1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

My understanding of the 6 classes in WildStar

Discussion in 'WildStar Classes & Paths' started by AusterlitZ, Jul 17, 2013.

1. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Looking at the patch notes that have been published, it certainly looks like Spellslinger has lots of healing abilities, and like Stalker has a lot of tanking abilities (although it's possible they're not as effective as intended). It also seems like Carbine is fairly focused on balance, since they already changed Warrior threat generation to be the same as Stalker.

Of course, balance can never quite be perfected, but I think the biggest disparity in which classes we see will doing which roles will be a result of the player-base's affinities. Many people who like tanking will naturally just choose Warrior, where as most people who choose Stalkers will probably want to be DPS assassins. In WoW I remember there was a point where Druid tanks were stronger than Warriors, but they were still fairly rare. Once a class becomes overpowered in a role they do become plentiful (*cough* paladins) but I get the impression that Carbine is going to do their best to avoid that.
    Kataryna likes this.
  2. yoblack

yoblack New Cupcake

I don't believe that's nonsense, MMO Devs stopped with the "main healer', "top dpser" and "Best tank" business a long time ago. Players don't want to be limited in that way and it simply doesn't make for good balance in a game. By making certain classes the "best" at one thing over other classes, it limits guild recruiting and player flexibility. Why roll a half-a@@ healer when every raid guild will want a "main" healer? Why roll a subpar DPS when you can role the top dps? and so on. on the flip side, why roll a main healer if you can't dps effectively on your own? And if you can you will be labeled "OP" until your class gets the nerf bat. Or worse end up being the FOTM healer that everyone ends up roling?

The best course is for them to balance the classes so that they can all do the same job (tank/heal/dps) effectively, yet differently. In that way players have some variety and can enjoy what they are doing without being locked into only one ("the best") class. The days of the absolute trinity are over.
  3. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

I think if people use language like most popular or easier and not "best " then this thread all comes together.

Even if the classes are very well balanced or standardized , some heals or tanks will " feel " better or just have better PR :).

If we have a tank that just stands and absorbs , I'm sure that will be easier and more popular !

But it doesn't mean the others will be enviable , it will just be hard to Pug with em :)
  4. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Thankfully my brother is rolling a healer, so I'm purposely going to pick the most mobile tank that is the hardest to heal. No easy-mode for him!
    Zadok, achesoma and AimLock like this.
  5. AimLock

AimLock Cupcake

Ahhh brotherly love :)
  6. achesoma

achesoma Cupcake

lol, as a long time healbot I feel your brother's pain. I imagine with telegraphing and skillshots that all tanks will have to be very mobile. So I think you're in luck with any class you choose to tank with. ;)
  7. binzer

binzer Cupcake

Well, according to the patch notes, warriors can get a defensive buff for standing still for 3 seconds, so I guess there's skill in standing still as well! It will be a fine balance. I'm guessing the last tanking class will be available for Chua, so there's always the option of being a tiny hard-to-spot tank too ^________^

Actually though, when I told my brother my plan he embraced it (darn!). Apparently he gets vegetative and stops paying attention when he's not always on his toes, so I'm practically doing him a favor ;)