to roll at least 4 alts each.