1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Multiple raid modes confirmed, what do you think?

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by John, Feb 22, 2013.

?

Which do you prefer?

1. One raid difficulty

87 vote(s)
    54.7%
  2. Two raid difficulties

72 vote(s)
    45.3%
  1. John

John "That" Cupcake

Me personally I was really disappointed to hear that they have Normal and Expert. Having 2 version of the same boss really kills the lore and immersion for me, it just doesn't make sense.

I would have liked raids to be more persistent in their logic. Having 2 versions makes it feel like the world is catering to the gamer, trying to make it easy for them, whereas just 1 raid its like 'this is what it is, either you can beat me or you can't'. I really liked that authenticity that one raid brings.

Edit: Scooter has clarified that there are 2 modes for dungeons only, not raids.
  2. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

They were talking about dungeon difficulties.
    Joukehainen, Black Wolf and Kataryna like this.
  3. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

But they didn't say they had multiple modes for raids, that answer was for dungeons. I think you're jumping to conclusions here.

As for dungeons themselves, I've always been fine with having a max-level heroic version to run when I'm gearing up for raids. It's one of those stepping-stones of progression.
    Crimzen likes this.
  4. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

I would prefer normal mode that could go expert under certain circumstances, but if the main effort of Carbines is about everything out in the open world running with a lot of tweaked and new thinking on how to avoid burnout in day to day content, then two version of group instances is not a game breaker for me.
  5. John

John "That" Cupcake

Well I hope your right, but they seem to be using the term 'dungeon' to also refer to raids if you read through that Q&A.
  6. Guide

Guide Well-Known Cupcake

It was just categorized for both topics. The question was "Are there going to be more than one difficulties for the same dungeon?"
  7. John

John "That" Cupcake

Yes but the question right before that is:

They clearly refer to a raid as a dungeon here. I really hope I am overreacting and I'm wrong, maybe someone from Carbine can clarify.
    Joukehainen and Khrusky like this.
  8. Ingsoc

Ingsoc Cupcake-About-Town

They seem to be using the terms "dungeon" and "raid" interchangeably in that Q&A, so for now we'll have to suffer with some ambiguity. At some point I am sure they will address our questions and concerns regarding raid sizes and difficulties, considering the frequency with which those topics come up here.

Regarding the OP, I am fine with multiple raid difficulties. I never really understood the argument of immersion breaking. You're already killing the same bosses in the same raids week after week. Isn't that already breaking your immersion?

I'm not saying I want easy mode anything, but having a "normal" and an "expert" difficulty, in addition to leader boards, will allow the best players in the world to truly distinguish themselves while still keeping content accessible.
    Mudfin likes this.
  9. John

John "That" Cupcake

You right that killing the same boss multiple times does break immersion...I guess its just a personal threshold, and for me 2 difficulties crosses that. And obviously I have to be realistic enough to say that if everything a player killed in the game never respawned the world would die very quickly :)
    Simply put, I consider respawns necessary for any MMO to work so I am ok with that, whereas multiple raid difficulties are not essential for an MMO to work.
  10. Hope

Hope Cupcake-About-Town

Yeah it wasn't really clear.

Either way, making content accessible to a wider range of players is hardly a bad idea. Casuals can enjoy normal difficulty while the truly hardcore can go straight to expert. The rest can progress normal => expert at their own pace.

Pretty simple, more happy players = more subscribers.

Besides, the most recent Uplink Analysis hints that there will be plenty of challenging content and opportunities for competition.
  11. Mouseknuckle

Mouseknuckle Cupcake

The main reason I've never really enjoyed multiple raid difficulties is that its just been done poorly. They just rev up the stats up the bosses and add maybe an ability or two. If the the harder mode was not only harder but also changed the way every boss functions, outside of these two extra abilities. Add new boss mechanics and tactics or change up how the encounter works in general would be awesome.
    Evion likes this.
  12. John

John "That" Cupcake

The idea of accessibility sounds good on paper, it never seems to work in practice. You try to cater to everyone and you end up with a safe, bland, boring game that no one really loves. WoW is exhibit A of an MMO that has steadily sunk as they have tried to 'diversify' their demographic by making things more accessible.
    Ive said this before, more than anything I just hope WS is a gamers game, not the fringe, casual players game. There are enough other gaming options out there for people who want that style of play.
  13. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Welp, I can see how the answers are confusing a bit... but I also asked the question and as far as the sizes go, the answer that the different raid sizes are different raids, not re-tuned versions of the same raid.

But I'm guessing that's not the part we're stuck on, but rather difficulty modes. That, sadly, I did not get clarification on :(

However the thing to keep in mind is Carbine is going to award skill. They do it in the open world with questing, where skill challenges pop up and you can do things like double- and triple-kill! And the same thing in the raids, they said they will reward the players who complete it handsomely - but they will reward the players who complete it *better* even more handsomely!

So I think that's where the skill modes come in... it doesn't have to be a regular setting and a "turbo" setting. Just do the dungeon/raid better and get the corresponding achievements/bonuses/rewards!
    Black Wolf likes this.
  14. Mouseknuckle

Mouseknuckle Cupcake

I just gotta ask, how are different sizes of the same raid not just a re-tuned version? I'm not that all raid sizes function this way, but when theirs no difference from mechanics its just re-tuned to me.

It sounds great to have a reward system for completing a boss. The problem is though how they reward you, and what makes the how 'skill' based to satisfy the 'hardcore'.
  15. Witless

Witless "That" Cupcake

I definitely like the sentiment of making a gamers game, but I don't think it's a feasible business option anymore. There seem to be a helluva lot more mainstream folks playing these games now. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Although I too wish for a gamers game like EQ, AC, AO etc..
  16. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

he means that one raid will be 40man, and another raid will be 20man, not one raid with both 20 AND 40man versions.
  17. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

They are two different raids. A 20 man and a 40 man. In other words, you go to different places to do them.

If it's anything like the open world questing, it's going to be through skill challenges and efficiency... maybe even speed.
  18. Scooter

Scooter Carbine Studios

Dungeons and raids are two different things, so I apologize if the answers got a bit confusing. What we meant to say was:

1) Dungeons currently have two difficulties. One you'll be able to play while you're leveling, the other you can attempt at the level cap.
    2) Each raid is designed for 1 raid size; you won't be running the same content with two different-sized raid groups. That is, a 40-man raid is a totally different map/content/zone than a 20-man raid.
    F8L Fool, Glacius, Khrusky and 17 others like this.
  19. Elthic

Elthic Cupcake-About-Town

Glad to hear that raids will have a set number of people, and not multiple versions tuned for different group sizes. To me its a relief that 40 man guilds won't have to compete with 20 man guilds to gain recruits.
  20. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yay thanks for the clarification Scooter! could have gotten ugly in here :confused: /gasp