1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Music in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by ImmortalExile, Sep 1, 2011.

1. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I'm not sure how everyone else feels about the music in the games you play, especially MMO's, but to me, I really enjoy listening to what music selections were made for the areas, to set the mood, etc...
    I came across the Carbine Media page with two track samples you can find here: http://www.carbinestudios.com/en/media/

The music gave me a very nostalgic feel. At first the sound was very reminiscent of World of Warcraft, which I'll be honest, I really liked the WoW soundtracks.

I've been wondering if we know who the composers are for WildStar yet? I was also just curious to see who actually cares for the music? I don't expect everyone to feel the way I do about music, but I'm just curious.
  2. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

Yeah, those pieces there are fantastic, and I agree - very reminiscent of WoW, and not at all in a bad way: WoW has an excellent soundtrack that is not very easily forgotten. Listening to these, I can easily imagine what the areas they're made for are going to be like.

Jeff Kurtenacker is the lead composer for WildStar, and listening to the examples on his website gives me great hope for the music in WildStar.
    Dragor and ImmortalExile like this.
  3. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

Awesome! Not sure how I missed that info. Thanks, starspun.

I was also imagining where I would be when those tracks played. I can definitely see "The Awakening" being like an opening score for the game. Or either maybe when entering a very "epic" dungeon. I use the term epic in its actual meaning- Huge. Vast. Incredible.
  4. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

I think that bit is something easily missed at this point - the only reason I knew his name was actually because I had to pause one of Carbine's PAX videos just as the little graphic telling the viewer who's talking and what he does on the team appeared when I watched it last week.
  5. Foxentist

Foxentist New Cupcake

The music is very important to a game I believe, make or breakable to some degree. But I suppose if a game's music is really bad just turn it off and play your own list. But a game having its own iconic set pieces of music is great. One can never under estimate the power of music!

On the samples, I agree there is a sort of... WoW soundtracky theme. And while its good, I don't think it's so good for Wildstar. While I throw telekinetic weapons around, or shooting magic pistols at stuff, I don't want to think of medieval elves, orcs, and goblins trying to slash each other down. This is part Fantasy but the other piece is Sci Fi. In fact if it going to draw so heavily in terms of feel and style, I think it would be more appropriate to draw musical influence from Firefly (and even then I'd think it would be best if it was only here and there sparingly).

Good music can help make a game. Music used inappropriately can also help ruin it. Some games I just have to turn the music off because it just throws off the feel and the immersion factor.
  6. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Ah, yes. The ambient music of a place. Woe unto them who do not take heed.

Take the ever-classic Lux Aeterna vs the Benny Hill Theme. Both 'classics', in their own right, but not suited to every situation. Music is like this, and only the clever can match the unspoken narrative of music to the story they are trying to tell. Get it wrong, people are like "Huh?!", but get it *right*, and it's like Peanut Butter and Chocolate for the senses.

But, again, we *are* talking about Carbine Studios, so I have faith that I'll eventually be ripping my own "WildStar Soundtrack" CD for my Discman. Good music fits anywhere.

Darn it, ninja'd by Foxentist! Cuuuuuurse Yoooooouuuuuu ! :p
  7. goto

goto New Cupcake

That is because those were composed by the original World of Warcraft music composer Jason Hayes. He left Carbine this summer to work for Valve on DOTA2 (did that sound familiar :)). His music is pretty much draws you straight back to Azeroth. For him I don't know if that's a good or bad thing.
  8. Autumnal

Autumnal Cupcake-About-Town

Quality is, as Quality does.
  9. Frozenoak

Frozenoak Founding Member

While I believe in quality over quantity I hope they have a long soundtrack. If it's too short it becomes repetitive and I end up turning it off and the game always suffers for it.