1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My 2 biggest concerns with WS are,

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by FairyTailisBack, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I'm not really sure about my two biggest concerns, but I can think of a few things that I will be disappointed in or that I wish were different when I play on launch day.

One is the need/greed loot system. Sorry, but I just don't like it. I would rather just have random drops. Mainly because I don't really like pausing in mid fight to stare at a little pop up and decide if I need the item or not.

Two is the faction communication barrier. After all the threads on these forums it kind of saddens me that I might not be able to call that smelly chua names with my aurin. Or ask a Mechari if they are still in beta.

Third is the CREDD system. There are some things about it that just worry me that it might be really easy to abuse.

There are a number of developer interviews and videos concerning raids on youtube. It's been said that 5 man dungeon gear would be needed for 20 man raids and 20man raid gears needed for the 40man raids.

Now that I think of it, kind of concerned where pvp players will be if that's the case. Especially if pvp equipment is the same as top tie pve equipment.
  2. FairyTailisBack

FairyTailisBack Cupcake-About-Town

I would prefer a loot system where I got a choice,
    Need
    Offspec
    Greed

However, I could live with random.

I don't like the idea about the chat system though. I could easily see that being abused to harass people. I could maybe see having an option to turn it on, but certainly not by default. Although, there could be some concerns about rigging PvP as well.
    Domi Dayglow likes this.
  3. Domi Dayglow

Domi Dayglow Super Cupcake

I think I would be okay with a need/greed system that let me set defaults. For example, if I'm running around with my Esper, it would be neat to set the option to "Need for Psyblades with Assault Power Above X number" or so on. That way, I don't have to be so distracted at looking at things. It would be neat if I could also auto-pass on items that I didn't use like a warrior's sword.

Actually....I would like a system like that a lot.
  4. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

That is up in the air at this time... The problem with the CREDD system, is not the CREDD itself, but what we can get with it. People are going to pay real $$$ for a CREDD, so they are going to expect something good out of it. I mean, $15 good. So they need to be able to get good stuff, and constantly, for the system to work. If they can only get cosmetic items, then they may pay it once, and then stop getting CREDDs, and that would destroy the system (too much CREDD demand, not enough supply).

So CREDDs must be able to get the buyers good stuff. And constantly, and probably not just cosmetic items. Gear, power, etc. Sure, you can get the same things in-game, but it will take longer. So you cannot buy extra power, but you can buy power nonetheless, so it is a P2W in a sense...

The CREDD system sounds real good in paper, and we have a good working model in EVE (PLEX). However, in EVE, the way the economy works, it supports the PLEX perfectly. The constant ISK sinks, the everything-is-destroyable approach works great. I'm not so sure a standard MMORPG economy can support this system.

I guess it's just a "wait and see" at this time...
  5. Slink

Slink New Cupcake

I guess one simple way to fix the whole "what can we buy with CREDD gold" issue is make sure most everything that people would want to by with it player created/sourced via BoE drops and crafted. That way the prices of said "items" would be dynamic and fluctuate along with current CX prices. This is another reason why EVE PLEX works, there isn't npc's who sell important items at a fixed price(I don't think any items in EVE are fixed...oh wait skill books). Allow players to control the prices of these items and the economy will sort itself out.

Also another way to promote community and assist in this economy balance is to make crafted items require multiple other crafted items, the more powerful the item the more items required. eg: I'm a tailor and want to make some boots, I will need a belt buckle from a blacksmith and some tanned leather from a leatherworker in addition to my own cloth to make them. Really hope the crafting system promotes community and isn't it's own self contained solo player system. With the addition of CREDD people will be looking at many different ways to make gold, this means that there should be a lot of these types of items on the AH.

EVE also has a robust market/AH system which allows you to place buy orders in addition to sell orders(I really hope W* has this for CREDD at very least). For those that don't know a buy order is essentially telling the AH you want to buy X amount of Y item at Z price. That gets listed and now anyone can come along and agree to sell you Y item for Z price giving them gold straight away and you get the item/s from your mailbox/AH next time you log in. This type of system would help the above crafting idea, facilitate gold exchange between players and be an additional gold sink via AH taxes.

If EVE has taught me anything about mmo economies it's that if you give the tools to the players they will sort out most income imbalances.
  6. MacHaggis

MacHaggis Cupcake

eh? How can one possibly be -against- CREDD, let alone have so many pages of discussion about it?
    If people want to pay real money for ingame gold, they will be able to do so regardless. The only thing CREDD changes is that those chinese goldfarmers get shut out.

That's it. Harder for goldfarmers to spoil the game. NOTHING else changes because of CREDD being added to the game. Oh, and very succesfull players can play for free, there is that too. What a drama!
    GoatSlayrr likes this.
  7. FairyTailisBack

Maybe if you read some of the arguments you would have understood.

I am not against CREDD as long as it doesn't lead to a significant increase in the p2w nature of the game. If it doesn't, then Carbine is merely a competitor in selling gold. Which is fine, since it would be taking place anyways, and that yields more income for development.

Credd does nothing to stop other 3rd party sites though. They will still exist by undercutting the going AH rate.

You can't say that nothing else changes, because it does. Credd also yields a legitimate source to buy gold, so many people who would be in fear of losing their account will now also purchase gold.
  8. OriCakes

OriCakes Cupcake

Arkship Destiny - Awaiting Arrival on Planet Nexus

WoW's economy/BoE's/etc are not balanced around the fact that people can buy gold, as it is against ToS. If WoW implemented a CREDD system, it would essentially make it Pay-to-win, as there is a huge amount of things to make your character stronger bought using gold. Gems, enchants, reforging, BoEs in particular, and other things. Like I said previously, WoW is not balanced around people being able to buy gold.

When it comes down to it, people are going to buy gold. It's going to happen whether you like it or not. The difference with the CREDD system is that Wildstar WILL be balanced around people being able to buy gold. Therefore things like high-end BoEs might not even exist! Maybe BoE patterns for really nice gear that is BoP when made or something. I'm confident that Carbine has taken great consideration in how to acquire gear in Elder Games so that someone can't simply buy some CREDD, sell it, then have uber 1337 awesome 20 man tier raid gear. Only time will tell here but they have already stated that it is NOT a pay-to-win system.

It seems like everyone who is worried about CREDD making the game pay to win forgets to consider that the way one obtains gear and power upgrades will not be identical to WoW, as buying gold is built into the game.
  9. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Maybe pay to win to an extent, but the best gear in the game will require actually playing the game.
  10. OriCakes

OriCakes Cupcake

My point precisely. Advancing your character will require accomplishments in game, not a vendor + right click.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Sex.
  12. FairyTailisBack

Wait how do you balance a game around buying gold? Sell things that would take months worth of farming? Wouldn't that be like a big middle finger to anyone who doesn't buy gold?
  13. OriCakes

OriCakes Cupcake

How about just sell things that don't directly affect your characters performance in combat? Cosmetic changes, dyes, transmog, non-combat mounts, costume gear, gimmicky/toy items, etc

I think you misunderstood my use of balance. I wasn't talking about balancing the price of items. I was talking about balancing what items are available to buy with gold and what has to be earned through actually playing the game
  14. Deadinator

Deadinator New Cupcake

forgive me if i'm sounding ridiculous but having 3 sets of gear to juggle is silly. if youre wearing good gear out running around and somebody has focussed all their energy on pvp gear it sounds like youre just gonna have to stand there and take your beating and hope they leave you alone afterwards. with the introduction of the amps system where you can tailor your character more towards damage, utility, support, or pvp offense and defense, on would think that we could use a system where there doesnt need to be special gear stats for different reasons and the gear itself has its own weight and achievement. i'm all for earning the gear in different ways and making some of it only available by going all the way to reward the diehards, but taking away the relevance of gear achievement by making it non functional in certain situations is ridiculous, no?
  15. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

big exaggeration
  16. Paterk

Paterk Cupcake-About-Town

17. KADAMA

KADAMA New Cupcake

The real thing we have to worry about is that you can buy CREED from carbine, if this is true then it's a Pay to win. Steps are:

Buy the game + subscription fee + CREED and then in game trade CREED for in game currency when it's at a high price or reasonable price.

The big issue is do you really think carbine will say NO to CREED sales.
    If it's at 20 dollars then people will just do that instead of investing time with crafting and professions.

We already saw that hover board has the limited life span or at least limited usage, how do you think one player could acquire another one in game. Obviously thru crafting and that requires resources, time or currency. If they sell it it's another 20 dollars per player to their pocket, I really hope they don't. And it has to be earned rather than purchased, and if purchased it should be at a high price. Otherwise it's Payto win.
  18. Drokk

Drokk Cupcake-About-Town

Of course not. They make more money off a person buying and selling CREDD than they do if someone just buys a monthly sub. The CREDD gives the developers every incentive to 'encourage' players to buy gold. I am very worried about this.

What is this about a limited life span on a mount?

Ugh, I'm getting worried. It's the same feeling I had when ANet was talking about their Gem system. I thought it would be a terrible system, and it turned out worst than I even imagined. This gold selling cash-shop (that' simply what CREDD is) could sink this game.
    KADAMA likes this.
  19. Convicted

Convicted Super Cupcake

we already know that you can buy one for a small sum of gold, because a Carbine employee posted and said so, you really come off as trolling in many of these threads because of not searching topics and reading info for yourself, the Credd subject has been beaten to death back when it was first announced.
  20. Strydder

Strydder New Cupcake

Players do it regardless from a 3rd party, this way its in a safe and controlled environment

Mounts have a set amount of life and when it runs out, you get knocked off. It doesn't get destroyed in your bags or anything like that.

The gold you get from selling a CREDD is player generated not server like trading gems in gw2. So its going to take time for that money to be accumulated and you cant buy the best gear and weapons with gold, you need to raid/pvp to get them.