1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Naming Policy

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Black Wolf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Always a tough subject. I think it is because it's a very personal one. A name is important. It defines your character. I spend sometimes hours to find a good name that suits my character. I try to find a name that matches the race and in a smaller way the class.

Personally I hate seeing names that are not related to the world we 'live' in. It annoys me greatly. It's the reason I played most of my mmorpg time in RP realms. The naming policy is more strict there. You still see silly names sometimes, but a report fixes that most of the times.

I'm curious to see how you guys and girls see this subject. Are you the same as me or do you just don't care? How do you want the naming policy?
    Mudfin, Lyas Tyrell and Fate Flyer like this.
  2. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

I agree with you and hate to see names that do not make sense, either race or world. Not sure how you get around that though without causing a huge burden on GMs.
  3. Zap-Robo

Zap-Robo Administrator • King Cupcake

Interesting topic!

The names that bother me the most are compound phrases like "Imthebestest" or "Fearme". Compound names are likewise irritating, but I can get over it (and even use it if I have to, to enter "Zaprobo" for instance - my prefernce ingame is to enter "Zap-Robo" or "Zaphod Robotnik").

Hopefully the naming facility allows for a (limited) number of spaces and/or other characters.

In terms of naming for WildStar, much like in EVE, AO or SWG/SWTOR we're living in a futuristic space-faring society so I feel no naming "convention" is particularly warranted or should be mandated by the game itself but I do like inbuilt naming generators that are race specific.
  4. Chrilin

Chrilin Cupcake-About-Town

Yep.... Have to love the names like "Ipwnnoobs" and the like lol.

Seriously though, I have had a toon named Chrilin in every mmo I have played. It's definitely a fantasy inspired name, but not very original. I spend hours rolling and re-rolling my toons to get them as close to feeling like they belong in the game as I can, so I know exactly what you guys mean.

Other than the RP circuit though I would have to agree with Dyraele, it's very hard for Gm's to enforce naming policy outside of something being outright offensive. It will be interesting to see how Wildstar handles this subject.
  5. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

I just saw "Ignore Me" in the most recent GW2 stress test. haha

In SWTOR I had RP like names, but now in GW2 I have been choosing gamer tags.

Maybe a bit of lore on the racial naming conventions would help or as Zap suggested a name generator.
  6. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

Ooo very interesting topic this. Completely forgot about it. Just forwarded a question to Victoria for her upcoming Q&A incase it gets mentioned.

I too have noticed a trend in ignoring many toons names now. I have fond memories of the GM's roaming EQ with their nerf bats ready to name change the ipwnyou's of the world back then. Heh I even remember one showing up to a wedding once and slamming about 3 of the spectators while waiting for the groom to show up.

Anyway, I digress. My personal naming rules would be this:

No freakin ASCII characters. I do not want to hold alt and hammer out about 300 numbers just to find the right combination to spell someones name.

Actually thats it...thats my personal peeve. I know with any large mmo its hard to not run out of names and they opened that option up in wow down the line to ease that. But seriously, imo its <REDACTED>.

I did love my swtor guild of 5 of us though. <Your Companion> - only swtor players would understand that but it was great to stand near someone and confuse the hell out of them as to why Corso Riggs has just mutated into a jedi knight or whatever toon your playing as :)

But by my own rules, that shouldn't have been allowed heh. I think it breaks the immersion a lot when you turn a corner and run into someone with a , interesting, name...
  7. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

You realize every character is an ASCII character right? :p But I understand what you mean. I don't really mind those to be honest. It's just the names that are made out of sentences or even the dutch names for the class names that do exist. Like Pastoor for Priest. But that last one is impossible to avoid.

I think a mandatory character generator for at least the RP realms would be a great solution.
  8. Chrilin

I had a toon named Prefect after the Ford Prefect character in A Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
    Started playing Tera and saw NPC's all over the place named prefect after a type of officiant. Total letdown, I just never equated the two.
  9. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

I think players should call themselves whatever they want to call themselves, RP isn't the only way to play the game. IPWNNOOBS
  10. Billco

Billco Cupcake-About-Town

heh yeah I couldn't remember what they were called.
  11. Black Wolf

Black Wolf Super Cupcake

Well whatever people want isn't really an option to be honest. Some names can be insulting for example. But yeah, a naming policy shouldn't be too strict on non-RP realms.

It's just that a name is so important for me, that I most of the time 'flee' to an RP realm to get more immersed into the lore and game.
  12. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

No one said anything about making flat out insulting names. Your statement here is that you hate any name you cannot make sense of.
    bitbandit likes this.
  13. Dyraele

Dyraele "That" Cupcake

Well, to me it is names that do not make sense in the world, which a few of us said, and that doesn't exclude insulting names so they have to be included in the discussion.
  14. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

Let say I have an insulting name for you, like your a "anusnugget" and the sense of that is its meant to insult you and there's nothing you can do about it. So to further discus this I think this is appropriate because it does make sense in the world.
  15. ObliviousPrime

ObliviousPrime "That" Cupcake

To some its easier to have their character be named after their gamer name/tag. Maybe they are called xyz for example by their friends and guild mates so they might just call their main xyz.
  16. starspun

starspun Well-Known Cupcake

No, that would be a terrible solution. Name generators tend to have a finite number of combinations, and generally all the ones that are decent and/or pronounceable tend to be taken within the first few days, if not less. Then you end up with names such as "Hrsxhla" or "Urzshf" - imagine how much it would bother people to be forced to use names like that - especially people who have a set number of names or characters they like to reinvent for each game they play while sticking to the same or similar name(s).

I know roleplayers would love to see a perfect world where there isn't a single immersion-breaking name on their designated servers (if their chosen game has one), but then again people have different opinions on what does and doesn't constitute as "immersion-breaking", although I think we can all agree that the likes of "Ipwnu", "Patiofurniture", "Ivlagic", "Getbent", "Acetaminophen" and "Asdfghjk" don't belong.

I think a better solution is having a brief version of the naming policy very clearly displayed when you choose a name, as well as a short list of names typical to your character's species, and an inspirational source or two for their names - in addition to an optional name generator. LotRO does two of these (inspirational source and name examples), and if someone is found to be in violation of the RP server's naming policy, GMs will change their name without warning, and often leave the "victim" quite befuddled - I've seen a few instances where people have been really upset about their sudden name changes.

That is in no way appropriate nor does it make sense in any way. Fine, you may yell "anusnugget!" at someone in order to insult them, but it's a whole other thing to actually name a character that - and even if you think it's world appropriate, I can guarantee you that any GM that responds to a naming violation ticket containing the name will either ask you to think of something new or just change your name for you immediately.
  17. SiegaPlays

SiegaPlays "That" Cupcake

One thing about naming, I would like to preorder for the chance to select my main character name before launch :p
    bitbandit and ObliviousPrime like this.
  18. Chrilin

Yes, yes and yes... The names go so fast now. When Swtor launched the problem seemed very acute. I think a lot of people were jumping to different servers and creating placeholder toons.

I would like to see something done to prevent this at the launch of Wildstar. Maybe something like not allowing a single account access to more than a couple of servers for the first week or so?
  19. Sprby

Sprby Cupcake

You find this not appropriate, but there's nothing wrong with "anusnugget" that would have a GM find this a violation, except if it a real tight RP server, and those can have all kinds of restrictions as we know. On a regular server like in Wildstar this should be acceptable.
  20. Evion

Evion WildStar Haiku Winner 2012

Actually no, that name would likely fall in the realm of "profanity" for reporting due to Anus being in there. That is inappropriate and it'd be like someone shouting the f-bomb in your face all day as they stand next to you at the mailbox. You have to consider, is it offensive to other people and why?