1. Hey Guest! If you're more than just a WildStar fan and want to keep up on the latest MMO news, reviews and opinion pieces then I'd like to suggest you visit our sister site MMO Central

Naming Policy

Discussion in 'WildStar General' started by Black Wolf, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Eluldor

Eluldor Cupcake-About-Town

If you're not following NW, the game is in beta. It was no more than presenting feedback to the community/developers, these characters will be wiped. The class I played the most had a normal name. NW also allows the use of a space, and by default names have two parts - allowing many normal usages without numbers and symbols.
  2. ThePandason

ThePandason Cupcake

Agreed. A no vote here as well.
  3. Faulted

Faulted Cupcake

I'm not a fan of numbers in names, just because of how silly they can look. I would much rather it be letters only.
  4. Sabre070

Sabre070 Cupcake-About-Town

I'm always disappointed when I can't have my name in an mmo because it doesn't allow numbers.

If you don't want numbers than that's fine but don't force people to have horrible names just because they can't put numbers in them.
  5. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Looks like you're missing your number in your avatar graphic! ;)
    Khrusky likes this.
  6. Sabre070

So.. Seems I'm being forced to play Mechari or have a <REDACTED> name, AWESOME.
  7. Sabre070

Yeah, but my avatar graphic can't be taken by other people :p
  8. Soylentgreen

Soylentgreen Well-Known Cupcake

Wait... what? Nothing has changed yet numbers are still allowed. I think he was pointing out rather tongue-in-cheek like that your avatar name is "Sabre" so your name doesn't include numbers, unless you wanted Sabre070 and didn't pick it because Sabre was taken.

Edit: Ninja'd
  9. Lethality

Lethality "That" Cupcake

Yes, my humor has failed once again hehe.

I still like the idea of having "numbers" be an option slider for the Mechari. This would be a compromise where you couldn't pick your number specifically (it would be generated by the game) but you could pick the length of it, the position (before or after the name, etc). This wouldn't satisfy the request completely, but it would let Mechari have a lore-based name with numbers for folks that prefer it.
  10. Sabre070

I actually hadn't seen your post until the second one (where I replied).
  11. Aheadache

Aheadache Well-Known Cupcake

Mechari should be the only ones that get numbers in the name :rolleyes:
    Fate Flyer likes this.
  12. Nami

Nami New Cupcake

As it has been stated you can make bad tasting names without the need of using numbers. Since the game will be featuring sentient robots I am fine with numbers in names in WildStar, though I will always refuse to use them. I will still disregard any whispers sent from "PotacoHashtagYOLO" the same as I would from L337B0b, but if their names make then happy and aren't blatantly offensive then let them be happy.
    Mike Hatley likes this.
  13. Bisqquit

Bisqquit "That" Cupcake

These number flaunting fools should never be allowed a glimpse of happiness! Mwahahahahaha.......
    Soylentgreen likes this.
  14. Poet

Poet Cupcake

Usually not for restriction in my MMOs but I am in the "mo numbers mo problems" group on this one. But it think it is an all or nothing deal. Not for the robot only!
  15. Celtkhan

Celtkhan Well-Known Cupcake

Eh, numbers and spaces were allowed in City, but the number of dumb names was surprisingly low. I still remember one of the most "1337" name I ever saw was on a character whose concept was "reformed Freakshow slicer."

Ah, Freakshow. I still remember beating the tar out of T3h PwnZ0Rz!! to get my Pwnz badge. Good times.
  16. Yianna

Yianna New Cupcake

I hate that in most games 0-9 are allowed but space, -, ", ' and ´are not! If i want the name Kel'Thuzad I have to use KelThuzad or even Kelthuzad and that sucks.
  17. ImmortalExile

ImmortalExile Cupcake-About-Town

I agree with this. Leave the numbers in the name to Mechari only, as thats what would make sense Lore-wise. But, yeah... on RP servers, as much as I don't want to sound like a douche, I don't want to see them. Period. (Aside from Mechari).
  18. Sabre070

RP servers fair enough (you can't really RP someone with a number in their name) however in non-rp servers I would love to be able to have numbers.
  19. salixfire

salixfire New Cupcake

I personally don't care if numbers are included or not. I'd much rather find out what someone is like instead of discriminating because their name has a number in it. I'll most likely avoid someone with WomanH8r as a name just as much as WomanHater but I don't really care if you're called Slayer compared to 5l4y3r.
    Calsic likes this.
  20. Fate Flyer

Fate Flyer "That" Cupcake

I agree with the overall consensus and dislike that numbers are allowed in names. However, that I can deal with. On the other hand, given that we can only have one name and no last name (major bummer for us roleplayers and probably my biggest disappointment with WildStar), I hope we can at least reserve character names before the game is released. Hopefully, pre-purchasing or pre-ordering the game will allow this.