1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My understanding of the 6 classes in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by AusterlitZ, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

This is the graphic representation of what i think the classes in W will be capable of.Note that i have named the last 2 classes "Healer" and "Hand Cannon" to avoid any spoilers.

Untitled.png

The only dilemma i have is that the hand cannon class will be able to heal or not,my guess is it will,since every big MMO has a "jack of all trades" class.Share your thoughts,and forgive the crude ms paint skills.
    Neon-M likes this.
  2. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

Every big MMO except WildStar that is, they have stated that they will NOT have a class that will be able to do all roles ;)

Neither will they have:
    dps/dps
    tank/heal
    CaptainYoul, Neon-M and Kataryna like this.
  3. Dende

Dende Cupcake

I would even consider the stalker 50/50
    I believe he will play a major roll in taking with all the avoidance in single target tanking and warriors for aoe tanking

I really really love the fact that there are several classes capable of healing/tanking to even out the lack of tanks/healers in eg wow
    LoweGearShift likes this.
  4. LoweGearShift

LoweGearShift Cupcake

As someone who fell deeply in love with the Monk in WoW, particularly the Brewmaster spec, I hope to the Eldan that the Stalker can stand toe-to-toe with the other tanks in term of viability.

Off-Topic but am I the only one REALLY looking forward to being a Mechari Stalker Tank? Robo-Wolverine is going to be a blast!
  5. ruff_ethereal

ruff_ethereal Well-Known Cupcake

You're not the only one, really, and trusting Carbine, I believe this will be a case of Spy vs. Heavy: a good one will mow down the opposition, in vastly different ways, so neither are inherently superior; they're all situational and skill-based.

Back on topic, Carbine has specifically stated that you can only do ONE role at any given time, but have your 2nd role on backup. You cannot do both at the same time, or at least do it efficiently, most especially with the LAS in play.

There is no "3rd" spec, by the way; every class gets 2 roles, and 2 roles only.

PS. SPELLslinger. We use guns, but they're MAGIC guns. Very important distinction!
    vicksen likes this.
  6. Angier

Angier New Cupcake

afaik the split is always 50/50. Difference is playstyle and thus depending on what you prefer more.
  7. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

yea, i'm with the every class is 50/50 split on what they can be - they've said that there's NOT a "main healer" (the person who said there was had misspoken) and that all healing classes are just as viable as the others. this means 50/50 on healing/dpsing - so i'm assuming it's the same with the other two.

AND as Extatica has said - no dps/dps, no tank/heals, and no tank/heals/dps.
  8. AusterlitZ

One of the unrevealed class is 100% more inclined for healing than the esper,just by looking at the amount of healing skills it has,so i think we will have a "main" healer,but i'm pretty sure the other classes speced into healing will do a good job as well
  9. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

Carbine has said that the "main healer" quote was a misspoken comment. And we've not seen even half the spells for any of the classes - Just the very few on bars during Cons - so we cannot know how many or few healing spells a specific class has.
    Huffle Puff, Chim and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  10. Xlugon Pyro

Xlugon Pyro Super Cupcake

Basically what Kataryna/Extatica said.

Two roles across all classes. No main healer but 3 healing classes.

The notion of "main" healer in terms of a class archetype is a very outdated design standard anyway, not to mention bad design as a whole. Let's not go back to the days where only one class can tank and other classes are full-on dedicated healers.
    Chim and Vexed like this.
  11. AusterlitZ

I'm not talking about quotes from devs,i'm talking about the class that is actually in the game,the skills it has,for me it's way more inclined to healing than all the others.
  12. Eiderescole

Eiderescole New Cupcake

I don't think the number of skills matters so much when you can only have 6?7?8? at a time.
    Kataryna likes this.
  13. AcidBaron

AcidBaron "That" Cupcake

The idea that one class will be more able of healing than another is false, developers won't do that as it forces raid groups to pick certain classes and disregard others completely.

All classes will have a dps and either a heal or tank spec and all of them will be able to do their job just as well.

Nobody in their right mind would repeat that mistake of the past, they might gain advantages indirectly with certain boss mechanics that makes shielding more effective than HoTs to give a random example but that's about it.

'hand cannon' will also only have two roles, i'll let you guess which beyond the obvious dps one :)
    Chim and Kataryna like this.
  14. Xlugon Pyro

Support! No, pizza delivery! No raid would be complete without its very own pizza boy!
    Extatica likes this.
  15. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

[​IMG]

Also gratz on your new title ;)
  16. Isgu

Isgu Cupcake-About-Town

This.

I think the hardest thing to do in MMO's nowadays apart from a compelling endgame is class balance. All of the dps classes need to be able to compete with each other on the meters, every healing class and tanking class needs to be equally viable, the only difference should be play style (abilities and the other stuff that goes with).
    So if were talking about the roles classes will be capable off it really should be 50/50, ofc that isn't so easy to achieve but still hope it turns out like that ^^
  17. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

What brought you to the conclusion that the stalker will have such a low Tanking potential?
  18. Kataryna

Kataryna Super Cupcake

probably because it's a "rogue" and not a "warrior", lawls
    Trigger, Chim and Xlugon Pyro like this.
  19. Xlugon Pyro

^

An assumption made based on past "rogue" tank design. Carbine ought to have enough experience to make stalkers as viable as warriors in tanking. It would be a mistake not to have them balanced comparatively.
    Platelet, Chim and Kataryna like this.
  20. Mellkor

Mellkor Well-Known Cupcake

>.> There have been functional Evasion tanks in other games...