1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Naming Policy

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Black Wolf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. moneda

moneda Cupcake-About-Town

Leveling-up... hair-raising adventures... exploring a world totally unlike your own... those sound like something I could totally see myself doing in an MMORPG, even in a party with someone named 5l4y3r.

Also, TBH I see no difference between a character name and a gamer tag. There's no inherent difference between Moneda and m0n3d4 to me.
    Luciamund likes this.
  2. Naunet

Naunet Well-Known Cupcake

And there's where we divide. I don't particularly want my RPG experience littered with "5l4y3r"s. Those aren't other characters; they're just gamers or chatbox folk.

[edit] I'm really at a loss as to why so many folks are fighting tooth and nail to keep numbers. I can't think of a single other MMO that allows numbers in your names. It's not like this is a standard thing that everyone has grown to expect - and for good reason, I think.
    kiri and Huffle Puff like this.
  3. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

I am a bit put off by crude, nasty, or disrespectful names. Numbers in names might be good for the robot race, Mechari...but not nearly as cool for a human...unless they are a clone or something.

The only way we can get unique names is to add a two or three part name ... is it being considered?
  4. InnocentCivilian

InnocentCivilian "That" Cupcake

I'm normally not a fan of numbers in names, but this is a sci-fi game and Mechari are a playable race :p. For that reason alone, I think that it would be a bit of a shame if the players that wanted numbers for their robot name couldn't get them. :p
  5. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

I think to me this is a big difference I know there will probably be right click options for character interaction. If someone runs by you and doesn't say anything in chat box or you are already typing it's easy to remember Moneda and say type /w moneda rather than trying to remember what that was and type /w m0n3d4, and probably alot easier to type the letters as well for most people.

Now I know you could say well hard to remember names can already be in game but in my experience names like "jkdhsaf" as usually bots, people tend to go for recognizable words, names or things you can sound out yourself.
    Khrusky and Seagrey like this.
  6. Seagrey

Seagrey Cupcake-About-Town

Ah...now I get it.
  7. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Please leave the shirtless Granoks out of this conversation...imagine the names created for people intent on playing shirtless characters now. Nooooo!!! :D
  8. moneda

Not that I expect or desire to be able to use numbers in my name when the game is released, but I will normally back any initiative that gives players a choice to do something rather than limit their ability to do something.

Heh, you wouldn't know it but almost everyone I've gamed with online has had a lot of trouble saying or remembering how to say moneda. I see your point though. ;)
  9. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

I've seen people in real life with cock in their name but I have never seen someone with numbers in them. If we also allow numbers, why not allow symbols? I don't understand? I would love to have my avatar named 3========o. If it breaks immersion to you then you are a weird person!
  10. moneda

How does one pronounce that name, exactly?
  11. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

Haha, I named my character "123 Numbers" in Neverwinter (Beta) and ran around saying, a few times, numbers shouldn't be included in game names. The general response was "way to make your point". Everyone I encountered had normal names, and so many folks had RP D&D names. I wonder how many folks blocked me instantly. My next character was "L33T Names", run up to a bunch of folks and /wave and you can feel the disapproval through the interwebz!!! :p
    Aheadache, Naunet and moneda like this.
  12. Vembumees

Vembumees Cupcake-About-Town

Same way as one pronounces 1337574Y3R69
    Huffle Puff and moneda like this.
  13. Kalmander

Kalmander Well-Known Cupcake

I would not quite go so far... It's good to have choices, but they have to fit in with the image the developers have for the game. I would not like to see elves, orcs, lich kings, beholders, simply because someone wants that choice. Or playable chickens, microbes, or other weird stuff just to give choices... Ok, maybe playable chickens would be cool.

The choices have to fit in with the lore, world, and game Carbine is trying to create. Green hair may be an option they believe is good for their world (and with their cartoony style, it fits just fine). I hope they make the best choice for the game/lore (in their opinion), even if it is not the most popular choice. I just hope their opinion changes and does not allow numbers (that is my personal opinion).
    moneda and Naunet like this.
  14. Azzurri

Azzurri Podcaster

Penis.
  15. moneda

Touché.
  16. Mike Hatley

Mike Hatley Cupcake

Wait, you are a member of the elusive Pen15 club too?! We really need a secret handshake.
  17. potaco

potaco New Cupcake

So, in order to prove your point that giving access to numbers would cause people to create silly names, you yourself created a silly name? In other words, the people that complain about numbers are the ones that can't help but to use them in silly ways?

And please, can someone explain why seeing someone with a number in their name is inherently worse than seeing a dumb name without numbers?

"L33T Names" is bad, but "LEET Names" is OK?
    "123 Numbers" is bad, but "OneTwoThree Numbers" is OK?
    "Potaco1" is bad, but "PotacoHashtagYOLO" is OK?

EDIT: To clarify, I don't plan on using numbers in my names, but I don't see any legitimate reason to stop others (the closest has been the "would be too hard to whisper people" argument, but there are plenty of legitimate letter-based names that are difficult to remember, too).
    Nami and Mike Hatley like this.
  18. Psycho

Psycho New Cupcake

I voted "No" Because I don't like Numbers in name never in games especially MMORPG's and I do get why people are like "NO" but for Merchari "YES" but I still say "NO" because there is no guarantee that that people will use good names like C3PO or HCR-328, we will just end up with Merchari named : 5lay3r , 3picPr0 , L33tR0b0t.. and therefore I said no numbers at all to prevent horrible names like 5lay3r
  19. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Well I'm certainly not here to force my opinion on anyone, I've put forth my views here and if you disagree that is fine, you are entitled to that. I was simply trying to answer the question that Gaffney asked "Is there a argument against numbers in names?" If the arguments presented here seem legitimate to the devs I'm sure they will think about them and if not we'll have numbers in the name and I'll get over it and have fun in the game nonetheless.
    potaco likes this.
  20. Calsic

Calsic Cupcake-About-Town

So true. I just looked at my guild list in GW2. It's full of names I can't pronounce and definitely couldn't spell from memory. And I'm not even on an RP server. The game world is full of simple names though -- ones like "Awesome Deeps" and "Fresh N Cute". I can spell them pretty easily. Better right?

I bet we wouldn't even be discussing this if the game were out.