1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My understanding of the 6 classes in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by AusterlitZ, Jul 17, 2013.

1. AusterlitZ

AusterlitZ Well-Known Cupcake

1.Because it will be the pure range dps class,while esper is not
    2.Gaffney himself says that some classes are better at a role than others
    3.Because of reasons i cannot post,since i will get infracted for breaching the NDA
  2. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

From Wildstar website http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/spellslinger.php
    So the Spellslinger can be a Healer or DPS. I also think Gaffney was referring to classes being better at certain roles than others in terms of classes naturally being different from one another thus making one better than the other by a few % in heals or dps just like in any MMO.
    Kataryna likes this.
  3. AusterlitZ

Yes,that is what the thread is about,classes being % better at a role than others,while everyone in the thread telling me that's not true,and all classes will be able to do top dps,which is nonsense,all healing classes will be able to heal the same max amounts,which again is nonsense.
  4. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

The problem is with how you guys interpretate what he says + the picture you showed in the first post....the differences you show us are absurdly big and will screw things up, hence people's ''valiant'' reactions against it.

But it may also just be:
    With ''roles'' he (probably) doesn't refer to the Holy Trinity roles (tank/healer/dps), but more to the sub-roles in raids/groups each role can have.

See these sub-roles as: (examples)
    Healer:
    Spellslinger = a good 1 target healer
    Esper = a good AoE healer
    <REDACTED> = a good Shielder/HoT healer

Tank:
    Warrior = a good 1 target tank
    Stalker = a good anti caster tank (caster boss with spell dmg)
    <REDACTED> = a Good AoE tank

DPS:
    Well you can figure these ones out yourself :p

So unless Gaffney says what he meant by ''roles'' we can only speculate.
    The actual differences between how good a Stalker tank and a Warrior tank will be able to tank are most lickely far below what you've ''showed'' in the first post.
    You can see it more as in WoW how the healers were. In TBC you didn't really put a druid as a MT-healer if you got a priest/paladin in your raid. Some healers were just a bit better at doing some role within the raid then some other.

But I agree that in the beginning it may seem like some classes have the potential to be able to tank or heal better, since they get some spells at an earlier level.
    But unless you have seen ALL spells on ALL max level characters (which you haven't),we can't say it for sure.

Also....just a note....it wouldn't be the first time Gaffney said something that later got ''revoked'' for being a misstatement/not entirely true.

Because his last comment abuot the new classes saying ''it will be a......and a main-healer'' this got revoked and they later said ''there will be NO main-healer in this game''.
    So if your chart in the first post is true....then that means we have a ''main-healer'' (differences are too big to not call it a ''main''), and therefore Carbines statement would be not true.....

+ the hand cannon not having 3 roles....it's kinda confirmed in so many posts that no1 will have 3 roles (roles of the HT). You can't really argue about that ;)
  5. AusterlitZ

My point was not to show that there will be large differences in class potential,i agree,the chart i made is an exaggeration of the actual possibilities the classes have,my point was to show that even though you will be able to successfully heal/tank/dps with more than 1 class,some will be better at it,a natural result of having CLASSES.i don't know why people react so violent to a class being better at something than others,if all classes had the same potential we would see a bland environment where people will find the best class that achieves the goal easiest and completely ignore the rest.

Don't try to twist what Gaffney said,he was obviously referring to the holy trinity roles. "Jeremy Gaffney : On the Trinity system all classes have at least two roles. Pretty much everybody can DPS because, in general, if you make a non-DPS class with no ability to DPS, it’s going to be gimped during just basic solo leveling solo. If you have no DPS roles you are going to be advancing slower, and it’s very hard to get around that. In general the characters can DPS. There’s a scale, some are better, some are worse, but there is a role you can put yourself in or there’s a spec you can do, or gear set you can put on, to have a viable sort of DPS spec. We try to vary up the fights"

The only game i can think of where classes are almost identical is PoE,and they get away with it because the classes can use all skills in the game,all weapon and armor types,so that creates immense versatility,but even with that system,90% of people use the same cookie cutter builds because of this lack of potential difference in classes.

I don't understand why people oppose so much the idea of Spellslinger being best dps,Warrior best tank and the "hgaidhia9doahd" class being best healer,if Carbine managed to do the other classes right,they will be able to do the same roles maybe not as efficiently,but in different ways,different ways which will make them valuable assests to raiding/warplots/sPvP
  6. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

I feel I was misunderstood in my previous post so here goes...

1) I didn't go by the picture at the beginning of this thread. Instead of trying to argue what I meant I'll use an example: Get two different ranged DPS classes of the same MMO (for me it was WoW) in same level gear and have them go through optimal rotations on a training dummy and (with a large enough data sample to eliminate outliers) on average one will have a higher DPS than the other usually somewhere between 1-5% difference if its balanced pretty well that percentage will be on the lower end.

2) I wasn't thinking about roles in that way when I made my post. Makes a bit more sense. Healers and Tanks to me fell into a special roles (some were better than others on certain bosses) more than number crunching I probably shouldn't have mentioned healers in my previous post.

3) Why I used the word "think"
  7. Aldem

Aldem New Cupcake

People probably don't want to ultimately be pidgeonholed into one role simply because it's the most effective for their choice of class. Unless they put a disclaimer in every class' description in the form of "by the way, even though this class can DPS it is actually much better as a healer" then a lot of people will be pissed.

My ideal view is that the classes are best at their respective roles relative to the encounter they are facing. I do not know how the mechanics are right now but say you face a boss in which having you spellslingers heal and your espers DPS would be more effective, and in the next boss having your spellslingers DPS and your espers heal is more beneficial. I'd argue it's better that way than just saying one class is the be all end all for X role.
  8. Ulfur

Ulfur Cupcake

Yup this is how I feel about classes. Like my class for my class and not a numbers chart.
  9. Extatica

Extatica Super Cupcake

As I said:
    I think the differences will be something similar to as in WoW.

Kinda instead of:
    Why put a Druid healer on a MT if you got a paladin healer?

This will be:
    Why put a Spellslinger healer on a MT if we got an Esper healer?

Things like that :D

And tanks will be like:
    Oke, this is a mage boss....<REDACTED> You tank this one!

Oh noes...now it's some council (multi-mobs-boss) Stalker.....You're up!

Heavy hitting single boss, with lots of single target things.....Warrior you're the MT while the Stalker and the <REDACTED> take some of his auto-cleave dmg.

Or things like that ;) Or atleast I hope so.....I don't want 1 tank to be able to just tank everything...then there will be less need for ''others'' really...

I'm not twisting his words.....but the sentence I marked can be interpretated in many ways.

1. He can say this in General, so even one who likes healing more can put on some skills in his LAS or change some gear/stats (aka specc) to even do moderate amounts of damage for solo content.

2. He talks about the differences between classes.

3. He talks about the differences between sub-rolls within a class.

4. He talks about the Sub-rolls you can put yourself into, like:
    Spellsinger would be better in the roll of AoE dmger, Esper in the single target dmger, <REDACTED> in the debuffing/DoT's dmger etc. etc.

Don't forget that he begins this part talking about the solo content and how you would advance slower if you wouldn't have damage (like some healer roles in other games).
    So mayby it's just that he talks about that even people who gear up/stat up mostly for being a healer in dungeons still have the option to change things so they have enough dmg in solo content (lvling content).

Unless we have more clarification all those options CAN be true.
    Rafael Dellamora and Ulfur like this.
  10. Haversham

Haversham Cupcake-About-Town

This is a bit of a stretch of logic don't you think? You may be reading too much into what JGaff said in that quote right there compared to the many other times Devs have stated that all classes will be able to DPS and either heal or tank, not all three.
    Kataryna likes this.
  11. mikoico

mikoico New Cupcake

i think the hand cannon clas is less tank then stalker, but we will see
  12. Marakesh

Marakesh Cupcake

I worry a bit that the style is getting crimped because they feel they need to shoehorn the all classes tank and heal idea into their class lineup regardless. Not sure how I feel about magic bullets healing for a spellslinger. Its the class with the most style, I was sorta thrown by the magic + pistols thing at first, but they look really good doing it. Healing with pistols, however, just seems silly.

If the rumors are true and the unannounced healer class is the medic ( can I assume if this gets redacted I now know for sure the rumor is true? :) ) I don't see it as a class with a lot of style given its generic name and then how is it going to dps?
  13. Skippy

Skippy Well-Known Cupcake

Infracted for breaching the NDA? This implies you are under an NDA and even letting people know you are under it is breach of it.

But also not having read over everything in this post, just checking the OP I have to disagree with the representation, saying stalkers can't tank as well as warriors for example? Why is that? Because their ability to tank comes down to avoidance? Dunno if you played wow but druid tanks are avoidance tank and have always held their own against warriors and the likes.

The representation in the OP really represents nothing more than me saying "the esper is gonna be the best tank".
  14. AusterlitZ

the site is under NDA,you cannot reveal restricted information on it,even though personally you are not under NDA
  15. Skippy

And the fact you have this "restricted information" means you are in the beta, datamined the client or have looked for someone who has and putting a representation on here that is based on this "restricted information" counts as being info not appropriate for this site doesn't it?
  16. AusterlitZ

where do you see me break the NDA?i only said 1 word which i should't have,which the mods removed,why are you derailing the thread,we are not debating what's allowed info or not,we are discussing classes in Wildstar
  17. Skippy

We are discussing classes in this thread, based on a visual representation you put up that as you have said, is based on what is in the game at the moment. Last I checked what is in the game at the moment is under an NDA. So I'm not derailing anything by questioning the legitimacy of the info in the OP.
  18. AusterlitZ

Wrong,the OP image does not claim to be a current representation of classes,it's what i think the classes in W will be capable of
  19. Skippy

You seem to be talking of what the class has in game? how exactly do you know what the class has? we have only seen VERY limited spells of each class (and nothing from the two <Redacted> classes), so how can you come to the conclusion by what the class actually has in-game?

Again, this is me questioning the legitimacy of the information you are putting across with your ''representation''.
  20. Rafe

Rafe Cupcake

That's exactly what I think it is most likely. And also it is hard to predict since we all know that even in beta ppl don't have access to all skills due to level cap (as the patch notes that they published after the leak attest so). With that in mind, and knowing from gameplay videos that you choose a specific set of skills... I do believe you can specialize your character into a role. There will be differences and niches for each of the healers, tanks and dps, yes I think so. But I don't think they would design a class that can tank/heal or dps that is subpar at it in all niches, it is just not efficient.

Examples of niches:
    Healers - Aoe heal, hots, shields and damage mitigation, single target....
    Tanks - Aoe tank, single target, avoidance, magic defense... could even have offtank with high dps
    DPS - Aoe dps, single target dps, dps while moving, multi target dots(2-3 targets), high burst damage...