1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Art My, Creations? O.o

Discussion in 'WildStar Fan Creations' started by Skippy, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Well I decided to buy myself a Wacom tablet and basically mess around a little bit with some art work, I am a complete amateur at this with essentially no idea what I was doing, I've spent a few hours (yeah it has taken that long) to sketch up a basic outline of a female mordesh, but I have spent a lot of this time working on her legs / arms unsure of where I should go with them.

Being my first actual attempt at any sort of art I figured since I am calling it a night I would post what I have up here, and I ask that any of you who are more experienced than me (probably all of you) for some advice on where I should take this drawing. Any advice people can give is greatly appreciated at this time!

Mordesh female sketch.jpg

Here is what I have so far, I know it is extremely basic but I've spent a lot of time trying to get used to the tablet and playing around with arm / leg positioning. Again though, thanks for any advice people can give me!
    Siflay and Nicodemus like this.
  2. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

Am monitoring this thread... :p
  3. Skippy

wait what why? :confused:
  4. Ico

Ico Moderator • WSC's Gentle Flower

In a good way, not a 'ZOMG HE DREW BOOBIES' kind of way.
  5. Nicodemus

Nicodemus Well-Known Cupcake

Hey, this is Great. congrats on jumping right in. Something that Would help I think is using some reference, While Wildstar is rather cartoony, some good poses go a long way for believably.

Not Quite the same pose, but something like this really helps with clavicles, hands and hips, twisting hips and showing weight in a pose is a great foundation.
    [​IMG]

There are many Figure drawing websites out there and they help a lot. Its great work so far! any other question I'd be glad to help out.
    Skippy likes this.
  6. Skippy

haha good to know :p, they aren't boobies yet though, and will be covered in the end product.

thanks! and I was playing around with some different poses such as one leg forward one to the back, hands holding the hips and such, but they wound up looking really unco, its 100% inexperience and I need to work on getting some sort of ''depth'' to my stances without them looking so off. tis why any advice from seasoned artists is great!
  7. Pocketz

Pocketz Cupcake-About-Town

It's all about references! Studying realism, because you dont start with cartoons you start with realism.
    Cartoons are just realism in a simpler way, but you still need the basics.

So, "copy" a lot of poses, photos or other art. That means, just draw them by looking at the original. NO TRACING, you dont learn anything from that.

Practice practice! I'm glad I inspired you though. :inlove: Keep up the good work and keep posting it.

(took me several hours as well to set up my wacom the first time)
    Skippy and Nicodemus like this.
  8. Skippy

Haha after watching you doing the livestream I just felt like trying it so picked up the wacom on the way home from work, takes some getting used to but its getting there.

that is pretty much what I did with this leg pose though, I know it isn't traditional mordesh style pose but I pretty much googled something like "female leg pose sketch" and found one like this which looked rather simple, and simple is good for me at the moment. Still really lost where to go with her arms though.

I was playing with the idea of her leaning on a hoverboard or weapon but this would mean likely overhauling her torso while I'm at it. And likely changing her leg pose too.

Thanks for the inspiration though pockets! I'm havin a blast with it but have a LOT to learn, I think the last thing I sketched was a roughie of my grim reaper tattoo a few years back.
  9. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Must encourage you to keep going! :) I especially like the neck you've given this mordesh. It fits the almost skeletal body type very well in my opinion. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you. ^_^
  10. Revon

Revon Well-Known Cupcake

Did you use a rough sketch under it? Usually it makes drawing things "right" much faster and easier. First do a rough stick figure/box figure to get the pose and proportions right, then sketch the actual outlines over it, preferably on a new layer. Here's a couple of tutorials explaining it a bit better if you want:

http://kitten-chan.deviantart.com/art/Tutorial-Drawing-Guidelines-131249711

http://khakipants12.deviantart.com/art/Drawing-Tutorial-2-Hetalia-184981829

It's looking really good so far, especially if you're as new to this as you make it sound like. The lower body needs to be a bit longer/bigger I think, but other than it's looking great. :) I like the long neck, just like Siflay said, it fits. I hope to see it finished soon :D
    Siflay likes this.
  11. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Penis legs...
  12. kaimarshall

kaimarshall Cupcake-About-Town

Hi :D Welcome to the... art side. We don't have cookies, though. I'm glad you decided to give drawing a try.

I strongly suggest you make a DeviantArt account so you can keep other artists' amazing tutorials in your favorites for future use. It's very important that you learn the basics of a somewhat realistic style before jumping into a more cartoony style of drawing. It really helps a lot. But of course, you do what you feel the most comfortable with.

Like Revon said, working in layers is a must. You need to lay down a very rough sketch of the main idea you have in mind, and do a cleaner version of it on another layer, this time adding more details and shape.

One common mistake a lot of beginners do, is that they make the lines short and dark. You do not want to do that. Instead, you want to make the lines long, light, and flowy. You may go over them over and over until you find the right opacity.

Also know that you can use reference! it's okay to copy other artists' work for personal learning purposes. Observing, replicating, and innovating is how we all learn :)

I can't wait to see it finished!
  13. Skippy

Nah I didn't, using the tutorials you linked though I have re-started my drawing using the stick figure rough.
    I am as new as I make it sound, before this the last thing I sketched was a few years back and that was my tattoo design (was a real rough sketch), and before that? probably back in school and I'm 23 now.
    I'd like to see it soon too but it is very much a work in progress and a large learning curve for me, It's gonna take some time :p

I am keen to make an account, I think i'd just rather get atleast one picture complete or very close to so I have something to put up.
  14. Skippy

Ok so i've re-worked my sketch / outline using the methods in he tutorial and gotten this so far, I'm happier with it than my last, but still a long way to go! Mordesh outline.jpg
    Pocketz, Siflay, Inukeu and 1 other person like this.
  15. Death

Death Cupcake-About-Town

Can ALREADY see the progress you've made. It sounds like you can see you're developing as a drawer too. Keep going Skippy! ^_^